Cheaper tickets COMING SOON

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Personally I don't find the cost of food too high, but the tickets are. I don't mind the single day or 2 day costs, but I'd like to see a return to the more aggressively discount of 4+ day tickets.
When they’re charging $60+ a person for garbage buffets, yes, food is too expensive.

I know all the good spots to eat at and to avoid, but most people don’t, especially first timers. Feels predatory and like a tourist trap.

Perhaps Space 220 is the biggest rip off of them all at $79 a person.

Tom P.

lol…they never wanted to lower attendance for you. You’re not special enough

Just keep paying and go along with it
I never claimed they wanted to lower attendance. I'm just amused at you, of all people, talking about someone posting the same things over and over again.

But, for the record, we've got a trip booked for September and are looking forward to it. Unlike many people here apparently, we're still Walt Disney World fans. To each his own I suppose.

JD80

When they’re charging $60+ a person for garbage buffets, yes, food is too expensive.

I know all the good spots to eat at and to avoid, but most people don’t, especially first timers. Feels predatory and like a tourist trap.

Perhaps Space 220 is the biggest rip off of them all at $79 a person.
Agree on Space 220.

Buffets are overpriced. Went to BOMA in December for breakfast and was underwhelmed. Been to all the other ones. I was ok with the character ones, when my kids like them but they are aging out of that now.

$65 buffet with no characters is no bueno.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I never claimed they wanted to lower attendance. I'm just amused at you, of all people, talking about someone posting the same things over and over again.

But, for the record, we've got a trip booked for September and are looking forward to it. Unlike many people here apparently, we're still Walt Disney World fans. To each his own I suppose.
Oh I don’t deny repetitive…we kill time here

But I don’t try to be intentionally disingenuous or misleading. My comments are formed by work experience combined with decades of study and observation

Not twisting basic economic principles - incorrectly - that don’t apply to Disney

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
IMG_6724.jpeg
IMG_6723.jpeg

This is right now view from the monorail, for how ever much the Contemporary costs this doesn’t seem acceptable to have the roofs this dirty.

DisneyHead123

I concur.

There’s a reason why TDR, even though it’s owned by the OLC and not Disney, now charges for Fastpass and discontinued APs entirely.

Crowds were FAR too high before so I’m happy they raised prices with the intention of bringing crowds to a sane level.

Supply and demand forced them to raise prices to drive down the insane demand for the parks, and that’s beyond the fact they’ve obviously been too greedy overall and are stalling to just allow the Epic Universe hit to happen. I think the true nickel and diming comes from excessive hotel and food costs to be honest. I genuinely think park tickets themselves aren’t too expensive. APs and other ticket pricing was far too much of a value relative to the demand.
I have mixed feelings about this (raising prices as a sort of necessary strategy.) I think in large part because I'm baffled by all of the expendable income people seem to have these days. According to this article, SquareMouth reported the average summer vacation this year as costing 10K. Presumably that's only for insured vacations as others aren't tracked, so a road trip to a motel wouldn't show up in that metric. But still, it gives a general indication of how pricing is going for what people consider "big trips". NerdWallet put the cost of "summer travel" at $3,594 but I think that included travel to any destination, like a weekend spent attending your cousin's wedding. Those numbers are crazy.

I honestly don't understand where this money is coming from. Are people not doing 401K's anymore? Do they tell Little Billy to suck it up and get loans for college so the family can go to Aruba? Is everyone now making about 400K a year? Even if they're putting these vacations on credit cards, they have to pay them back eventually, and get the credit in the first place. (Not to mention interest rates are crazy high right now.) I'm in a dual income household where we've both been lucky enough to find jobs that pay well, and I'm still driving down the road to Lidl for groceries these days and trying to eat pasta more often. Yes we do annual family vacations but they're short and we alternate between paying and staying with relatives who are awesome and treat us. I am seriously not understanding where people are finding all these thousands to throw around on a vacation, as travel keeps increasing. So I'm on the fence about price increases. Yes, Disney seems to have adjusted them for the current reality, but the current reality just makes no sense. I think current prices may be calibrated for a population that is about to experience a credit card crisis, and I'm not sure what happens after that point. To be fair I am prone to catastrophic thinking, but a part of me is surprised we're not hearing about the historical highs in credit card debt. It reminds me of 2008 when you didn't really hear anything about everyone getting these mortgages they couldn't pay off, until suddenly - very suddenly - you did.

But, there is a limit to that strategy, and I think we’re finally seeing that play out. Expanding capacity is a better long-term business strategy and it is one they’re now doing given that the parks got up to par with where the should’ve been a long time ago.

Now, it’s all about expansion. It’s very exciting.

I'm actually hoping this is true. Maybe not for the same reasons as you - I think Disney will be forced to acknowledge that they overplayed their hand during Covid, if reports of attendance drops are as pronounced as they seem to be. Pair that with EU down the road and I think the only logical conclusion is that they need to do more to woo customers back. And I actually still think the parks are pretty great in the first place, not the Mad Max-esque dystopia they're sometimes described as, lol, so adding more to a great thing is awesome, in my book.

bwr827

I'm the truest pixie duster there is and will defend the Disney parks like nobody else.....But I cruised DCL for the first time last year, and now I'm seriously considering solely cruising from now on.
I'm betting there's a significant number of folks like me doing the same.
This is so interesting to me. The cruise ships don’t have rides… do they?

todd23

I honestly don't understand where this money is coming from. Are people not doing 401K's anymore? Do they tell Little Billy to suck it up and get loans for college so the family can go to Aruba? Is everyone now making about 400K a year? Even if they're putting these vacations on credit cards, they have to pay them back eventually, and get the credit in the first place. (Not to mention interest rates are crazy high right now.) I'm in a dual income household where we've both been lucky enough to find jobs that pay well, and I'm still driving down the road to Lidl for groceries these days and trying to eat pasta more often. Yes we do annual family vacations but they're short and we alternate between paying and staying with relatives who are awesome and treat us. I am seriously not understanding where people are finding all these thousands to throw around on a vacation, as travel keeps increasing.
I ask all of these same questions! I don't know how everyone seems to have so much money.

In addition to vacations, I wonder about houses. I live in a low cost of living area and still see a lot of houses for sale for 5, 6 and $700,000. How are people affording this? Not just the house itself, but the taxes, furnishings and heating/cooling. My wife and I (no kids) have solid jobs, go on vacations, etc. But having a house like that would flip us from being in a good place financially to living paycheck to paycheck.

I have mixed feelings about this (raising prices as a sort of necessary strategy.) I think in large part because I'm baffled by all of the expendable income people seem to have these days. According to this article, SquareMouth reported the average summer vacation this year as costing 10K. Presumably that's only for insured vacations as others aren't tracked, so a road trip to a motel wouldn't show up in that metric. But still, it gives a general indication of how pricing is going for what people consider "big trips". NerdWallet put the cost of "summer travel" at $3,594 but I think that included travel to any destination, like a weekend spent attending your cousin's wedding. Those numbers are crazy.

I honestly don't understand where this money is coming from. Are people not doing 401K's anymore? Do they tell Little Billy to suck it up and get loans for college so the family can go to Aruba? Is everyone now making about 400K a year? Even if they're putting these vacations on credit cards, they have to pay them back eventually, and get the credit in the first place. (Not to mention interest rates are crazy high right now.) I'm in a dual income household where we've both been lucky enough to find jobs that pay well, and I'm still driving down the road to Lidl for groceries these days and trying to eat pasta more often. Yes we do annual family vacations but they're short and we alternate between paying and staying with relatives who are awesome and treat us. I am seriously not understanding where people are finding all these thousands to throw around on a vacation, as travel keeps increasing. So I'm on the fence about price increases. Yes, Disney seems to have adjusted them for the current reality, but the current reality just makes no sense. I think current prices may be calibrated for a population that is about to experience a credit card crisis, and I'm not sure what happens after that point. To be fair I am prone to catastrophic thinking, but a part of me is surprised we're not hearing about the historical highs in credit card debt. It reminds me of 2008 when you didn't really hear anything about everyone getting these mortgages they couldn't pay off, until suddenly - very suddenly - you did.

I'm actually hoping this is true. Maybe not for the same reasons as you - I think Disney will be forced to acknowledge that they overplayed their hand during Covid, if reports of attendance drops are as pronounced as they seem to be. Pair that with EU down the road and I think the only logical conclusion is that they need to do more to woo customers back. And I actually still think the parks are pretty great in the first place, not the Mad Max-esque dystopia they're sometimes described as, lol, so adding more to a great thing is awesome, in my book.
While a small population of daily attendance, dvc is actually pretty cost effective if you know your family will be traveling even every 2-3 years to a Disney location. Now ticket prices are a whole other ballgame, and might be pushing dvc members (and others, but I’m speaking about dvc) to go less and less than they normally would. Or, buy an annual pass to cover two trips within twelve months and take a few years off.

DisneyHead123

I ask all of these same questions! I don't know how everyone seems to have so much money.

In addition to vacations, I wonder about houses. I live in a low cost of living area and still see a lot of houses for sale for 5, 6 and $700,000. How are people affording this? Not just the house itself, but the taxes, furnishings and heating/cooling. My wife and I (no kids) have solid jobs, go on vacations, etc. But having a house like that would flip us from being in a good place financially to living paycheck to paycheck.
We live in a higher cost of living area and lived in a small condo for years in order to save for a house. But yeah, even with that, home ownership is crazy expensive. It feels there’s always an upcoming repair - time for a new roof, something is leaking, dead trees need to be removed, and so on. That’s just maintenance without updating things if styles change substantially.

So yeah, totally agree, I don’t understand where all this disposable income is coming from with across the board inflation. Groceries and household stuff costs so much more but it’s also daycare, cars and car maintenance (getting my tires replaced has gone up hundreds over the past decade), home repairs, stuff like haircuts, and so on. I suspect credit cards and loans are playing a substantial part in all this vacation spending.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom