News Christine McCarthy to step down from her role as Chief Financial Officer

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Being "on deck" is the absolute worst place to be when it comes to Bob Iger - lest you been seen as a possible replacement for him within the company. Ask Tom Staggs and Jay Rasulo how that went.
That’s what’s funny

I have watched the praetorians RAIL on Eisner for doing that for 25 years…and Iger is him x3.

He doesn’t fire descent. He hushes it under NDAs and NCCs and changes their life.

Nobody had katzenberg or Ovitz “go away”…And Roy was NOT to he Messed with.

Anyone seen chapek or Sue Arnold?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
That’s what’s funny

I have watched the praetorians RAIL on Eisner for doing that for 25 years…and Iger is him x3.

He doesn’t fire descent. He hushes it under NDAs and NCCs and changes their life.

Nobody had katzenberg or Ovitz “go away”…And Roy was NOT to he Messed with.

Anyone seen chapek or Sue Arnold?

I for one would welcome a Staggs/Rasulo combo back on top of Disney, with Rasulo as CFO and Staggs as CEO. But those two aren't coming back to the dumpster fire that their previous boss set.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I for one would welcome a Staggs/Rasulo combo back on top of Disney, with Rasulo as CFO and Staggs as CFO. But those two aren't coming back to the dumpster fire that their previous boss set.
I think outside is the ONLY way now. They need a full deck sweep.

I could support staggs with a real creative in a power share?
Perhaps…

But there can’t be “business as usual” now. They’ve have to pivot deliberately as they had to prior.

Also…why the hell is Iger back on the board???

No need. None for a “temporary/transitional ceo”
He was on there for 18 years and griped on his way out. A year prior.

That’s too long for anyone…anywhere:..in anything. Not in a public company.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rasulo openly hated the parks! They were both very much part of creating the late Eisner years and the current situation.
Under iger’s direction

You are full aware the parks guys takes all the arrows from the skirmishers…

I think we can see that he wasn’t the BIG problem then.

Everything done in parks…which ain’t looking good right now…fits iger’s mind trap to a T

lazyboy97o

Under iger’s direction

You are full aware the parks guys takes all the arrows from the skirmishers…

I think we can see that he wasn’t the BIG problem then.

Everything done in parks…which ain’t looking good right now…fits iger’s mind trap to a T
I’m fully aware that you’re little more than a stochastic parrot that spams threads with incoherent, contradictory nonsense to try and look informed. Claiming Rasulo and Staggs just followed Iger is yet another clear example.

Cliff

Therein lies the problem.

Many would prefer Disney just entertain us and provide us with great products and offerings like they once did without forced things that can be controversial to some
I agree with you....

But you know that is never going to happen....right?

The company that Walt built.. the company that many legacy fans fell in love with...is gone. They use his name and image to appeal to our sense of nostagia. It's just a marketing device today.

How many people here believe that if Walt were alive today and in control of the company...would approve what it is doing today? Yeah...nobody.

This company WILL be used for political and social activism...period. it is the PERFECT tool to do that with and it will not ever be seperated from activist investors and employees.

The "old" ways of the company are never returning and it's time to let that dream go. What we need to do now is take our hands off of it...sit back and watch it do it's thing. The company will enguage in it's mission. It will either suceed or it will die. I dont know which...but at this point all we can do it watch and take notes.

Will DEI and ESG and social activism float Disney for the next 100 years? Yes!...it very well might! Will it kill Disney?...Yes!...it very well might!

The only way to know the answer is..let go..sit back and watch it all play out. You can't fight it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m fully aware that you’re little more than a stochastic parrot that spams threads with incoherent, contradictory nonsense to try and look informed. Claiming Rasulo and Staggs just followed Iger is yet another clear example.
What time is your shift, Oracle?

First off - for clarity - I didn’t say they ONLY followed orders….nor do I love them . But the root problem is out in the open now.

But you keep doing that cute “we are all artists in Orlando” routine.

Go back to your standard “ignore”…I won’t mind at all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
On the “streaming wars” and it’s box office effect, here are just 5 comments I took from social media.

This is why post-Covid films aside from the odd ones out, No Way Home, Mario & Maverick aren’t making what they used to.
View attachment 725488
I don't get all the media blaming this on Disney taking films right to D+ during the pandemic...

What else should they have done? Just not release anything and go into hibernation? Put the films into the vault and maybe release them 2-3 years later? They were still expected to be growing D+ during this period, and it was the ultimate opportunity for streaming services during the pandemic. Putting prime content on your DTC platform isn't some major pivot.. the movie theatres basically didn't exist during this period.

And the shrinking release window of films (highlighted by the comments above) is something that wasn't created by Disney releasing these to D+... it's a byproduct of the economies of the theatre and distribution model. It's been shrinking and shrinking for years now as studios (including Disney) manipulate their splits and distribution paths with the theatres. The 'how quickly was it on DVD' thing has been around for AGES... and then it was PPV... and now it's D+.

DTC streaming releases of theatrical releases is just the same thing that happened all before 2019... it's just who the players are has shifted and again the timeframes are being compressed.

If there was more money in the theatres... they wouldn't be pulling the films so quickly. The consumer trends are driving this along with the economic constructs the industry has created with theatrical releases. It's not D+ releases...

BlakeW39

Lol, some of you folks on this board are so small and petty. It's honestly kind of a shame. Because there are a lot of cool people here. But then some inflated jerk comes along and ruins it.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

this is yet another example of your inflated ego 💁🏽‍♂️ nobody here requires your validation. But if you disagree with someone you can either politiely tell them why, or keep quiet and ignore them.
In order to disagree with a point one first must be made. Blasting threads with tons of "cryptic" posts to try and look like an insider is not a point. Telling every person with a complaint about Disney they're right, no matter how nonsensical or worse, is not an actual point that can be debated because it's not a coherent idea, and a lot of it looking to valid rather awful positions that extend outside of a discussion of Disney.

MagicHappens1971

I don't get all the media blaming this on Disney taking films right to D+ during the pandemic...

What else should they have done? Just not release anything and go into hibernation? Put the films into the vault and maybe release them 2-3 years later? They were still expected to be growing D+ during this period, and it was the ultimate opportunity for streaming services during the pandemic. Putting prime content on your DTC platform isn't some major pivot.. the movie theatres basically didn't exist during this period.
I don’t think it’s fair to blame Disney for doing what they did. However I think it’s interesting to contextualize this unique situation, because let’s say this happened (the pandemic) 10-15 years ago. Would all of the studios pivoted their content to Netflix? PPV through cable networks? Rushed DVDs to production and sold them at a premium?
And the shrinking release window of films (highlighted by the comments above) is something that wasn't created by Disney releasing these to D+... it's a byproduct of the economies of the theatre and distribution model. It's been shrinking and shrinking for years now as studios (including Disney) manipulate their splits and distribution paths with the theatres. The 'how quickly was it on DVD' thing has been around for AGES... and then it was PPV... and now it's D+.
I think Disney (and all the other studios) need to widen the gap between theatrical release & D+ (their respective streaming services).

I think another factor in this whole discussion is that all of the studios have turned to the every film theatrically released is a “blockbuster” method. Anything lower budget or deemed to not be commercially successful gets a Direct to Streaming release.

You can’t get people in the theatres every weekend. It’s just too expensive for families.
If there was more money in the theatres... they wouldn't be pulling the films so quickly. The consumer trends are driving this along with the economic constructs the industry has created with theatrical releases. It's not D+ releases...
I agree with you on all your points I was just sharing my opinions above. With that being said, consumer trends are driving this. If movies were making more money in theaters they would stay off the streamers longer.

All in all, unless the film has major MAJOR box office draw, it is not going to make pre-pandemic numbers. Just not going to happen.

Plus 2019 is an awful metric to use for Disney as a whole, that was probably one of their best box office years ever. My personal opinion is the “Premier Acce$$” model of D+ is the way to go to subsidize the lack of box office revenue. The problem is that the board is pressuring Disney to get a ROI on D+, Disney feels pushing and unloading content on to the service will keep people subscribed and garner new subscriptions. I would also pull PPV through other services like Apple Store and such and just offer the premier access through D+.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t think it’s fair to blame Disney for doing what they did. However I think it’s interesting to contextualize this unique situation, because let’s say this happened (the pandemic) 10-15 years ago. Would all of the studios pivoted their content to Netflix? PPV through cable networks? Rushed DVDs to production and sold them at a premium?

Most likely - the companies would have sought out 'how can I make money with this thing I already sunk $100mil into'. They need to survive, not stand up for morality.

I think Disney (and all the other studios) need to widen the gap between theatrical release & D+ (their respective streaming services).

I think another factor in this whole discussion is that all of the studios have turned to the every film theatrically released is a “blockbuster” method. Anything lower budget or deemed to not be commercially successful gets a Direct to Streaming release.

It again goes to managing your assets. They don't release everything to theatre because of costs and creating their own competition. I'm sure it's more crushing to the people behind the films then it is to us who just want to see it where ever.

You can’t get people in the theatres every weekend. It’s just too expensive for families.

Relative I think it's doable... but reality is the landscape is busier, and going to the movies isn't a default activity for the latest generations like it was in the past. Sometimes the landscape changes even no fault of your own. Adapting is better than hoping things never change :)

Plus 2019 is an awful metric to use for Disney as a whole, that was probably one of their best box office years ever. My personal opinion is the “Premier Acce$$” model of D+ is the way to go to subsidize the lack of box office revenue. The problem is that the board is pressuring Disney to get a ROI on D+, Disney feels pushing and unloading content on to the service will keep people subscribed and garner new subscriptions. I would also pull PPV through other services like Apple Store and such and just offer the premier access through D+.

All the rear-view mirror critics are blaming failing theatrical releases on the pandemic releases direct to D+ - that's what I'm mainly speaking to and I think it's utter garbage talk. Comments made without looking at all what was happening before that point and why every movie release is behaving like these <4 week cycles -- not just Disney/Pixar. It's beyond lazy, it's just downright ignorance.

MagicHappens1971

All the rear-view mirror critics are blaming failing theatrical releases on the pandemic releases direct to D+ - that's what I'm mainly speaking to and I think it's utter garbage talk. Comments made without looking at all what was happening before that point and why every movie release is behaving like these <4 week cycles -- not just Disney/Pixar. It's beyond lazy, it's just downright ignorance.
I haven’t seen this so that’s an interesting take that these critics are using.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom