News Christine McCarthy to step down from her role as Chief Financial Officer

drizgirl

Is Father's Day weekend typically a lower attendance time for movies? Surely they have the historical figures on this. And why would they choose to debut it Father's Day weekend if it historically has lower attendance?

matt9112

Flash is a bit tricky as the star of the movie has had repeated violent outbursts in public and multiple restraining orders. So if you are have trouble reconciling a principled superhero who is more famous for being nuts than being in movies, you might not go see The Flash. If you are someone who believes conspiracy theories about Disney being too woke and trying to groom your children, the star of that movie also has had been charged in one case and a restraining order granted for another for inappropriate contact with children.

Elemental looked pretty great in the previews I saw, but I found myself surprised on Thursday to learn it was coming out the next day. I'm a bit surprised it is doing so poorly, given pretty good RT scores. But I truly didn't have any idea it was coming out... and if Indy 5 will be hitting the big screen two weeks later, that's where I'll put my $15.

The flash box office would be unaffected by the so called small groups of people who think disney is grooming children. If in fact they are small groups. Therefor I’m pretty sure the movie just sucked ? Unless you think a very large and substantial amount of the population is pushing the woke woke disney thing? To be fair I don’t think it’s as fringe as many on this board do. But it’s also not going to sink movies. I also had no idea about the actors off screen issues. What I do know is I don’t really give a damn who or what the flash is.

Cliff

Stock market opens in a few hours, I assume you will have a buy order for $DIS in hand?
DIsclaimer: I am an extremely optimistic Disney fan and NOT an actual financial advisor. This is NOT professional investment advice and do NOT take it as such....

Why not buy Disney stock? Disney has been dilligently promoting the correct messages in their products. They have been teaching DEI very well and they have been the "good citizens" of society that Bob Iger has publically stated their goal was.

Disney has been doing everything 100% correctly according to the DEI investment rule book. I believe that DEI based investors will reward Disney very well. Disney's high ESG score will carry them through this temporary culture storm!

Yes,...its true that they have had a string of bad luck lately. They are under pressure to go BACKWARDS and change course by many "haters" today. But I think that they need to continue pushing forward and fight the culture war with more love. Disney, dont turn away DEI money right now. Your brand, your cultural significance around the world is too important to Enviromental, Social Governence movement to abandon it. Stay the course! Wall Street's biggest DEI/ESG players will NOT let you fail.

This comany carries the name of a man that we ALL know would be very disappointed if they gave up on DEI and ESG now.

Disney....keep strong on your message and do it for Walt! Dont give in to the "haters" in this world. Make Walt look down from Heaven at all of this with pride and joy for the company he started a hundred years ago.

Yep...I'm buying lots of Disney stock. It's the right thing to do for society today and for the future. Disney is leading the way for DEI/ESG investing and they cannot take their foot off the throttle!

pdude81

The flash box office would be unaffected by the so called small groups of people who think disney is grooming children. If in fact they are small groups. Therefor I’m pretty sure the movie just sucked ? Unless you think a very large and substantial amount of the population is pushing the woke woke disney thing? To be fair I don’t think it’s as fringe as many on this board do. But it’s also not going to sink movies. I also had no idea about the actors off screen issues. What I do know is I don’t really give a damn who or what the flash is.
I don't think a substantial group is pushing the "woke Disney is bad" narrative, but I've seen it pop up enough that I think it represents a larger subset of people who aren't comfortable with any letters or symbols beyond LGB. And I agree that's not enough to sink a movie, but if all of the word of mouth relative to the star of a movie is bad, then needs some positive push elsewhere to overcome that. There are a lot of comic book fans driving the sales of these movies, and I believe that they care about who is playing the character. So whether you're someone who can't reconcile the Flash who sacrifices himself for the sake of humanity against someone who drunkenly attacks people at parties and bars, or someone who can't deal with a star who says they "barely identify as human", you're not going.

For the record I wasn't saying I think the Disney-Desantis thing hurt Elemental. I'm truly curious about why that hasn't done better. Though I say that as someone who is interested in the movie and didn't go see it.

matt9112

I don't think a substantial group is pushing the "woke Disney is bad" narrative, but I've seen it pop up enough that I think it represents a larger subset of people who aren't comfortable with any letters or symbols beyond LGB. And I agree that's not enough to sink a movie, but if all of the word of mouth relative to the star of a movie is bad, then needs some positive push elsewhere to overcome that. There are a lot of comic book fans driving the sales of these movies, and I believe that they care about who is playing the character. So whether you're someone who can't reconcile the Flash who sacrifices himself for the sake of humanity against someone who drunkenly attacks people at parties and bars, or someone who can't deal with a star who says they "barely identify as human", you're not going.

For the record I wasn't saying I think the Disney-Desantis thing hurt Elemental. I'm truly curious about why that hasn't done better. Though I say that as someone who is interested in the movie and didn't go see it.

I have heard mixed things from elemental. Granted I have heard even worse things about the Doug based short that precedes it. Apparently some unforgivable things occur.

Artwork looks pretty but I guess the kicker is we all know everyone knows it all comes to disney+ eventually so…. Why go pay? It really has to be something that’s worth the time and effort. Disney wants to double dip. Sell you a ticket and keep you on disney+

Magic Crush Drop

DIsclaimer: I am an extremely optimistic Disney fan and NOT an actual financial advisor. This is NOT professional investment advice and do NOT take it as such....

Why not buy Disney stock? Disney has been dilligently promoting the correct messages in their products. They have been teaching DEI very well and they have been the "good citizens" of society that Bob Iger has publically stated their goal was.

Disney has been doing everything 100% correctly according to the DEI investment rule book. I believe that DEI based investors will reward Disney very well. Disney's high ESG score will carry them through this temporary culture storm!

Yes,...its true that they have had a string of bad luck lately. They are under pressure to go BACKWARDS and change course by many "haters" today. But I think that they need to continue pushing forward and fight the culture war with more love. Disney, dont turn away DEI money right now. Your brand, your cultural significance around the world is too important to Enviromental, Social Governence movement to abandon it. Stay the course! Wall Street's biggest DEI/ESG players will NOT let you fail.

This comany carries the name of a man that we ALL know would be very disappointed if they gave up on DEI and ESG now.

Disney....keep strong on your message and do it for Walt! Dont give in to the "haters" in this world. Make Walt look down from Heaven at all of this with pride and joy for the company he started a hundred years ago.

Yep...I'm buying lots of Disney stock. It's the right thing to do for society today and for the future. Disney is leading the way for DEI/ESG investing and they cannot take their foot off the throttle!
Is this satire or genuine?

el_super

Is Father's Day weekend typically a lower attendance time for movies? Surely they have the historical figures on this. And why would they choose to debut it Father's Day weekend if it historically has lower attendance?

It was a long three day weekend for some federal employees celebrating Juneteenth.

Artwork looks pretty but I guess the kicker is we all know everyone knows it all comes to disney+ eventually so…. Why go pay? It really has to be something that’s worth the time and effort. Disney wants to double dip. Sell you a ticket and keep you on disney+

Which is great news if people are paying for Disney+ and expecting more content there. Are they paying enough for it? Are movies now over valued?

People don't mind paying $10/mo for everything on Disney+ and they don't want to pay $12+ bucks just to see one movie. What is the answer? Cheaper movies targeted for streaming only? Higher prices for Disney+? No one really knows yet.

Cliff

Im very curious myself....but not just with "Elemental"....but about many titles Disney has released in the past three years. I dont know the answer.

Question: Does the "culture war" mean anything at all? Generally speaking, this country is divided 50/50. Yes, that pendullam swings and sways back and forth... but on average...half the country votes one way, the other votes the other way.

I think what is increasing on both sides is the hatred for each other. Neither side has any tolerance for the other any more and I think the hatred for the "other side" is just intensifying.

When any company says: "We have chosen sides and will fight for OUR side in this battle" Well?...you just forced half the country to be your "enemy". This spirals downward very fast in business and as public awareness rises so does the battle. Your comany has now become a political football and nothing good becomes of that.

This is why it is soooo dangerous to allow your company to dive into the culture war. Just dont take sides! Dont tell the country "We are officially on the side of party X and against party Y" Even if you dont specifically announce this...if you even "infer" this to the public...then you are already in the fight.

I dont know how this will all play out. I dont know how much Disney's overall brand is affected by the culture war. I dont think anybody fully understands the depth of it yet.

Traditionally, Disney has done a good job of staying out of it. It focused on mass appeal to either political side. This tactic was a big part of their success. Example....everybody loved "Lion King". It didnt matter if you were young or old, man or woman, LGBTQIA ir straight. From America to China....we all loved it.

Disney "were" the masters to making EVERYbody happy...all the time. Today?...they seemed to have lost that ability. (Or...it just doesnt "want" to any longer)

Last edited:

Nubs70

Im very curious myself....but not just with "Elemental"....about many titles Disney has released in the past three years. I dont know the answer.

Question: Does the "culture war" mean anything at all? Generally speaking, this country is divided 50/50. Yes, that pendullam swings sways back and forth... but on average...half the country votes one way, the other votes the other way.

I think what is increasing on both sides is the hatred for each other. Neither side has any tolerance for the other any more and I think the hatred for the "other side" is just intensifying.

When any company says: "We have chosen sides and will fight for OUR side in this battle" Well?...you just forced half the country to be your "enemy". This spirals downward very fast in business and as public awareness rises so does the battle. Your comany has now become a political football and nothing good becomes of that.

This is why it is soooo dangerous to allow your company to dive into the culture war. Just dont take sides! Dont tell the country "We are officially on the side of party X and against party Y" Even if you dont specifically announce this...if you even "infer" this to the public...then you are already in the fight.

I dont know how this will all play out. I dont know how much Disney's overall brand is affected by the culture war. I dont think anybody fully understands the depth of it yet.
With a 50/50 split, any controversial stance will put off a majority of one side and a portion of the other side for not taking a strong enough stand.

For example, this little beer thing brewing. A position was taken, a great portion of "the other side" was offended while the vocal side of the opposite side was offended. Combined, this adds up to a majority of the customer distribution.

Had there been a more muted stance, or none at all, only the vocal minorities of both sides would have been offended. A benign "Beer for All" campaign would have been better

pdude81

Im very curious myself....but not just with "Elemental"....but about many titles Disney has released in the past three years. I dont know the answer.

Question: Does the "culture war" mean anything at all? Generally speaking, this country is divided 50/50. Yes, that pendullam swings and sways back and forth... but on average...half the country votes one way, the other votes the other way.

Traditionally, Disney has done a good job of staying out of it. It focused on mass appeal to either political side. This tactic was a big part of their success. Example....everybody loved "Lion King". It didnt matter if you were young or old, man or woman, LGBTQIA ir straight. From America to China....we all loved it.

Disney "were" the masters to making EVERYbody happy...all the time. Today?...they seemed to have lost that ability. (Or...it just doesnt "want" to any longer)
I think Disney needs to see where the world is headed and move that way. Forward isn't left or right, though we're made to feel we have to pick sides on every issue. Now I don't think they should make it a priority to step into politics until or unless it affects their business. However, politicians banning books and content in schools and entertainment in public affects quite a few businesses. When people like Chapek and McCarthy focus on profits at the expense of the brand, they risk alienating the pixie dusters (like me) who overpay for a lot of their offerings. And in the long term that's not good for the stock valuation.

Cliff

With a 50/50 split, any controversial stance will put off a majority of one side and a portion of the other side for not taking a strong enough stand.

For example, this little beer thing brewing. A position was taken, a great portion of "the other side" was offended while the vocal side of the opposite side was offended. Combined, this adds up to a majority of the customer distribution.

Had there been a more muted stance, or none at all, only the vocal minorities of both sides would have been offended. A benign "Beer for All" campaign would have been better
Dylan was not the worst part of that mess. Bud could have easily survived "that" part. The death blow came from their marketing exec going on the internet..."specifically"...and...."deliberatly"...INSULTING their customer base!! Absolutely stupid thing for ANY company to do!

Nobody....I mean....nobody wants to buy ANY product from ANY company that hates them.

Yep...THAT was the part that killed them. Dylan?...nah, that was something could have been forgotten quickly.

Yes...if Disney ever "specifically" ever targeted their customers like Bud did?....wow. They would not have survived that either.

Could you imagine what would happen if Disney has a press conference and boldly told us:

"We believe that DeSantis and everybody that voted for him do NOT align with the goals of the Walt Disney Corporation. We will do everything in Disney's power to support their opposition and we kindly ask that these people avoid attending our parks"

How smart would that be? Does anybody that that comment would be contained to just Floridians? How fast would outrage go national? How castatrophic would that be? Haha

Last edited:

MrPromey

It was also a movie made by WB/DC and not Disney/Marvel and I think most who have any idea who the Flash is and/or care, aka. the audience for this movie, likely already know that.

matt9112

It was also a movie made by WB/DC and not Disney/Marvel and I think most who have any idea who the Flash is and/or care, aka. the audience for this movie, likely already know that.

This is true. I guess I was more thinking guilty by association with the super hero theme. I think it hammers home that uhhh there’s Just not much of a big fan base for the flash?

Last edited:

Nubs70

DIS is below $90. It’s lost $1.70 today alone. How low does it have to go u til they lose confidence in Iger? No way that stock should be that low based on the year over year performance of the market.
Based on traditional P/E ratios, DIS has more to fall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom