News Christine McCarthy to step down from her role as Chief Financial Officer

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why'd he leave in the first place then? 😂
Because money has access to information we never will…

He was worried about an economic meltdown and what that would do to his IP mismanaged “legacy”

Some buffoon told Bob Woodward on tape that the national security predictions and economic models from December 2019 and January 2020 were far worse than what happened. There’s no reason to think that can’t be…

So what snake - getting tips to that effect - slithered out of the sneezy suite in February on a Thursday afternoon?

Connect
The
Dots
!!

Ayla

I wonder if she warned Bob about this

Little Mermaid - currently $466m
under the most generous of projections, needs to gross approximately $560 million at the worldwide box office, according to Hollywood insiders, to reach its break-even threshold

Elemental
‘Elemental’ Has Second Worst Opening Weekend in Pixar History
The Flash bombed, too. Not surprising.

MagicHappens1971

I don't think they should cheap out on movies that need big budgets. But they should just make movies that don't need budgets that high.

Hell, they spent $200 mil+ on stuff like Little Mermaid & Flash with both of those movies looking like butt visually.
I haven’t seen the Flash but I’ve seen TLM 3 times in theatres and I thought it looked pretty great.

Ayla

While general audiences have no idea how much studios spend on a film, they notice the “cheapness” of a film in how it looks.

I think it would be a poor choice for the studios to produce lower quality films for the sake of saving money
I agree, but on the flipside, the pandemic vastly changed how people consume media. It's been shown over the last year, people are not willing to go to theaters to see mediocre 'blockbusters' like they were in the past. Studios are going to lose a lot of money before they figure it out.

Instead of producing lower quality films, they're going to have to produce fewer of them, or they'll end up bankrupt.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think they should cheap out on movies that need big budgets. But they should just make movies that don't need budgets that high.

Hell, they spent $200 mil+ on stuff like Little Mermaid & Flash with both of those movies looking like butt visually.
Both of those are officially losses this morning too

Disney staring down the barrel of a 3 straight movie flop slate for the summer

Already a marvel on the books this year too

Don’t think 1 outta 5 is the “hit rate” they’re shooting for…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Wish will be the only of the 3 that will be a sure “success”. The Marvels may make $700-$800M (at most).

I thought Indy was gonna be a huge success (as I’m sure Disney did) but not as hopeful anymore.
I’d be really shocked if marvels got $500…but we’ll see?

I think wish will fair pretty well. It’s their only chance at having a “big” success this year as it stands.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I haven’t seen the Flash but I’ve seen TLM 3 times in theatres and I thought it looked pretty great.
You need to see it approximately 10.5 million more times for it to not be a write-off.

Numbers are a straight up indicator of mass appeal. The “I personally liked it” was tossed for the space mountain smoking cabanas and villains soirée too (both were pure luxury 🤪)

Just saying

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wish is the only remaining Disney film this year I have any interest in seeing. I will see The Marvels bc I follow the MCU but…
Everybody loves Chris Pine and the TANGLED type story (it’s not the frozen story…frozen doesn’t exist if tangled wasn’t perhaps the most underrated Disney movie ever)…so I hope that’s enough to score one.

MagicHappens1971

Everybody loves Chris Pine and the TANGLED type story (it’s not the frozen story…frozen doesn’t exist if tangled wasn’t perhaps the most underrated Disney movie ever)…so I hope that’s enough to score one.
I think the “decade” in the making and all the marketing associated with it, as well as it being the first “real” princess type musical we’ve had in a bit and it’s release date will be a recipe for success. The animation looks incredible too

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the “decade” in the making and all the marketing associated with it, as well as it being the first “real” princess type musical we’ve had in a bit and it’s release date will be a recipe for success. The animation looks incredible too
Yeah…I see tangled in it’s approach.

I think that one does do well. If if doesn’t…we will be looking at more serious issues with Disney product than we already are…and it’s already serious

erasure fan1

While general audiences have no idea how much studios spend on a film, they notice the “cheapness” of a film in how it looks.

I think it would be a poor choice for the studios to produce lower quality films for the sake of saving money
What they need to do is get away from buying their way out of a "problem". I know it's easier said than done, but you look at what lucasfilm did with budgets. Or what Disney imagineering did. If there was something they needed to accomplish, instead of just throwing money at it, the actually found a way to solve it to keep on budget.

So it's not about making lower quality films, but more about being smarter and more inventive about how you create them.

SpectreJordan

I think Wish has the potential to be a big hit, it just has to actually be good.

I think The Marvels has potential too but again it also has to be good. The Carol Danvers character is controversial but I think enough people like Ms Marvel & Monica Rambeau to show up for them. I think it'll have a smaller opening weekend but have good legs if the movie is actually quality.

People aren't going to show up for mediocre movies anymore. Atleast not as often.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom