Cheaper tickets COMING SOON

bwr827

Yeah…there are directives all over the state about this…it’s made some local headlines

The parties over on vacation weeks. The inevitable backlash from the shutdown era.

And this is New Jersey…who practically invented both being Disney nuts and pulling kids for vacations
Why does Jersey specifically have a thing with Disney?

Nubs70

Can’t speak for all Americans, but I find traveling in new cultures intimidating as I’m always worried about making a faux pas or not understanding the culture correctly. Yes you can read about cultural norms online but something as subtle as that is often hard to describe on a blog. I also struggle with phrases in new languages as I forget everything when I’m nervous, lol. Those who grow up in places like Europe where new languages and cultures are as close as neighboring states are here probably develop more adeptness with this early on.
No need to be intimidated. Making the attempt to speak the native language is often enough. Often the natives may speak better English than yourself. Biggest thing is to be gracious and not be loud. Most restaurants have menus in native language and English for a reason.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Can’t speak for all Americans, but I find traveling in new cultures intimidating as I’m always worried about making a faux pas or not understanding the culture correctly. Yes you can read about cultural norms online but something as subtle as that is often hard to describe on a blog. I also struggle with phrases in new languages as I forget everything when I’m nervous, lol. Those who grow up in places like Europe where new languages and cultures are as close as neighboring states are here probably develop more adeptness with this early on.
It’s really not that big of a deal. People give you the benefit of the doubt if you genuinely show an interest in someone’s culture in my experience, and don't look down on anyone.

Traveling to China for instance was a fascinating culture shock for me, but throughout my entire time there the amount of people who were genuinely so excited that I was interested in experiencing and learning their culture meant a lot to them. It was a life changing experience. Embrace the differences!

I feel the same when international visitors come to the States.

DCLcruiser

Hi. This last part of your statement sort of confirms Henry's point that Americans are willing to fly to Europe and to Hawaii but not to Asia.

I'm curious as to why You, with clearly an extensive travel history, are a hard pass on ever going to Japan? Ever! Just curious.
I would love to go to Japan and China, but I'd prefer to go with someone who speaks the language fluently. I've been very successful throughout Europe w/ enough French, Italian and English to be fine, but for Asia I'd like a guide.

Disone

I would love to go to Japan and China, but I'd prefer to go with someone who speaks the language fluently. I can stumble through Europe w/ enough French, Italian and English to be fine, but for Asia I'd like a guide.
Heard. On the flight to Japan when I went to Tokyo Disney, I was reading about how Japan is the least English-speaking country in the world. I had a mild panic attack.

Turned out it really wasn't that scary. They might not speak a lot of English but honestly I don't know that it's the least speaking English country in the world. I found plenty that spoke broken English. Could ask very basic questions like put a tone of question in your voice and say" restroom?' And they point you to the closest one. Especially at Tokyo Disney they're actually pretty good about speaking English. In Tokyo proper it was less English but again they were just so friendly they were willing to help.

Disone

My 4 year old was born at the start of a global pandemic and he's been to Hawaii twice, Alaska, Greece, Italy, the UK, and Florida at least half a dozen times.

The Hawaii flight from Boston is 11 hours and we've done it with 3 kids in masks. My kids have traveled more than most adults and the oldest is under 10. We're not afraid of flying.

I have *zero* interest in going to Japan, ever.

That makes so little sense other than Americans being dense.
Ekkkkk. I wouldn't call him or anyone else dense for not wanting to go. I'm not attacking. Just genuinely wondering why to him Tokyo is a hard pass when clearly he's willing to go through extensive travels to other parts of the world. It's a genuine curiosity question and I mean nothing more than that.

Henry Mystic

I would love to go to Japan and China, but I'd prefer to go with someone who speaks the language fluently. I've been very successful throughout Europe w/ enough French, Italian and English to be fine, but for Asia I'd like a guide.

Language has never been an issue anywhere for me. International cities like Paris are obviously going to have a lot more English speakers than a small French town where no one does, but it’s really not that hard to use Google Translate or pointing your fingers to what you want for menus or Google Maps for directions.

Japan, South Korea, China, etc. are even safer than Europe for tourists in terms of crime which is already much safer than America. Perception is reality for people, as pre-existing beliefs is what people generally filter new information through rather than using evidence to inform their beliefs.

It would change a lot of people’s perception of the world if people actually experienced more of it.

JoeCamel

Heard. On the flight to Japan when I went to Tokyo Disney, I was reading about how Japan is the least English-speaking country in the world. I had a mild panic attack.

Turned out it really wasn't that scary. They might not speak a lot of English but honestly I don't know that it's the least speaking English country in the world. I found plenty that spoke broken English. Could ask very basic questions like put a tone of question in your voice and say" restroom?' And they point you to the closest one. Especially at Tokyo Disney they're actually pretty good about speaking English. In Tokyo proper it was less English but again they were just so friendly they were willing to help.
I use a rule that if I'm going to be somewhere non english speaking or even not as a native language to learn the basics like facilities, food, meal, drink, beer, hotel etc. to get by. A few words can show you at least tried to locals and it really only takes minutes to learn

Tha Realest

The only difference is that people in Asia aren’t white.

Language has never been an issue anywhere for me. International cities like Paris are obviously going to have a lot more English speakers than a small French town where no one does, but it’s really not that hard to use Google Translate or pointing your fingers to what you want for menus or Google Maps for directions.

Japan, South Korea, China, etc. are even safer than Europe for tourists in terms of crime which is already much safer than America. Perception is reality for people, as pre-existing beliefs is what people generally filter new information through rather than using evidence to inform their beliefs.

It would change a lot of people’s perception of the world if people actually experienced more of it.
I think that’s an unfair attack.

First, it is a far longer distance to travel to Japan than any of those places they’ve mentioned.

Second, there are both much larger language and cultural barriers to overcome. Those European countries they listed speak Latin-based languages (if not predominately Engish speaking) so there’s bound to be an easier time with that. In addition, generally speaking, the US has more culturally in common with, say, the UK, Italy, and Greece than Japan or other Asian countries.

Jrb1979

The only difference is that people in Asia aren’t white.

As great as the Asian Disney parks are, Europe has some of the best theme parks in the world.

Europa Park, Efteling, and Port Aventura are amazing but many seem to ignore them.

TrainsOfDisney

i will say, there are extra steps when you travel internationally- it’s not just the time of the flight. Just buying a passport for your entire family is an expense and a process.

Jrb1979

i will say, there are extra steps when you travel internationally- it’s not just the time of the flight. Just buying a passport for your entire family is an expense and a process.
IMO most Americans should have passports. I think airlines should require Passports as proof of ID to travel anywhere

Henry Mystic

As great as the Asian Disney parks are, Europe has some of the best theme parks in the world.

Europa Park, Efteling, and Port Aventura are amazing but many seem to ignore them.
Oh I agree! I was just at Europa Park, and it was easily a top 5 theme park worldwide for me!

IMG_6879.jpeg

IMG_6880.jpeg
IMG_6883.jpeg
IMG_6884.jpeg
IMG_3795_Original.jpeg
IMG_3878_Original.jpeg
IMG_6887.jpeg
IMG_6888.jpeg

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Hi. This last part of your statement sort of confirms Henry's point that Americans are willing to fly to Europe and to Hawaii but not to Asia.

I'm curious as to why You, with clearly an extensive travel history, are a hard pass on ever going to Japan? Ever! Just curious.
I don't like urban tourism, as a general rule, and Japan is almost entirely urbanized. I like castles and mountains and beaches and countryside and forests and hiking and ancient ruins. That's not to say that Japan doesn't have some of these things, but for the most part when you visit Japan you're visiting for the cities. Once my kids are older, we're going to go to Botswana or Tanzania for a safari, which is infinitely more interesting to me than Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo.

Henry Mystic

I don't like urban tourism, as a general rule, and Japan is almost entirely urbanized. I like castles and mountains and beaches and countryside and forests and hiking and ancient ruins. That's not to say that Japan doesn't have some of these things, but for the most part when you visit Japan you're visiting for the cities. Once my kids are older, we're going to go to Botswana or Tanzania for a safari, which is infinitely more interesting to me than Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo.
Tell me you haven't been to Japan without telling me you haven't been to Japan.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/stories/japans-most-spectacular-natural-wonders/

Plus this is a theme park forum right? And a country with literally the best parks in the world isn’t worth visiting?

If you’re not interested in going no one is going to force you but you keep coming up with bizarre reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom