Changes to Spaceship Earth Descent.

wdw71fan

Original Poster
There have been a few changes.. nothing 'drastic' but newer lighting effects added to the 'rock formations' on the right side making them more pronounced.. etc..

From what I understand the attraction is currently 'in-cycle' for a little TLC money and the descent may get a little more attention ...

and FWIW, the powers that be are very aware of the issues with the descent, and there are plans to fix it, whether or not it'll get done is a different story..

Vader2112

Let's hope it does! Just the fact that the ride is housed in the parks Iconic Symbol. I always have enjoyed SSE. I hope it gets all the TLC needed.

Lee

Adventurer
Send them to the file cabinet.
Have them look under "Stuff We Left Out of SSE in 2007 When We Ran Out of Time/Money".
All the relevant plans should be right there. Music cues, too....

DisneySaint

The rehab is so cool in some parts but certainly doesn't make up for the awful narration and the complete lack of anything but triangles in the descent. The interactive video is worthy of a postshow exhibit and nothing more. It was a cheap cop-out.

rsoxguy

I rarely post in this section because I rarely know what I'm talking about in relation to WDW technicalities, but I'm wondering what the problem was with the descent that existed before the last refurb. I realize that the former descent wouldn't really fit with the hokey "choose your own future" nonsense, but I always thought that it was a fairly nice ending to an attraction that is focused on the advancement of communication. It just seems that a lot of money could have been saved by just leaving the end of Spaceship Earth alone.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ The 94 descent scenes were mostly removed in anticipation of a worthy replacement. The project ran out of time and money, and so to avoid a singular display of chicken wire they added wooden triangles, star cloth and a few UV lights.

JOSHG

The descent and narraration both need to be changed terribly. SSE used to be one of my favorite rides in WDW but the "new" narraration just kills it for me.

DocMcHulk

In May, I rode SSE for the first time since the refurb. I was hoping the descent wasnt nearly as bad as people made it out to be. My hopes were crushed. The whole video thing was just bad.

rsoxguy

^ The 94 descent scenes were mostly removed in anticipation of a worthy replacement. The project ran out of time and money, and so to avoid a singular display of chicken wire they added wooden triangles, star cloth and a few UV lights.

So they did have something else in mind. That explains much. Thanks.

rodserling27

Dench: "It Turns out there are copies of some of these books in the libraries of the middle east being watched over by Arab and Jewish scholars. Call it the first back-up system. The books are saved and with them, our dreams of the future."

Vs.

Irons: "But all was not lost. For far across the land, from Cairo to Qurtaba, Jewish Teachers and Islamic Scholars continued the quest for knowledge. In libraries of wisdom, they debated ideas and shared new discoveries with all who would listen."

:(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In May, I rode SSE for the first time since the refurb. I was hoping the decent wasnt nearly as bad as people made it out to be. My hopes were crushed. The whole video thing was just bad.
There is no way to get around it, it is bad. It is that unfinished attic in a house that someone has to live in.

devoy1701

if SSE ever gets the decent that Martin and Lee are referring to I will cave in to TDO and buy new passes for atleast a year...just so I can experience SSE several dozen times during a 12 month period.

misterID

There have been a few changes.. nothing 'drastic' but newer lighting effects added to the 'rock formations' on the right side making them more pronounced.. etc..

From what I understand the attraction is currently 'in-cycle' for a little TLC money and the descent may get a little more attention ...

and FWIW, the powers that be are very aware of the issues with the descent, and there are plans to fix it, whether or not it'll get done is a different story..

This post makes me both happy and sad.

baymenxpac

Dench: "It Turns out there are copies of some of these books in the libraries of the middle east being watched over by Arab and Jewish scholars. Call it the first back-up system. The books are saved and with them, our dreams of the future."

Vs.

Irons: "But all was not lost. For far across the land, from Cairo to Qurtaba, Jewish Teachers and Islamic Scholars continued the quest for knowledge. In libraries of wisdom, they debated ideas and shared new discoveries with all who would listen."

:(

man, the new narration makes me want to punch something. seriously, the most obviously dumbed-down thing in disney the last 10-15 years, and it shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom