News Christine McCarthy to step down from her role as Chief Financial Officer

MrPromey

This is true. I guess I was more thinking guilty by association with the super hero theme. I think it hammers home that uhhh there’s Justin of a big fan base for the flash?
DC, since they have tried to take shortcuts to establish their own MCU strategy, have had more misses than hits.

This is one of the last movies still in the cannon for that failed strategy that they've already announced is more-or-less getting scrapped in favor of a reboot so on top of all the trouble with the star, this movie always had a hill to climb.

I suspect that's why they promoted the Michael Keaton angle - to try to make people interested and curious to see it as a standalone.

Clearly, that wasn't enough to resuscitate it, though.

I'm sure the folks at WB/DC aren't happy but by this point, I think they've learned to deal with disappointment on a fundamental level, in general.

Last edited:

Cliff

When talking about DC, it's important to know that the Flash and Aquaman II were the last two movies under the "old" Walter Hamada Warner regime. These are not really James Gunn productions. These are the last to be flushed out in the old pipeline.

pdude81

DIS is below $90. It’s lost $1.70 today alone. How low does it have to go u til they lose confidence in Iger? No way that stock should be that low based on the year over year performance of the market.
I honestly think Iger has done what needs to be done since returning. But how long until his handpicked board tells him to take a hike? When he is ready

Tha Realest

When talking about DC, it's important to know that the Flash and Aquaman II were the last two movies under the "old" Walter Hamada Warner regime. These are not really James Gunn productions. These are the last to be flushed out in the old pipeline.
Yes. But. Blue Beetle has been christened as something of the first new DCU film. And that’s going to post Elemental like numbers.

Tha Realest

DIS is below $90. It’s lost $1.70 today alone. How low does it have to go u til they lose confidence in Iger? No way that stock should be that low based on the year over year performance of the market.
Buy guys…we’re changing culture….

JoeCamel

Im very curious myself....but not just with "Elemental"....but about many titles Disney has released in the past three years. I dont know the answer.

Question: Does the "culture war" mean anything at all? Generally speaking, this country is divided 50/50. Yes, that pendullam swings and sways back and forth... but on average...half the country votes one way, the other votes the other way.

I think what is increasing on both sides is the hatred for each other. Neither side has any tolerance for the other any more and I think the hatred for the "other side" is just intensifying.

When any company says: "We have chosen sides and will fight for OUR side in this battle" Well?...you just forced half the country to be your "enemy". This spirals downward very fast in business and as public awareness rises so does the battle. Your comany has now become a political football and nothing good becomes of that.

This is why it is soooo dangerous to allow your company to dive into the culture war. Just dont take sides! Dont tell the country "We are officially on the side of party X and against party Y" Even if you dont specifically announce this...if you even "infer" this to the public...then you are already in the fight.

I dont know how this will all play out. I dont know how much Disney's overall brand is affected by the culture war. I dont think anybody fully understands the depth of it yet.

Traditionally, Disney has done a good job of staying out of it. It focused on mass appeal to either political side. This tactic was a big part of their success. Example....everybody loved "Lion King". It didnt matter if you were young or old, man or woman, LGBTQIA ir straight. From America to China....we all loved it.

Disney "were" the masters to making EVERYbody happy...all the time. Today?...they seemed to have lost that ability. (Or...it just doesnt "want" to any longer)
I wonder who it was that steered TWDC to get to this point? Maybe the same guy that is still in charge?

MagicHappens1971

On the “streaming wars” and it’s box office effect, here are just 5 comments I took from social media.

This is why post-Covid films aside from the odd ones out, No Way Home, Mario & Maverick aren’t making what they used to.
IMG_0866.jpeg

JoeCamel

On the “streaming wars” and it’s box office effect, here are just 5 comments I took from social media.

This is why post-Covid films aside from the odd ones out, No Way Home, Mario & Maverick aren’t making what they used to.
View attachment 725488
We have jumped the shark.
It used to be the theatre experience counted for something in viewing a work along with many other people but now those other people are annoying.
Good time to be a bunker salesman so everyone can hide out and be served only to bemoan the death of society on the internet loud and proud

MagicHappens1971

We have jumped the shark.
It used to be the theatre experience counted for something in viewing a work along with many other people but now those other people are annoying.
Good time to be a bunker salesman so everyone can hide out and be served only to bemoan the death of society on the internet loud and proud
I still regularly watch movies in theatres but I think for many, it’s kinda of a cost thing.

JoeCamel

I think that also definetly plays a part, the theatre experience has been “luxurafied”
Like so many things from food portions to justify a higher price to multipacks or cable bundles forcing you to buy more than you want the business schools taught that if you added "Value and Features" people would pay no matter how much waste there was along the way.
It's all driven by the increasing Q over Q returns model which just Walmarts everything in the end

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And these are the numbers for people who say they are willing to pay at a theater so see it. Red is seeing it in theaters, green is willing to pay either in theater or home.
That is a gigantic difference. Indy is gonna be fun to watch play out. I bet we can expect the same results as the fried fish movie…more or less
Pretty sure I said that on one of these here threads yesterday about good ole Bob

Midwest Elitist

Im very curious myself....but not just with "Elemental"....but about many titles Disney has released in the past three years. I dont know the answer.

Question: Does the "culture war" mean anything at all? Generally speaking, this country is divided 50/50. Yes, that pendullam swings and sways back and forth... but on average...half the country votes one way, the other votes the other way.

I think what is increasing on both sides is the hatred for each other. Neither side has any tolerance for the other any more and I think the hatred for the "other side" is just intensifying.

When any company says: "We have chosen sides and will fight for OUR side in this battle" Well?...you just forced half the country to be your "enemy". This spirals downward very fast in business and as public awareness rises so does the battle. Your comany has now become a political football and nothing good becomes of that.

This is why it is soooo dangerous to allow your company to dive into the culture war. Just dont take sides! Dont tell the country "We are officially on the side of party X and against party Y" Even if you dont specifically announce this...if you even "infer" this to the public...then you are already in the fight.

I dont know how this will all play out. I dont know how much Disney's overall brand is affected by the culture war. I dont think anybody fully understands the depth of it yet.

Traditionally, Disney has done a good job of staying out of it. It focused on mass appeal to either political side. This tactic was a big part of their success. Example....everybody loved "Lion King". It didnt matter if you were young or old, man or woman, LGBTQIA ir straight. From America to China....we all loved it.

Disney "were" the masters to making EVERYbody happy...all the time. Today?...they seemed to have lost that ability. (Or...it just doesnt "want" to any longer)
The "culture war" isn't 50/50, more like 40/60. But not everyone in the latter camp agrees with everything their side pushes.

Casper Gutman

The Southern Baptist Convention launched a very high-profile boycott of Disney in 1997 because the company was too LGB friendly. History is jam packed with "culture warriors" attacking entertainment for supporting civil rights and minority representation.

About 20-25% or less of the country is active culture warriors. They have an incredibly loud, efficient, and well-funded noise machine that produces significant amounts of money and power and gets a lot of media attention. "Staying out" of the culture war they perpetrate means not increasing minority visibility, which isn't neutrality, its giving the warriors what they want.

Cliff

The Southern Baptist Convention launched a very high-profile boycott of Disney in 1997 because the company was too LGB friendly. History is jam packed with "culture warriors" attacking entertainment for supporting civil rights and minority representation.

About 20-25% or less of the country is active culture warriors. They have an incredibly loud, efficient, and well-funded noise machine that produces significant amounts of money and power and gets a lot of media attention. "Staying out" of the culture war they perpetrate means not increasing minority visibility, which isn't neutrality, its giving the warriors what they want.
Perhaps you are 100% correct. We have reached a point in history that I REALLY want to know the answer to this question,...one way or the other.

For that reason, I'm hoping that Disney pushes through and doubles and tripples down on it's DEI and ESG efforts. I really want to see a long term analsys of the financial ramifications on this subject.

I want Disney to make every property gender and ethnically flipped. ALL of them! Yes,...I want Disney to make Mickey himself gay and black. Why?....as a social experiment, I want to see what happens to their brand in 5 more years. I want every movie deeply LGBTQIA+ and I want deep political themes and messages like pro choice and racism in EVERY Disney movie for kids in the next 5 years.

I think this would give us better data to judge if DEI and ESG works or not. Im not even being sarcastic here. I really want the answer to this "culture war" question, once and for all.

If the Disney brand survives and flourishes?...that would be excellent for the future of the DEI movement. If Disney crashes?....well, that would be sad to see. But,...at least we would get a solid answer to the question.

I think that Disney could be one of the best social experriment labs that we could implement for this research

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The SBC and their antics never put a dent in Disney…hell, they MADE money off that “boycott” and still to this day.

The only difference today is the protests are even less grounded in ideology and the people stirring trouble are alot more stupid. They don’t know their heads from their seats

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I honestly think Iger has done what needs to be done since returning. But how long until his handpicked board tells him to take a hike? When he is ready
See I think he exposed his “flanks” and is 1001% miserable…

He was the beneficiary of a very long “confidence game”…some skill but alot more luck. It’s not “gratifying” to a long vocal critic like me - cause I want high quality Disney stuff - but it does say something.

Ok…maybe gratifying 🤓

But look what he walked into.

Disney stock decline is based on real numbers and failing performance. He thought “hey…I’m the confidence man…that’ll fix it!…”

Wrong, buddy. Egg on face. The street blames YOU for the performance because of the bad product you started reeling out in 2015 or earlier (you do the math)

But look at the landscape…more like a hellscape

All these movies are BAD with limited exceptions. Marble is listing sideways…Pixar and feature can’t do much right. They’re gonna have to cryogenically freeze Tom Hanks to keep it afloat…
I’ll say nothing of “other” content for civility

Streaming isn’t a money maker…really for anyone. It’s a loss leader for the 2 bigger dogs and necessary evil for the other 2 big networks. only Netflix makes a decent go of it and that just barely decent.
He can’t deliver what he promised and he probably knew it. They need unsustainable subscriber numbers paying unsustainable fees for diminishing product. It can’t be done. Watch that play

How about parks?

Their gold mine compound is being outmaneuvered by the world’s worst 1980s cable company. Thoroughly outclassed for 15 years on a lb for lb level. And because of his incorrect hubris/Philosophy they can do nothing. They are gonna have a gigantic park dropped on them with zero response while their prices are being questioned on Main Street…
Allowing that last part to happen is malfeasance. Fireable. Can’t happen.

How about overseas? Financed parks that generate no interest in either Disney product nor entertainment that is controlled by a totalitarian state. The last real one on earth…kicking it 20th century style.

And that doesn’t scrape the massive board room and executive mismanagement. More just dropped today.

It’s all on Bob. He should be fired and maybe.

Time for everyone to wake up and care about Disney…not this twit.
Here’s your gold watch…sail it to New Zealand

Last edited:

BlakeW39

why in god's name are people so obsessed with this culture war nonsense... it's such B.S.

we all know this right? like the culture "war" is ridiculous and 100% does not exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom