News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Vegas Disney Fan

I think that is very connected to the issues at WDW. It's hard for a public company to just be profitable or even highly profitable at this point in time, it has to grow endlessly. In the case of WDW, means it is run with this mentality of needing to endlessly increase profits quarter over quarter. I think they could be smarter about it, but the whole economic system is geared up to reward people like Chapek and Iger for these kinds of moves.

If it drives WDW into the ground, investors will just shrug and move on to the next opportunity. Ah, if only Disney or at least the parks could become a private company that would go some way to addressing these issues!

As a Disney fan I totally agree, as someone approaching retirement age who needs my IRA and investments to keep up with inflation I also see the need for companies to keep investors happy or we’ll find other places to invest. The publicly traded company model is counterproductive to long term success because it’s so focused on the short term.

In a perfect world Disney would go private so they can focus on the business rather than the investors, ironically they’ve been so successful even Disney can’t afford to buy Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a Disney fan I totally agree, as someone approaching retirement age who needs my IRA and investments to keep up with inflation I also see the need for companies to keep investors happy or we’ll find other places to invest. The publicly traded company model is counterproductive to long term success because it’s so focused on the short term.

In a perfect world Disney would go private so they can focus on the business rather than the investors, ironically they’ve been so successful even Disney can’t afford to buy Disney.
Disney’s stock core strength has always been it’s long term stability. Which is why it’s in the Dow 30…it survives when others fall.

making investors rich in the short term is out of its lane…and wasn't a concern until idiots named Bob with no creativity showed up

MrPromey

"The Walt Disney Co. has disclosed the executive compensation for CEO Bob Chapek and former executive chairman Bob Iger, who ended his tenure at the company at the end of last year.

Chapek’s compensation package for the year totaled $32.46 million, compared with $14.1 million in the previous year, which had reflected the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic and which had been the first in which he led the company after his elevation in February 2020.

Iger’s compensation in his last year with the company totaled $45.9 million, compared with $21.0 million in the previous fiscal year, $47.5 million in the year before that and $65.6 million in fiscal 2018, which was boosted by a stock package that he was awarded as an incentive to remain with the company past his originally planned retirement date.

Disney disclosed top executives’ compensation in a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The compensation packages rose sharply because Chapek and Iger did not take bonuses in fiscal 2020 due to the pandemic.

The compensation disclosure only covers the company’s latest fiscal year, which ended on Oct. 2. In other words, it doesn’t include Iger’s end-of-contract stock grant, which was awarded to him on Dec. 31, and which was worth nine figures."

Glad to know all that COVID money saved on all the cuts went somewhere important.

... Tell me why we still don't have trams in 3-of-4 parks, again?

ImperfectPixie

I am sorry that it makes so many mad here that he got this bonus but in the world he is in he deserves the bonus.

I don’t even like the guy but he is doing his job.

You dorks who all think this is a Minecraft exercise need to wake up and understand that this is a business. Things change, successful CEO’s make hard decisions, you won’t always have a cardboard sign world of motion attraction.

Walt was in it to make money too wake the …. up.
Um...you do realize that the most powerful position in the entire US only pays $400,000, right?

There's no reason these schlubs are making more than that...they aren't more important than the President of the United States.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I am sorry that it makes so many mad here that he got this bonus but in the world he is in he deserves the bonus.

I don’t even like the guy but he is doing his job.

You dorks who all think this is a Minecraft exercise need to wake up and understand that this is a business. Things change, successful CEO’s make hard decisions, you won’t always have a cardboard sign world of motion attraction.

Walt was in it to make money too wake the …. up.
Yikes! Coming outta the gates strong huh? LOL.

Your successful CEO statement is on point however....

Your Walt statement seems a bit off. As I understand it, Walt "was in it" to make whatever idea he had in his melon become a reality. Walt also wasn't stupid and he understood he needed money to make those ideas happen. However it didn't appear that making money was in the forefront of his thought process when coming up with an idea or trying to execute it. His brother was there to make sure Walt didn't bankrupt the company in the process of making whatever crazy idea had come to fruition.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yikes! Coming outta the gates strong huh? LOL.

Your successful CEO statement is on point however....

Your Walt statement seems a bit off. As I understand it, Walt "was in it" to make whatever idea he had in his melon become a reality. Walt also wasn't stupid and he understood he needed money to make those ideas happen. However it didn't appear that making money was in the forefront of his thought process when coming up with an idea or trying to execute it. His brother was there to make sure Walt didn't bankrupt the company in the process of making whatever crazy idea had come to fruition.
…I personally love it when backup slot cornerback comes in with “swagger”…

1642772338162.gif

SpoiledBlueMilk

Um...you do realize that the most powerful position in the entire US only pays $400,000, right?

There's no reason these schlubs are making more than that...they aren't more important than the President of the United States.
The salary for President sucks. The lobbyists and lawyers two blocks away from the White House make more than he does. Hell, Dr. Fauci was paid $434,300 in 2020 and the head of the Tennessee Valley Authority (a quasi-government agency) was hired in 2019 for a total compensation package of $8.2 million.

ImperfectPixie

The salary for President sucks. The lobbyists and lawyers two blocks away from the White House make more than he does. Hell, Dr. Fauci was paid $434,300 in 2020 and the head of the Tennessee Valley Authority (a quasi-government agency) was hired in 2019 for a total compensation package of $8.2 million.
My point is that the President makes far more important decisions than the schmucks running Disney, but isn't paid an exorbitant amount of money.

ETA: People always use "but look at the decisions they make!" as an acceptable reason.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Walt comparisons have been played out for 50 years…though you’re not wrong…

I think the better comparison is the 80’s/90’s and “he who should not be named”

there was a good 10-15 years there when they chased money to no end…but they did it by growth and increasing their audience and products…

this particular can of crap in charge is doing almost the opposite…Eliminating demographics and withdrawing from some marketplaces. Even with Disney+…who’s biggest challenges are ahead.

Last edited:

celluloid

When he told people that he does not like being called a greedy corner cutting or other negative financial names, he was clearly not really that hurt. Genie Plus, no trams, cutting holiday bonuses, keeping people waiting and reduced entertainment savings all to make sure he and don't forget the small table of others, got their hundreds million more...
And who on the board is going to not let that guy have his millions increase when he says they can get some millions too. Anyone who was hoping Josh was somehow different. No evidence. It is a circle of grooming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s a bad comparison…civil servants are not paid based on their power…

but the “acceptance” that corporate people have pay structures that almost literally require them to be short term cut throats is stupid.

this isn’t democracy/“free market”…it’s plutocracy in so many ways

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm sure it has been said. Where is the double pay raise for the people actually running the parks. The ride operators, food service and custodians. They are the backbone of the company not the ones sitting in a office in corporate office.
Not at Disney…it’s never been that way. They won’t get the spoils and will take the brunt in any downturns

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When he told people that he does not like being called a greedy corner cutting or other negative financial names, he was clearly not really that hurt. Genie Plus, no trams, cutting holiday bonuses, keeping people waiting and reduced entertainment savings all to make sure he and don't forget the small table of others, got their hundreds million more...
And who on the board is going to not let that guy have his millions increase when he says they can get some millions too. Anyone who was hoping Josh was somehow different. No evidence. It is a circle of grooming.
I was doing some work at Victoria falls lounge in august (I think it had just reopened) and was talking to the bartenders and asking how the situation was? (I speak their language…a hobby of mine)

after one said 5 words about “Josh”…my mind was made up.

“Josh is really gonna take things/over, turn things around”

done. He’s a corporate plant playing a role…they’re like elephants in the room. Past is prologue.

she didn’t like my “caution” on the dangers of false prophets in name tags…but I try to not gloss over important details.

John park hopper

Does the President pay rent, electricity, healthcare, gas, pay for transportation, pay for food, pay for vacations and endless other free perks NO--- his salary doesn't suck

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Does the President pay rent, electricity, healthcare, gas, pay for transportation, pay for food, pay for vacations and endless other free perks NO--- his salary doesn't suck
Pee in the bucket…

like some dude that ran a hardware store in Ohio ends up there…

they make $500,000 per hour and up speaking fees afterward from the Wall Street people they enriched for the rest of their lives…good work if you can get it

celluloid

Pee in the bucket…

like some dude that ran a hardware store in Ohio ends up there…

they make $500,000 per hour and up speaking fees afterward from the Wall Street people they enriched for the rest of their lives…good work if you can get it

And the President is never about the money, but all the power, that is why they pay millions of their own and billions of people's other money to get there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom