News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

el_super

I saw a bumper sticker when I was at McDonalds, on one taillight top, a sticker said "2020 sucks" On the other taillight at top sticker "2021 sucks". Started a little early on that one.

LOL... remember when having McDonalds in the park was a sure sign that the investors were going to dump their stock?

Everything is a crisis... until it is forgotten.

James Alucobond

... no one is looking back on this era fondly going, "Oh man that was awesome when we couldn't park hop until 2pm", "I am so glad they took away the Magical Express", "Man those food portions were way to big for the money"
These operational minutiae (relatively speaking) aren't the kinds of things that most people look back and remember when they reflect on specific eras of park history. They'll remember the attractions that opened, the things that were built, the shows that debuted, etc. That parkhopping was temporarily restricted will be footnote that a lot of people ultimately forget about entirely. Not saying they're off to a great start on the construction front either with all of the pandemic-era delays, but the things you're talking about probably won't have a terribly long shelf life in the collective consciousness outside of the Magical Express.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
These operational minutiae (relatively speaking) aren't the kinds of things that most people look back and remember when they reflect on specific eras of park history. They'll remember the attractions that opened, the things that were built, the shows that debuted, etc. That parkhopping was temporarily restricted will be footnote that a lot of people ultimately forget about entirely. Not saying they're off to a great start on the construction front either with all of the pandemic-era delays, but the things you're talking about probably won't have a terribly long shelf life in the collective consciousness outside of the Magical Express.
So are you saying then that there has never been a bad era in history of WDW or that Chappie has something up his sleeve that’s going to make us forget everything that he’s done so far.

Also Is charging for something that was once free considered operational minutia?

We have pages and pages here by tons of fans who remember what was good and what was bad. We may debate on some points but generally what sux, sux and we all know it and remember it.

Sir_Cliff

I'm not so sure about that. I look back very fondly on the days of E-Ticket nights and being able to stay in the parks until late. The earlier closing times are definitely something I dislike about more recent Disney. If unrestricted park hopping and being able to get into a park without a reservation never comes back, I think people will also lament that as taking away a lot of the freedom and spontaneity of a WDW vacation. I suspect Magical Express is going to become a lot more of an amazing service in all of our minds the further we get away from it and get used to having to organise a way from the airport as part of trip planning. Honestly, free Fastness will also probably become something people miss.

One thing about modern Disney is they never add anything to the experience beyond new attractions, which are kind of part and parcel of running theme parks. They only seem to be taking offerings away and, at best, offer previously included services for an upcharge while also increasing the baseline price. Maybe executives will look back on this as a golden era, but I struggle to see what's in it for guests to look back on fondly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So are you saying then that there has never been a bad era in history of WDW or that Chappie has something up his sleeve that’s going to make us forget everything that he’s done so far.

Also Is charging for something that was once free considered operational minutia?

We have pages and pages here by tons of fans who remember what was good and what was bad. We may debate on some points but generally what sux, sux and we all know it and remember it.
Well when you put it this way…it’s rather delusional…

Or it’s part of the praetorian oath: “I shall die defending the honor of Disney and the financial integrity of its stockholders via its ceo…hail, Cesar!!”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not so sure about that. I look back very fondly on the days of E-Ticket nights and being able to stay in the parks until late. The earlier closing times are definitely something I dislike about more recent Disney. If unrestricted park hopping and being able to get into a park without a reservation never comes back, I think people will also lament that as taking away a lot of the freedom and spontaneity of a WDW vacation. I suspect Magical Express is going to become a lot more of an amazing service in all of our minds the further we get away from it and get used to having to organise a way from the airport as part of trip planning. Honestly, free Fastness will also probably become something people miss.

One thing about modern Disney is they never add anything to the experience beyond new attractions, which are kind of part and parcel of running theme parks. They only seem to be taking offerings away and, at best, offer previously included services for an upcharge while also increasing the baseline price. Maybe executives will look back on this as a golden era, but I struggle to see what's in it for guests to look back on fondly.
Erides we’re $14 and a legitimate extension/thank you to the customers…

they weren’t block resells because of bottlenecking from a failure to reinvest

additions to magic kingdom ride capacity since splash mountain (1992): magic carpets of Aladdin
Increase in annual attendance at wdw: bout 20,000,000…give or take

EDIT: I completely forgot about NFL…which is telling. Add mine train and little mermaid…much better 😎

Last edited:

ShookieJones

Also since this might have been skipped (I didn't see it elsewhere):

Michael Eisner Is “A Big Fan Of Both Bobs”: Former Disney CEO Talks Streaming, Cinemas, Selling Topps​

Michael Eisner, the former Walt Disney chief who currently runs holding company Tornante, was upbeat about his two successors at Disney, Bob Iger and Bob Chapek. The former officially left the hallowed halls as of December 31 and the latter, in place for almost a year, is firing up.​
“I am a big fan of Disney. I am a fan of both Bobs. Yes I hired him [Chapek]. Is he the same executive as I am, or Bob [Iger] is, or anybody is? He is his own guy. He was very good at Disney when I was there. He took our home video business from a rental to a sell-through business. That was very risky. He did a very good job in the parks. I am a shareholder. I think he’s going to do very well,” Eisner said Wednesday in an interview on CNBC.​
[ . . . ]​
“There is no loser here. I don’t think the shareholders are losers here, or the consumers are losers here, or certainly either of them” — Iger or Chapek.​
What are we expecting a guy that hired these two and has a ton of money invested as a shareholder to say? “These guys are losers and are going to run the company into the ground?” 🙃

Vinnie Mac

Honestly - I think Y'all are way off with this. I understand the concept of looking back through the lens of time thing, but this ain't it.

There are plenty of eras for products and companies that just were rotten. We don't look back on the 80's era of American car making now and go, oh those cars were actually great. Some things just plain out s*ck no matter how much time passes. Unless some miracle happens and Chappie pulls a rabbit out of his hat, no one is looking back on this era fondly going, "Oh man that was awesome when we couldn't park hop until 2pm", "I am so glad they took away the Magical Express", "Man those food portions were way to big for the money"
Could things get SO MUCH WORSE and we look back and think "wow we thought we had bad back then!" Sure. But that's not the same thing as what you're saying. LOL
Like I said, this happens outside the realm of theme parks and you don't have to look too hard to find examples of said mindset.

Try convincing me that the 2020's are a worse time to live in than the 40's or the 50's.

Let me help you out: You won't convince me.

People always think the past is better than the future. I guess it's just a natural human urge to become pessimistic about the present until it becomes the past. Then all of a sudden it was the "good old days".

ImperfectPixie

Like I said, this happens outside the realm of theme parks and you don't have to look too hard to find examples of said mindset.

Try convincing me that the 2020's are a worse time to live in than the 40's or the 50's.

People always think the past is better than the future. I guess it's just a natural human urge to become pessimistic about the present until it becomes the past. Then all of a sudden it was the "good old days".
Sorry...but the state of America today thanks to corporatization makes things far worse than it was even in the 80s-90s.

ShookieJones

Come on now let's be fair ;). We're not discussing anything as vast and spanning as the world/globe/planet and the "good old days".

We're talking about something VERY specific: the World :)

Your point is accurate about an overarching theme of the "good old days' and that mentality that people take on. I had parents I get it..LOL. This is an attitude to which, I might add I don't subscribe.

But Again we're talking a specific place at a specific time, to just brush it off and say things can't be looked back upon and analyzed somewhat objectively I feel is just being way too dismissive.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The 80’s comparison falls flat for me…we need a history lesson on that…

the 80’s were generally regarded as a great era…

was it in reality? Hell no. The middle/blue collar classes (the largest segment by far) were in a slow but accelerating decline…but people still believed in the good days ahead (that wave crashed methodically from 1990-2020…evidence is everywhere)
Disney was in a “bad” spot until 1984…because the old Disney family leadership was past due date…but the turn around in the late 80’s was amazing…including the parks.

wdw was nothing in 1980…by 1995 it was a behemoth.

I wish all the “bad times I misremember” were that good. The food, service and prices were better too.

Lilofan

Sorry...but the state of America today thanks to corporatization makes things far worse than it was even in the 80s-90s.
I have seen that more over the years. Working in the corporate world, many can get sucked into that corporate mindset without much room for much creativity and flexibility because that's not "what corporate wants ". The strict and rigid system is prevalent and the my way or the highway is real.

Sir_Cliff

I think that is very connected to the issues at WDW. It's hard for a public company to just be profitable or even highly profitable at this point in time, it has to grow endlessly. In the case of WDW, means it is run with this mentality of needing to endlessly increase profits quarter over quarter. I think they could be smarter about it, but the whole economic system is geared up to reward people like Chapek and Iger for these kinds of moves.

If it drives WDW into the ground, investors will just shrug and move on to the next opportunity. Ah, if only Disney or at least the parks could become a private company that would go some way to addressing these issues!

Brer Oswald

Erides we’re $14 and a legitimate extension/thank you to the customers…

they weren’t block resells because of bottlenecking from a failure to reinvest

additions to magic kingdom ride capacity since splash mountain (1992): magic carpets of Aladdin
Increase in annual attendance: bout 20,000,000…give or take
You’re forgetting about the second Dumbo carousel they added.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom