News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know this isn't some big revelation, but tying it back to the article, it seems strange how much value we put on whether someone is qualified for a job or not, based on their outward appearance. People thought Josh seemed like a good guy, so he would make a good parks leader. People saw that Chapek had the poise of a super villain, and have assumed the worst. This whole Hollywood reporter article was focused on Chapek's interpersonal dealings with the people around him, and how he comes off to others, and not at all about the actual business results.

It's a little weird.
At Disney…the “business results” are the EASY part. It sells itself if you don’t mess it up. It’s not a normal product…it has more emotional appeal than damn near anything and a near cult core following (ahem)…

the needed skill is to keep a unified direction that has the appearance of quality and appropriateness. That’s where the “legs” of the longterm business come from. And the legs feed the wolf.

Nubs70

Bob needs to go…and Bob has no business being there.
But honestly, how much hands on input did Bob the Elder and does Bob the Lessor have in the daily operation of the Parks?

Yes they are put out front in PR events to give the appearance of involvement but there is not enough time in the day for any person the be hands on, in the guts of all the different business units that make up DIS.

The CEO is the figurehead and sets the tone but the rot goes down further and is fostered by the skill sets of the senior park managers. If you place like minded business managers in senior management, the parks will be run like a business but without the foresight of managers with a pension for creativity.

There is a time for spreadsheets but needs to be sprinkled with creativity.

The current problem is bigger than the Bob's

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be fair, I think you'd have to reframe this as

Eisner+Wells > Iger > Eisner > Iger+Chapek

We're all suspicious of where this is headed, but he hasn't got the reins to himself yet.
I’d just like to point out that I’m a lowly customer- I’ve slipped the bonds of my former day to day burden - and even late, evil Eisner was better for the average customer than Iger ever was. We confuse a gluttonous overall economy during Spray Tan’s years with our actual fulfillment with what we have paid Disney for during those years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But honestly, how much hands on input did Bob the Elder and does Bob the Lessor have in the daily operation of the Parks?

Yes they are put out front in PR events to give the appearance of involvement but there is not enough time in the day for any person the be hands on, in the guts of all the different business units that make up DIS.

The CEO is the figurehead and sets the tone but the rot goes down further and is fostered by the skill sets of the senior park managers. If you place like minded business managers in senior management, the parks will be run like a business but without the foresight of managers with a pension for creativity.

There is a time for spreadsheets but needs to be sprinkled with creativity.

The current problem is bigger than the Bob's
A ton.

a strictly bottom line directive impacts all aspects of parks.

the “park” people…don’t control anything.

“Josh” makes no decisions on capex…which would be all that matters.

the head of wdw - I don’t even bother to find out anymore - has no control over staffing, hours, food quality or any other details that actually affect your trip.

Disney is a Soviet style oligarchy in practical terms. All power is with the politburo

britain

The rumors spreading around for some time are 100% true. Why else would top executives in all levels of TWDC be stepping down. When you replace a human with some cheap computer software, you take away what a consumer, guest, or just plain old real life human could offer. A program cannot calculate whether a movie will fail or flop or if adding this light fixture on a ride will hide that it's broken or just not thrilling enough.

At Disney I'm a legacy, my grandparents worked for Walt, my parents worked for the company and now I do. It's home, it's more than just brand loyalty or worshipping the mouse. TWDC is family, I grew up with so many great people from animators, to directors, to Disney Legends. These changes really do hurt. You cannot tell an Artist that they have to stop being an artist because Chappie Software 7.0 says it cost too much or a guest won't like it.

I admit, I often like to come onto these forums to see guest raw reactions, you can only see so much on Facebook, instagram, or twitter. You are all true Disney fans and guest. Not saying that I trust forums more than software but jeez, real humans beats a computer. I wasn't a fan of Iger, but Iger did grant us some freedom. It wasn't always about the shareholders. Albeit one of the reasons Joe ended up leaving WDI was his dislike of IP influencing every aspect of the future of WDI. If anyones watched Disney Plus he admits one of his least favorite projects was Pandora. He was the God of DAK, for him to publicly admit it wasn't his fondest project is one thing.

Imagineers work best when they love and are passionate about a project. IE why everyone of my generation wanted to work on Galaxies Edge because of our love for Star Wars. Relying on a computer to explain to us how to do our jobs or how to think, is like asking a member of the board who knows nothing about Disney, never been to Disney, how to engineer new graphics for a simulator or make a boring roller coaster into something totally unique to a theme park.

Computers cannot replace the human experience, not yet at least. Computers can't complain that paint is falling or an AA just doesn't look right the way it moves. That hurts, because people like me truly love our jobs, but to constantly be turned down in order to stay on budget, to reduce cost, to reduce the Four Keys, really really leaves many at all levels of TWDC uninspired to produce. Loosing some of my best friends who I would have never thought leave TWDC has pushed me past loyalty many times.

I want to wait things out, but if the ship sinks too far and there comes a point in which nothing I or my fellow teammates produce comes to fruition, either we will be laid off, or forced to quit. That is something I dread and hate to think about whilst getting ready for work. But that's the hard cold reality at every level, from Media to consumer to technology. You cannot push someone to enjoy or like a product no matter what the stupid computer software says. DATA IS NOT A REAL HUMAN! They cannot shed real tears as they watch their grandparents bring their grandchild and children to the same park their own parents brought them to when the parks first opened. Software can't explain why people are so amused at watching a tv series about homicidal children's games.

The Human Condition is something we as humans have attempted since the dawn of writing to bring into fruition and understand, but its not possible. Not even with the worlds most advanced computers, because no two people share or see the same product/media asset/ or attraction in the same way. Software can't understand why that 5 year old is crying of joy from hugging Mickey Mouse or why that 45 year old thinks a ride should be longer and more entertaining.

One can only attempt to control so much and honestly, as someone who's approaching 13 years with TWDC, it hurts. It hurts to see that my grandparents and parents retired from a company they loved and I still adore, but that I now realize may not be the place I can spend the rest of my useful career enjoying. In no way would I ever work for a competitor, no one feels that way, but moral has never ever felt this low, C-19 in no way is to blame for that. Yes it's pushed a lot of divisions to a brink, but poor corporate management can't be blamed on that virus, that's on them. I can only hope things get better over time, but infighting, stupid regulations, and making everything about data is not a sustainable future for a Global Empire that relies heavily on real human experience.

I like your moving post. And I feel for you and your generations of loyal Disney family.

Help me better understand this emphasis on computer data that apparently Chapek is fond of. Is he advocating A.I. created scripts? Seems like the worst “numbersy” thing we can really say about Chepek is that he wants to cut budgets, cut out the inefficiency of creating new IP, because he feels the strength of current IP will be sufficient.

That, and coming across as a normal guy doesn’t seem to be in his skill set. But I won’t hold that against him if he was making inspired decisions.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’d just like to point out that I’m a lowly customer- I’ve slipped the bonds of my former day to day burden - and even late, evil Eisner was better for the average customer than Iger ever was. We confuse a gluttonous overall economy during Spray Tan’s years with our actual fulfillment with what we have paid Disney for during those years.

Late Eisner started down the path of cheap park experiences (DCA 1.0). He also set up the company for a hostile takeover attempt, which would have basically ended Disney.

Iger, for all his flaws, shored up the company with his acquisitions to the point where it would take a *lot* for Disney to completely fail for a long time. Anything is possible of course, but Disney is still, even with everything that's going on, in relatively good financial shape. If this pandemic had happened in the late Eisner years, Disney would be done.

Nothing other than Walt + Roy can top Eisner + Wells. The 90s were really a golden age of expansion and investment, and they are still living off that today. But to say late Eisner is better than Iger is a bit myopic.

pdude81

I'm not taking a stand on the prior poster's list as I'm not as well-versed on the executive infighting as so many are here. Just kind of adding Iger to the last Chapek line since he's still messing with the radio while the other guy is driving.

However, what was done to JII on Eisner's watch could sink him even lower if I really dug in and thought about it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm not taking a stand on the prior poster's list as I'm not as well-versed on the executive infighting as so many are here. Just kind of adding Iger to the last Chapek line since he's still messing with the radio while the other guy is driving.

However, what was done to JII on Eisner's watch could sink him even lower if I really dug in and thought about it.
And Horizons....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

And Horizons....

Um…have you seen what they’ve done to Epcot under the Bobs?

…just trying to get my reference points.

I also dispute the contention that Eisner messing with the edutainment concept wouldn’t have gotten just as sloppy/worse without him. So there’s that too.

pdude81

Um…have you seen what they’ve done to Epcot under the Bobs?

…just trying to get my reference points.

I also dispute the contention that Eisner messing with the edutainment concept wouldn’t have gotten just as sloppy/worse without him. So there’s that too.
Well things sure didn't get better for Epcot when Iger arrived, I'll give you that. It had already been mortally wounded, but could have been saved.

mightynine

Help me better understand this emphasis on computer data that apparently Chapek is fond of.
I imagine it’s using and possibly giving greater weight to data to justify business decisions. Chapek doesn’t seem like one to go with his gut on something and take a chance.

The Aracuan Bird

I think Iger should have left years ago while he was still on a high. But he stayed to long, got cold feet when Covid hit and tried to step down. Then he tried to retake the reigns as a way of “playing hero”. But now that Chappie has settled in, Iger doesn’t seem to be able to (or care to?) stop him from making decisions that erode Disney’s brand and reputation for quality. If Iger’s legacy goes down with the Chapek Ship, it’s on him for sticking around too long.

And to think. Reportedly, the main reason he stayed was to see the completion of his mark on Star Wars, with the last of the new trilogy and Galaxy’s Edge. Look how that turned out. I don’t even think he was there for the opening of the new land.

John park hopper

Disney reminds me of the US auto industry -- at one time the US auto industry had the market locked up and they became complacent quality, cost, service declined. There were a lot loyal US car buyers but that has changed when along came the Japanese and their goal was quality, service, cost and the US auto industry took a big hit. At this point I don't think Universal will over take Disney there are still to many loyal Disney fans but if Disney continues down their current road Universal will gain a lot of disgruntled Disney fans. Bob you better wake up it's not all about stockholder dividends. just my 2 cents

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think Iger should have left years ago while he was still on a high. But he stayed to long, got cold feet when Covid hit and tried to step down. Then he tried to retake the reigns as a way of “playing hero”. But now that Chappie has settled in, Iger doesn’t seem to be able to (or care to?) stop him from making decisions that erode Disney’s brand and reputation for quality. If Iger’s legacy goes down with the Chapek Ship, it’s on him for sticking around too long.

And to think. Reportedly, the main reason he stayed was to see the completion of his mark on Star Wars, with the last of the new trilogy and Galaxy’s Edge. Look how that turned out. I don’t even think he was there for the opening of the new land.

I think Iger just tweeted about GE being open and millions of SW fans innundated th… oh wait…

MiddKid

I know someone else already posted that Q4 earnings call is November 10, but as an accountant the sheer thought of having the books in a good enough spot to be able to have a quarterly earnings call on the 5th business day of the next quarter makes me think of a magical paradise.
It’s not magical as the fiscal year ends with September. So it’s over a month before the earnings call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom