News Christine McCarthy to step down from her role as Chief Financial Officer

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
She isn’t some evil dictator who made humans suffer and perish.
1687111908237.png
cruella.jpg

Going just by the photo, I would hesitate to speculate...

SpectreJordan

While I didn't dislike season 3 like a lot of people seem to. I will say it felt like it had the same problem as Wakanda forever had. You could tell in Wakanda forever they tried to readjust the script, just without Chadwick, instead of starting from scratch. So it felt very disjointed. I got the same feeling in Mando. It felt Disjointed as well because it seems like they probably had planned more around Gina.
Mando S3 felt disjointed because they haphazardly wrapped up everything that Mando S2 set up. The set ups in that season made me think they'd be series long storylines, not stuff that would be wrapped up within 2 episodes. It really feel like Filoni abandoned Mando once he got the green light for his precious Ashoka (I love her, but there's clear favoritism with her lmao).

Interesting you feel that way about Wakanda Forever. I loved it & think it's one of the best things to come out of Disney in the past 2 years.

Tha Realest

I felt like Season 2 was really big too. Grogu is still a pop culture phenomenon & the fact that people know what a Mandalorian is in general now is really impressive; that used to be an extremely niche word that only super hardcore Star Wars fans knew.

They absolutely dropped the ball with Season 3 though. Absolute mediocrity, which has increasingly become the norm with Disney over the past two years.
It was a phenomenon. How much it remains is anyone’s guess. Some viewership stats suggest it’s fallen off in terms of popularity.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I wonder if she warned Bob about this

Little Mermaid - currently $466m
under the most generous of projections, needs to gross approximately $560 million at the worldwide box office, according to Hollywood insiders, to reach its break-even threshold

Elemental
‘Elemental’ Has Second Worst Opening Weekend in Pixar History

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Mando S3 felt disjointed because they haphazardly wrapped up everything that Mando S2 set up. The set ups in that season made me think they'd be series long storylines, not stuff that would be wrapped up within 2 episodes
I think a lot of that abandonment was because Jon lost Gina. You could tell they were planning on using her more. She was going to get her own show, rangers of the new republic.
It really feel like Filoni abandoned Mando once he got the green light for his precious Ashoka (I love her, but there's clear favoritism with her lmao).
Well that could be as well. He holds Ashoka closer to his heart than any other character. I forget where I saw it, but I remember someone saying if you want to do something with Ashoka, you need to get Daves permission. Of course they could have been joking, but he is very serious about her.
Interesting you feel that way about Wakanda Forever. I loved it & think it's one of the best things to come out of Disney in the past 2 years.
It just felt off. Almost like two different movies smashed together. There were parts I liked, but overall It as one of my least favorite MCU films. I really wish they would have delayed it to write a whole new story. Or just recast it, and use the original script.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I think a lot of that abandonment was because Jon lost Gina. You could tell they were planning on using her more. She was going to get her own show, rangers of the new republic.

Well that could be as well. He holds Ashoka closer to his heart than any other character. I forget where I saw it, but I remember someone saying if you want to do something with Ashoka, you need to get Daves permission. Of course they could have been joking, but he is very serious about her.

It just felt off. Almost like two different movies smashed together. There were parts I liked, but overall It as one of my least favorite MCU films. I really wish they would have delayed it to write a whole new story. Or just recast it, and use the original script.
We don't agree on everything, but hit a home run with this post. Spot on!

SpectreJordan

under the most generous of projections, needs to gross approximately $560 million at the worldwide box office, according to Hollywood insiders, to reach its break-even threshold

Elemental
I think the theater landscape in general is changing. Audiences aren't going to show up for mediocre blockbusters anymore; they used to show up to those because it was something to do, but nowadays that's the kind of stuff they'll wait for streaming for now. Stuff like Mermaid, Elemental, Fast X, Transformers & Flash just aren't good enough to go to the theaters for; I bet they all do well on the streaming, but that won't make up those huge budgets.

The only real successes this year so far are Mario, Across the Spider-Verse, Guardians 3 & John Wick 4; all of which are really good movies.

If Hollywood is smart, they'd start banking on only 1 or 2 tentpoles a year then go back to smaller scale movies like romance, comedies & drama.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Elemental
It’s about art….money doesn’t matter to international companies on the Dow 30 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the theater landscape in general is changing. Audiences aren't going to show up for mediocre blockbusters anymore; they used to show up to those because it was something to do, but nowadays that's the kind of stuff they'll wait for streaming for now. Stuff like Mermaid, Elemental, Fast X, Transformers & Flash just aren't good enough to go to the theaters for; I bet they all do well on the streaming, but that won't make up those huge budgets.
Well that makes sense. Remember the public has been price gouged across the board for 3+ years as well. I think all this kinda fallout is people looking at what they’re getting for the price when they really hadn’t for most of the last 30-40 years. I do and I never did that much. It feels weird. It feels better now not to spend and that is a big change. I don’t think I’m unique.
The only real successes this year so far are Mario, Across the Spider-Verse, Guardians 3 & John Wick 4; all of which are really good movies.
Quality will win out. Story and character quality.
…which is exactly why LFL is a tire fire. And marvel best be careful.
If Hollywood is smart, they'd start banking on only 1 or 2 tentpoles a year then go back to smaller scale movies like romance, comedies & drama.
That’s a great idea…but such a hard downshift

An unrelated, cautionary example: the last writers strike brought the rise of stupid “reality tv”…but Hollywood thought scripted drama/comedy would rebound.

It never has…not close.

We see tons of “they should not spend so much on movies” in our threads. The problem is the downshift. Audiences expect them and dont care what’s spent. Not sure they’d care if it’s “rationed” more?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Well that makes sense. Remember the public has been price gouged across the board for 3+ years as well. I think all this kinda fallout is people looking at what they’re getting for the price when they really hadn’t for most of the last 30-40 years. I do and I never did that much. It feels weird. It feels better now not to spend and that is a big change. I don’t think I’m unique.

Quality will win out. Story and character quality.
…which is exactly why LFL is a tire fire. And marvel best be careful.

That’s a great idea…but such a hard downshift

An unrelated, cautionary example: the last writers strike brought the rise of stupid “reality tv”…but Hollywood thought scripted drama/comedy would rebound.

It never has…not close.

We see tons of “they should not spend so much on movies” in our threads. The problem is the downshift. Audiences expect them and dont care what’s spent. Not sure they’d care if it’s “rationed” more?
You're probably right, they're very thickheaded with this stuff. They won't learn their lesson until they're about to go bankrupt.

But for the reality TV show comparison, that's infinitely cheaper than any scripted show could ever be. It's usually not good content but it sells, I can't blame them for that. I CAN blame these studios for spending $200mil on movies that don't even go even.

MagicHappens1971

While general audiences have no idea how much studios spend on a film, they notice the “cheapness” of a film in how it looks.

I think it would be a poor choice for the studios to produce lower quality films for the sake of saving money

jpeden

In the Parks
No

Subtitle: “A search to find Christine McCarthy's replacement only adds speculation that Bob Iger may stick around in the top job past 2024.”

And there’s the HR’s corollary to the WSJ piece right on cue. Paging @Sirwalterraleigh.

I would love to get a take from @WDW1974 on all of this but I believe he’s departed from these boards forever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And there’s the HR’s corollary to the WSJ piece right on cue. Paging @Sirwalterraleigh.

I would love to get a take from @WDW1974 on all of this but I believe he’s departed from these boards forever.
It’s so shocking it came from the Hollywood reporter…
How did they EVER get someone from Disney on the phone? - “unofficially” 😱

…remember, kids…hate the game, not the player 🤓

SpectreJordan

While general audiences have no idea how much studios spend on a film, they notice the “cheapness” of a film in how it looks.

I think it would be a poor choice for the studios to produce lower quality films for the sake of saving money
I don't think they should cheap out on movies that need big budgets. But they should just make movies that don't need budgets that high.

Hell, they spent $200 mil+ on stuff like Little Mermaid & Flash with both of those movies looking like butt visually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom