Characters lips moving on stage - video

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They are definately not synched by any outside source, strictly controlled by the user.

Another reason they will not be used for meet and greet anytime soon is the astronomical cost involved and the noise that comes from the mechanics of the parts involved which can be masked by loud show music.
Can you let us techno geeks in on how the system works?

meanstreakgirl

one of my friends actually sent me a link to this video a few days ago. This is indeed aweosme! Yet, its kinda scary looking at the same time. LoL! But I enjoyed watching it and can't wait to see it!!!! I'm going to Orlando in Feb. and I'll be sure to make a stop to see this!!! :)

PaisleyMF

Actually the system is refer as a Waldo. It was design by none other that The Jim Henson Creature Shop. It has been use in the Muppets Show (the one linked here) also on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movies (in the 90) also Used on the 3D character in Muppet Vision 4D attraction.

Waldo_Courtesy_of_Thomas_A._Newby.jpg

This is the Creature Shop Waldo. Remember this kinda old technology and with newer controllers and servos it can be modified.

Doing a some more research i found this The Henson Perormance Control System (Big1), that can actually help in some questions.

TrapaJon18

Actually despite what most of you may think, the characters mouths are controlled by the right hand and the eyes are controlled by the left. Watch the video, the CM presses their index finger down to control the character head, very simple, none of the Muppet stuff going on. If you dont believe me re-watch the video but watch the characters hands.

goofyfan13

Actually despite what most of you may think, the characters mouths are controlled by the right hand and the eyes are controlled by the left. Watch the video, the CM presses their index finger down to control the character head, very simple, none of the Muppet stuff going on. If you dont believe me re-watch the video but watch the characters hands.

Good eye, it took me about a minute into it to catch it because their hand movements are still exaggerated, no doubt to hide the constant pressing of the index finger.

Rob562

Good eye, it took me about a minute into it to catch it because their hand movements are still exaggerated, no doubt to hide the constant pressing of the index finger.

Wow. And here I was, thinking it was more high-tech than that (radio control synched to the soundtrack). Though I'm not surprised. Doing tech work with my community theater group we've proven time and again that sometimes the most impressive effects are the simplest ones.

The most noticeable point in the video is the ending showing Mickey & Minnie up on the raised platform.

-Rob

Actually despite what most of you may think, the characters mouths are controlled by the right hand and the eyes are controlled by the left. Watch the video, the CM presses their index finger down to control the character head, very simple, none of the Muppet stuff going on.

You hit this one right on the head!!!

Buried20KLeague

Am I the only one that thinks this might confuse kids a bit? The Mickey on stage speaks and moves his mouth, but not the one at the meet n greet?

Then again, I guess before this they talked on stage but not in meet n greets. So maybe it's a moot point. :hammer:

barnum42

Am I the only one that thinks this might confuse kids a bit? The Mickey on stage speaks and moves his mouth, but not the one at the meet n greet?

Then again, I guess before this they talked on stage but not in meet n greets. So maybe it's a moot point. :hammer:

Not a problem, as there is a very good reason why they do not talk during meet and greets:

It’s all to do with the physics and complications of pixie dust generated time travel wormholes.

The main characters are in a lot of demand and let’s face it – how can Mickey appear to be in, the Jammin’ Jungle Parade at the same time as greeting someone else in Toon Town?

Easy! Pixie Dust generated time travel wormholes. Whilst there is only one Mickey these wormholes allow him to bend the space-time fabric so that he can appear to be in two places at once. At least that is how it appears to us. Mickey’s own day will start and then run in sequence for him, using the wormholes to slip through to different time periods of the day.

To make his life easier Mickey will normally first don his tailcoat and then go to the various times in the day he is seen wearing it. Then he will put on his next costume and appear in the various times of the day he is seen in that outfit and so on through the full day’s wardrobe.

This is where it gets complicated and why he does not talk.
For example, say little Suzie meets Mickey at the start of the day at Animal Kingdom in his Safari outfit. She then goes to Magic Kingdom for the evening and sees him for the second time in the day, this time wearing his tailcoat.
When Mickey sees Suzie in the evening it will be the first time he meets her. But to Suzie she has already met Mickey that morning, so this is the second time she has met him (still with me folks?)

So, Suzie would get very confused, and possibly upset if she tried to continue a conversation she had with Mickey in the morning at Animal Kingdom only to find Mickey does not appear to remember a thing about it. However dear reader, you will now realise that Mickey has not forgotten all about his meeting with Suzie. In Mickey’s timeline his first meeting with Suzie will happen later in his day when he puts on the safari outfit.

To keep matters simple the characters do not talk rather than take the risk of upsetting or confusing the little ones. The kids are there for a day of fun not to be lectured about the intricacies of folding space and time with all the complications that entails.

See – simple really!

iheartdisney91

is it just me or does this make the charecters look more cute? thanks for posting! does anyone know if ariel is in this? is this like cinderellabration?

joanna71985

is it just me or does this make the charecters look more cute? thanks for posting! does anyone know if ariel is in this? is this like cinderellabration?

No, this is a different show then Cinderellabration. The only princesses in Dream Along with Mickey are Cinderella, Aurora, and Snow White.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not a problem, as there is a very good reason why they do not talk during meet and greets:

It’s all to do with the physics and complications of pixie dust generated time travel wormholes.

The main characters are in a lot of demand and let’s face it – how can Mickey appear to be in, the Jammin’ Jungle Parade at the same time as greeting someone else in Toon Town?

Easy! Pixie Dust generated time travel wormholes. Whilst there is only one Mickey these wormholes allow him to bend the space-time fabric so that he can appear to be in two places at once. At least that is how it appears to us. Mickey’s own day will start and then run in sequence for him, using the wormholes to slip through to different time periods of the day.

To make his life easier Mickey will normally first don his tailcoat and then go to the various times in the day he is seen wearing it. Then he will put on his next costume and appear in the various times of the day he is seen in that outfit and so on through the full day’s wardrobe.

This is where it gets complicated and why he does not talk.
For example, say little Suzie meets Mickey at the start of the day at Animal Kingdom in his Safari outfit. She then goes to Magic Kingdom for the evening and sees him for the second time in the day, this time wearing his tailcoat.
When Mickey sees Suzie in the evening it will be the first time he meets her. But to Suzie she has already met Mickey that morning, so this is the second time she has met him (still with me folks?)

So, Suzie would get very confused, and possibly upset if she tried to continue a conversation she had with Mickey in the morning at Animal Kingdom only to find Mickey does not appear to remember a thing about it. However dear reader, you will now realise that Mickey has not forgotten all about his meeting with Suzie. In Mickey’s timeline his first meeting with Suzie will happen later in his day when he puts on the safari outfit.

To keep matters simple the characters do not talk rather than take the risk of upsetting or confusing the little ones. The kids are there for a day of fun not to be lectured about the intricacies of folding space and time with all the complications that entails.

See – simple really!

Shouldn't his really be in the "How's that done" forum ?:D

There you go spoiling the magic. :animwink: :lol:

tnemgif

This has probably been mentioned before, but it would be really neet to see Disney combine the technology of Lucky, the new masks, and Turtle Talk/Laugh Floor to make a new type of meet and greet or show.

KrazyKemp

I am amazed by this new technology...maybe I am amazed too easily though, lol.

It is especially cool how the CMs control the mouth and eyes by pinching their fingers on either hand. Very hard to notice if you are not looking for it!

I doubt they will bring this to Meet & Greets though, when the characters are on stage it is very hard to see how the magic is happening.

But if the character is right in front of you, it would be so obvious how the illusion is achieved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom