Child's tantrum gets family kicked off plane

slappy magoo

Julie Kulesza said: "We weren't given an opportunity to hold her, console her or anything."

Hey, Jules Jules, the flight was already 15 miinutes late because of your kid's caterwauling. How long would it take to hold her and console her? Another 5 minutes? 10? 20? At what point do you say "Hey there are other people on this plane, and my brat is holding them up! This is so unfair to them!"

Oh, right, it must be all about you. Everyone else on the plane was an extra (or a prop) in The Kulesza Family Story, which is so much more interesting than anyone else around. Easy to see where your progeny gets it.

MickeyTigg

I'm sure they wanted to avoid any bad publicity, so it was woirth it to them to do that, even though it was not deserved.

They're in the middle of trying to purchase Midwest Airlines through the shareholders...they can't afford any bad publicity right now.

Though for the record....I would never have refunded the tickets. If they can't control their kid...than too bad.

Wilt Dasney

:confused: What? She was on the floor. Bend down, pick her up, swat her on the behind, set her in her seat, buckle her in. It's not rocket science.

And what is with the bit about holding and consoling? That kid needed a swat across the butt and to be put in the seat and buckled in. Hey mom and dad, you're in charge, not your kid!

15 minutes??? why didnt they pick this child up and put him into his seat and thell him to shut up?

Egg-zakkly. I don't get the mentality at all. You can "console" the poor dear all you like AFTER she's planted in her seat. They're not mutually exclusive. Sounds like an example of extreme overindulgence. Where do all these whiny, entitled people come from?

TwoTigersMom

I've never flown with my two boys, but I was under the impression that young children should be in a car seat on a plane. If that's the case, strap her but into that car seat, which she probably can't get out of, and console her from your seat until the plane is in the air and it's safe to move around.
These are the kind of people that give kids and parents a bad name. My boys can be unruley and obnoxious with the best of them. The difference is, I either control the situation immediately or remove them from it. I take my boys anywhere and everywhere. The 1st sign of a tantrum or disturbance, we're off to the bathroom to have a "discussion", if that doesn't work we're outta there. If I pay, $20 to go to a movie or $150 to go to Emeril's and I chose to take my kids, then if I lose it it's my own fault. Too many people are very quick to shift blame to the situation and not take responsibility for their own choices.

H20Babie

My boys can be unruley and obnoxious with the best of them. The difference is, I either control the situation immediately or remove them from it. I take my boys anywhere and everywhere.

My take to a T. If DS misbehaves, one warning, that's it. Second time, we're outta here. He has to learn that there are consequences to his actions. He has learned that the hard way, it stinks but it sticks.

Becky

: , swat her on the behind, QUOTE]

Perhaps the swat on the behind should go to the parents and not the child.:lookaroun

I can't count the number of times I have seen a parent at WDW (I know this was not at WDW) screaming at, yanking, slapping etc. a 3 or 4 year old :( because they are "throwing a tantrum". Who is at fault? I believe in most cases it is the parent. Why? They get the child up at 6-7 to go to a character breakfast, drag them all over the park, skip the child's usual nap so they "don't miss anything" and stay till closing so they "get their monies worth". Then it's up early the next day and on and on.

What time was the flight? Did the child have a nap? How long did the family sit at the terminal before boarding? Did they have a snack, juice, a coloring book or something for the child before boarding?

I think this is a case of poor parenting and the victim's were not only the other passengers and Air Tran but the child as well.

By the by, Air Tran, well done except the free flight offer.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
My take to a T. If DS misbehaves, one warning, that's it. Second time, we're outta here. He has to learn that there are consequences to his actions. He has learned that the hard way, it stinks but it sticks.

...and that is the way it should be. That is exactly how I was raised. By the time I was removed from a few restaurants when I was little I quickly learned that type of behavior was highly unacceptable. I can only hope that eventually I will be able to raise my kids that way.

Tiggerfanatic

And what would have happened if they could have gotten the little darling calmed down, let her out of her seat during the flight, and she refused to sit back down for the landing?? Kudos to AirTran for looking at the whole picture and taking the high road in considering what is good for the many overrides what is convenient for the few. I see many more disappointments in this little family's future.....:animwink:

shoppingnut

I'd be happy to fly Air Tran now. Enough is enough with these people that think it's okay that there is nothing wrong with the kid annoying other people. This sense of entitlement drives me nuts. And, if this was an adult, they would have taken them off in shackles. I understand that when they did fly home the next day the kid was given benadryl, should have considered that in the first place.

I've have no problem turning around and telling a kid to stop kicking my seat and if the parent doesn't stop the kid after that, I will turn around and lace right into the parent. I've paid for that seat with my hard earned money and no one has the right to disturb me.

maelstrom

I've have no problem turning around and telling a kid to stop kicking my seat and if the parent doesn't stop the kid after that, I will turn around and lace right into the parent.

I have been yelled at by parents for telling their precious little darlings to stop kicking my seat, turning around in a restaurant booth and invading my personal space, etc. "They're just a kid <whine> you should speak to the parent, not the child". WELL, if you would've taught your child some manners, it would be a non-issue. The child is making the action, and so I address the child. Most parents don't care anyway what their kids are doing. I hate it when kids turn around in restaurant booths and hang over them into my seating area. And I'll turn around and stare at the parent like "hey, " and they're just like "lalala my kid can do whatever she wants lalala". Parents with no manners or respect are just passing it on to their little ones and creating a new generation of obnoxious brats.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm not ashamed to call out bad parenting when I see it. As far as a kid kicking my seat, I'm ashamed to admit that I actually bribed a kid $20 to not kick my seat on a transcontinental flight. It worked though.

shoppingnut

I have been yelled at by parents for telling their precious little darlings to stop kicking my seat, turning around in a restaurant booth and invading my personal space, etc. "They're just a kid <whine> you should speak to the parent, not the child". WELL, if you would've taught your child some manners, it would be a non-issue. The child is making the action, and so I address the child. Most parents don't care anyway what their kids are doing. I hate it when kids turn around in restaurant booths and hang over them into my seating area. And I'll turn around and stare at the parent like "hey, " and they're just like "lalala my kid can do whatever she wants lalala". Parents with no manners or respect are just passing it on to their little ones and creating a new generation of obnoxious brats.

I was on a flight and the kid was kicking my seat and I turned around and asked him to stop. After that I heard the father tell the kid, didn't the lady ask you not to kick the seat. Well, let me tell you, that I have no problem lacing right into any parent who dares yell at me because I spoke to a kid asking them to stop unacceptable behaviour. My response is that "I shouldn't even have to speak to you, if you taught your kid properly."

I've actually requested a different table in a restaurant when they wanted to seat us next to a table with kids. I don't care, I don't want to sit near them if I don't have to and take the chance of being annoyed.

maelstrom

I've actually requested a different table in a restaurant when they wanted to seat us next to a table with kids. I don't care, I don't want to sit near them if I don't have to and take the chance of being annoyed.

We also request seats away from children. We even do it at Disney World. I know that amazes some people, but we're a family of 3 adults (I go with my parents, and we're 21, 50, and 48 -- far from children) and we don't want to be bothered by children when we eat, even in WDW. We understand that there are going to be a lot of kids, but almost every restaurant has quiter tables against a wall, in alcoves, etc. Like at Chef Mickey's, we refuse to sit in that back room with the character cut-outs along the walls. It's like a wide open kid-zoo in there. We ask to be seated at one of the quieter tables near the Concourse Steakhouse or in that smaller area up a couple of steps at the back of the buffet (there's only maybe ten tables up there). When I go with just my mom we're a party of two so we get lucky with small out of the way tables.

diddy_mouse

Thread bump!

I just want to say that I agree 100% with everything that has been said. I am still amazed that no one can take responsibility for their own actions anymore. Parents should be the ones who step up and take responsibility for their children. I witnessed a kid at Target, *screaming* at his mother calling her a liar because she wouldn't buy him a toy when, apparently, he thought she would. The mom was totally numb to it leaving the 8yr. old kid in control. Which it so totally the opposite thing to do.

This family who couldn't get their 3yr. old under control are probably the type of people who ask their kid to settle down. If a stranger does that (like the flight attendant) it's one thing, but a parent needs to *tell* their kid to sit down.

*sigh* sorry for the bump but I had to express my frustration toward the family and kudos towards AirTran.

GenerationX

This family who couldn't get their 3yr. old under control are probably the type of people who ask their kid to settle down. If a stranger does that (like the flight attendant) it's one thing, but a parent needs to *tell* their kid to sit down.
It's a simple concept. You're the parent. They're the kid. They need to learn how to behave. You need to teach them. Too many parents are too lazy, too wimpy, or too inconsiderate to follow this simple concept. Clearly, the parents from the plane are not following it. There's still time for them to fix this, but it will be more difficult with each passing year.

barnum42

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom