Cheaper tickets COMING SOON

Ayla

I ask all of these same questions! I don't know how everyone seems to have so much money.

In addition to vacations, I wonder about houses. I live in a low cost of living area and still see a lot of houses for sale for 5, 6 and $700,000. How are people affording this? Not just the house itself, but the taxes, furnishings and heating/cooling. My wife and I (no kids) have solid jobs, go on vacations, etc. But having a house like that would flip us from being in a good place financially to living paycheck to paycheck.
That's why you don't live in a house you can't afford, because you're financially smart. :) There are some people that can do it and still live comfortably. Our house has increased in value about $125,000 in the four years we've owned it and that doesn't include any of the renovations we've done (all new kitchen and master bathroom).

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
While a small population of daily attendance, dvc is actually pretty cost effective if you know your family will be traveling even every 2-3 years to a Disney location. Now ticket prices are a whole other ballgame, and might be pushing dvc members (and others, but I’m speaking about dvc) to go less and less than they normally would. Or, buy an annual pass to cover two trips within twelve months and take a few years off.
It’s only worth it if you’re going deluxe every time, but if you’re paying that much money you might as well check out the international parks like Tokyo, and unfortunately, DVC is not usable for any of the international parks so it has little to no appeal for me.

Even factoring airfare, it would be cheaper than going deluxe every year in Orlando.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s only worth it if you’re going deluxe every time, but if you’re paying that much money you might as well check out the international parks like Tokyo, and unfortunately, DVC is not usable for any of the international parks so it has little to no appeal for me.

Even factoring airfare, it would be cheaper than going deluxe every year in Orlando.
When I priced it basically I wouldn’t lose money and I would stay at a deluxe vs. value or moderate for same price. But then I’d be locked in to DVC.

It’s a real stretch to “save money” with DVC - I don’t get it but I know people who have it and love it!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Lmao not for a family of 5 it wouldn't be. Not to mention that the flight is 14 hours so you need to deduct at least three days worth of salary for the extra vacation time it takes to get to and from.

Chi84

Premium Member
When I priced it basically I wouldn’t lose money and I would stay at a deluxe vs. value or moderate for same price. But then I’d be locked in to DVC.

It’s a real stretch to “save money” with DVC - I don’t get it but I know people who have it and love it!
It works out great for us because we have 4 very young grandchildren. The kitchen and in-room laundry facilities are extremely convenient.

bmr1591

You can save if you buy resale. Direct, you're looking at 25 years to break even.

Henry Mystic

Lmao not for a family of 5 it wouldn't be. Not to mention that the flight is 14 hours so you need to deduct at least three days worth of salary for the extra vacation time it takes to get to and from.
It absolutely can be, have you done it?

A ticket to Tokyo Disney Resort starts at $65 per day, food is stupidly cheap, and if you're staying at the Hilton or Sheraton on the Monorail line, it'll set you back less than $200 per night for a hotel with park or ocean views, and that's even implying it's equal to WDW--it is so much better it's not even close. Take two weeks off (pretty reasonable for a salaried position if you're able to afford frequent WDW vacations already), spend 4-5 days at TDR, spend another 4-5 in Tokyo and Kyoto, and it will be cheaper than a stay at Polynesian for 10-nights and $60+ character buffets for mediocre food.

Believe it or not, the quick service food at TDR is better than many of the expensive table service restaurants at Disney World, and it's dirt cheap for Americans visiting.

I'm literally a travel agent part-time, I know what people are spending on vacations.😂

DisneyHead123

While a small population of daily attendance, dvc is actually pretty cost effective if you know your family will be traveling even every 2-3 years to a Disney location. Now ticket prices are a whole other ballgame, and might be pushing dvc members (and others, but I’m speaking about dvc) to go less and less than they normally would. Or, buy an annual pass to cover two trips within twelve months and take a few years off.
Good to know… I’d never looked at DVC because I just assumed it was insanely expensive. I think the tricky thing is that the contracts are quite long and I don’t know if my son will age out of Disney in a few years or become a lifelong fan like me!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It absolutely can be, have you done it?
You made a definitive statement. You said "Even factoring airfare, it would be cheaper than going deluxe every year in Orlando."

Yes, it CAN be. But that's not what you said.

Also, it sounds to me like you don't have children and you're just discounting the logistics of the whole operation of getting to and navigating around Asia, which is a lot different than Florida or even Europe.

Henry Mystic

I mean, 20 years ago it was a great deal. Now, it only is if you’d be staying at deluxe resorts anyway. They're not trying to compete with people staying at more affordable hotels. At least for me, I spend little to no time in hotel rooms when I'm at theme parks compared to say a beach vacation where much of the experience is the hotel/condo/resort you're at.

Lots of people instead use DVC points on DCL, but that's a horribly inefficient way to use points.

It just doesn't appeal to me because in the unlikely chance I'm staying at a deluxe resort anyway, it's generally for a weekend trip rather than for the parks themselves, but those visits are few and far between compared to me just visiting family in Orlando or staying at a more affordable place like the Shades of Green or off-property.

But again, for people that routinely stay at expensive on-property resorts it can still be a solid option, but you trade with it flexibility, and I love me some international travel to theme parks and random countries like Greece or Vietnam.

Henry Mystic

You made a definitive statement. You said "Even factoring airfare, it would be cheaper than going deluxe every year in Orlando."

Yes, it CAN be. But that's not what you said.
I mean, it is objectively cheaper staying at a Monorail line hotel at TDR for a family of 4 than staying at the Grand Floridian or Contemporary even factoring in airfare and comparing similar quality food for a week+ stay.

Americans have this strange fear of international travel to really any place but the Caribbean and Europe. It's nowhere near as cost-prohibitive as people act like.

I can speak with experience. It's not cheaper if you're staying at Pop Century everytime or only go for a weekend, but the vast majority of people with DVC are shelling out Deluxe Hotel prices and staying for a while per visit.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's also wonderful to experience new theme parks and seeing more of the world too.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I mean, 20 years ago it was a great deal. Now, it only is if you’d be staying at deluxe resorts anyway. They're not trying to compete with people staying at more affordable hotels. At least for me, I spend little to no time in hotel rooms when I'm at theme parks compared to say a beach vacation where much of the experience is the hotel/condo/resort you're at.

Lots of people instead use DVC points on DCL, but that's a horribly inefficient way to use points.

It just doesn't appeal to me because in the unlikely chance I'm staying at a deluxe resort anyway, it's generally for a weekend trip rather than for the parks themselves, but those visits are few and far between compared to me just visiting family in Orlando or staying at a more affordable place like the Shades of Green or off-property.

But again, for people that routinely stay at expensive on-property resorts it can still be a solid option, but you trade with it flexibility, and I love me some international travel to theme parks and random countries like Greece or Vietnam.
You seem to be under the impression that most DVC owners only ever go to Walt Disney World. For some that's certainly true, but we take 3 or 4 vacations per year and, at most, one of them is DVC.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Americans have this strange fear of international travel to really any place but the Caribbean and Europe. It's nowhere near as cost-prohibitive as people act like.
You're obsessed with the cost. *Even if it were free,* most people don't want to spend 14 hours on an airplane (or, more likely, 20 hours on multiple airplanes) unless there's a really compelling reason to do so.

Henry Mystic

You seem to be under the impression that most DVC owners only ever go to Walt Disney World. For some that's certainly true, but we take 3 or 4 vacations per year and, at most, one of them is DVC.
Most people I know who are DVC are not taking 3 to 4 large vacations per year. It’s almost always a DVC points vacation (usually at WDW) alongside a family Thanksgiving visit or short beach trip.
You're obsessed with the cost. *Even if it were free,* most people don't want to spend 14 hours on an airplane (or, more likely, 20 hours on multiple airplanes) unless there's a really compelling reason to do so.
That is an exceedingly dense and silly reason not to travel. Extremely.

I can see if you have small kids—though, I know two different people who have taken toddlers to Fantasy Springs from the States since it has opened—and they’ve had nothing but overwhelmingly positive things to say to the point that they’ll be returning later this decade. Of course the flight isn’t fun, but neither are long car rides.

At the end of the day, it’s a big deal if you choose to make it one.

I’m curious, have you been to TDR? I’d say it’s worth a 48-hour flight honestly. It’s that good. That’s besides the fact Japan is one of the most impressive countries on the planet.

Any legitimate theme park fan that can afford it should absolutely make the trek over, but it’ll spoil you for what theme parks should be, so maybe you shouldn’t.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Most people I know who are DVC are not taking 3 to 4 large vacations per year. It’s almost always a DVC points vacation (usually at WDW) alongside a family Thanksgiving visit or short beach trip.

That is an exceedingly dense and silly reason not to travel. Extremely.

I can see if you have small kids—though, I know two different people who have taken toddlers to Fantasy Springs from the States since it has opened—and they’ve had nothing but overwhelmingly positive things to say to the point that they’ll be returning later this decade. Of course the flight isn’t fun, but neither are long car rides.

At the end of the day, it’s a big deal if you choose to make it one.

I’m curious, have you been to TDR? I’d say it’s worth a 48-hour flight honestly. It’s that good. That’s besides the fact Japan is one of the most impressive countries on the planet.

Any legitimate theme park fan that can afford it should absolutely make the trek over, but it’ll spoil you for what theme parks should be, so maybe you shouldn’t.
My 4 year old was born at the start of a global pandemic and he's been to Hawaii twice, Alaska, Greece, Italy, the UK, and Florida at least half a dozen times.

The Hawaii flight from Boston is 11 hours and we've done it with 3 kids in masks. My kids have traveled more than most adults and the oldest is under 10. We're not afraid of flying.

I have *zero* interest in going to Japan, ever.

DisneyHead123

Random note going back to the notorious ball pit - I read on another Disney board that they probably meant a GaGa ball pit. If so it speaks to a lapse in judgement from the marketing team (who should use more clear language,) but at least reassurance that the DCL Imagineers have not actually cracked under the pressure and lost their collective minds, lol.

DisneyHead123

Can’t speak for all Americans, but I find traveling in new cultures intimidating as I’m always worried about making a faux pas or not understanding the culture correctly. Yes you can read about cultural norms online but something as subtle as that is often hard to describe on a blog. I also struggle with phrases in new languages as I forget everything when I’m nervous, lol. Those who grow up in places like Europe where new languages and cultures are as close as neighboring states are here probably develop more adeptness with this early on.

JoeCamel

Random note going back to the notorious ball pit - I read on another Disney board that they probably meant a GaGa ball pit. If so it speaks to a lapse in judgement from the marketing team (who should use more clear language,) but at least reassurance that the DCL Imagineers have not actually cracked under the pressure and lost their collective minds, lol.
OK I watched a video of GaGa play and don't get the attraction

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom