Changes to Haunted Mansion Library Busts

CraftyFox

Original Poster
Good. I always felt HM needed to be more inclusive. So many outdated themes in that ride. “MASTER” Gracey? Reeks of privilege.
On a tangentially related note, didn’t the villain in the 2003 film have vaguely-possibly-racially-charged motivations for preventing Gracey from marrying Abigail (at least in the extended lore website that was published at the time)?

Ice Gator

On a tangentially related note, didn’t the villain in the 2003 film have vaguely-possibly-racially-charged motivations for preventing Gracey from marrying Abigail (at least in the extended lore website that was published at the time)?
I think her name was Emily, but yes- that was the reason. Rewatching it as an adult it’s pretty clear. I think the evil butler even makes a comment about “ruining the bloodline” or something at the end when he’s caught.

Captain Barbossa

Elizabeth, not Abigail or Emily.

In terms of the hanging scene, I know it’s supposed to be suicide, but that’s not how I originally saw it. I just simply thought someone was hung. (murdered) People always acted chaotic/crazy when the lights went out, so between all the screaming and yelling, it was easy for me to get distracted and not put “there’s always my way” and the hanging corpse together anyway.

Also, as others have pointed out, there are times when the effect isn’t working properly and it’s very hard to see it. That was the case with my first few rides on HM. Everyone would ask, “did you see the body hanging from the ceiling?” and my initial response was, “there’s someone hanging in the stretching room?”. I’d be looking for it when the lights went out but couldn’t see anything.

Even when I understood that it’s supposed to be suicide, mostly with the help of the movie, it didn’t bother me. It still doesn’t. IMO, it’s the only scene of the attraction that’s actually a bit frightening/has a true, dark vibe. And because of that, I love it. Everything else in the Mansion is essentially comedy, so it’s nice to have something like the hanging scene.

Captain Barbossa

I think her name was Emily, but yes- that was the reason. Rewatching it as an adult it’s pretty clear. I think the evil butler even makes a comment about “ruining the bloodline” or something at the end when he’s caught.
Watched the movie tonight, no “ruining the bloodline”. The closest thing Ramsley says is “your union was unacceptable”. Gracey was going to run off with Elizabeth, as Ramsley states twice in the film, and neglect the mansion. That’s Ramsley’s issue with their relationship, not that Elizabeth is what appears to be Creole. Though I do understand where people might get the race idea.

Tom Morrow

I never thought about this before - The ghost host jokes that he killed himself "to find a way out" (of the room with no windows and no doors) but it's also a double meaning for suicide being "a way out". Huh.

ToTBellHop

I never thought about this before - The ghost host jokes that he killed himself "to find a way out" (of the room with no windows and no doors) but it's also a double meaning for suicide being "a way out". Huh.
How was he trapped in that room but had a rope and big enough latter to make that his way out?

Animaniac93-98

Watched the movie tonight, no “ruining the bloodline”. The closest thing Ramsley says is “your union was unacceptable”. Gracey was going to run off with Elizabeth, as Ramsley states twice in the film, and neglect the mansion. That’s Ramsley’s issue with their relationship, not that Elizabeth is what appears to be Creole. Though I do understand where people might get the race idea.

Roger Ebert made that connection in his review from 2003.

"The movie's most intriguing element is the way it does and doesn't deal with the buried racial theme. We learn that the sinister Ramsley sabotaged his master's romance because if he married, the family would be destroyed. Presumably that would be because an interracial romance was dangerous in old New Orleans, but the movie never says so and indeed never refers to the races of any of its characters. That is either (a) refreshing and admirable, or (b) puzzling, since the whole plot is motivated by race."

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Haunted Mansion 2003 definitely had a stronger script but didn't utilize enough of it's namesake attraction, gags and characters to yield a great movie. HM 2023 went the opposite direction. I think had the two movie concepts been combined, it'd have been a solid winner. With both, the comedic bits were uneven and unfunny. Shame. If they ever try again (maybe 2043?) might I suggest a Goosebumpsesque animated anothology series instead, hosted the Ghost Host with each story being a "Ghost of the Week" mystery. Or make it about the mansion itself, a dead and breakfast for ghosts.

re: Library Busts. Eh, looks fine to me.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The scene is iconic but I wouldn't blame them for changing it. It would be pretty easy to switch to implied murder, although the tricky part is doing it without recording any new Ghost Host dialogue. Murdering his daughter's suitors and driving his daughter insane is actually pretty clever in DLP. Maybe they have some unused Ghost Host dialogue they could stitch together into something here.
Weird. Despite having been on the ride at least a hundred times, I never once assumed suicide.
Too many PotC movies, I guess, but I always thought execution by hanging.

Captain Barbossa

Haunted Mansion 2003 definitely had a stronger script but didn't utilize enough of it's namesake attraction, gags and characters to yield a great movie. HM 2023 went the opposite direction. I think had the two movie concepts been combined, it'd have been a solid winner. With both, the comedic bits were uneven and unfunny. Shame. If they ever try again (maybe 2043?) might I suggest a Goosebumpsesque animated anothology series instead, hosted the Ghost Host with each story being a "Ghost of the Week" mystery. Or make it about the mansion itself, a dead and breakfast for ghosts.

re: Library Busts. Eh, looks fine to me.
I know everyone is required to hate the first film, but I’m a rule breaker. I enjoy it. I think it’s a good movie with plenty of nods to the attraction. Perfect? No. Good? Yes.

In terms of the steamin’ pile of dog poo that came out last year, it was a tough one to watch. Very, very cringe. Way too try hard for me. First film has its flaws, but it’s much easier to watch with less secondhand embarrassment.

Captain Barbossa

Going back to the hanging scene, I really like Paris’ version. It’s not suicide, but murder.

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

The Phantom is up in the rafters holding a noose where he hung his daughter’s fiancé on their wedding day. Not sure if the current state is the Phantom with just the noose like the top picture or noose with corpse like the bottom. Maybe some of our Paris experts could chime in. I do know that this is the only noose left in Paris. All the other ones that appear later in the ride were removed.

Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say, is that if WDW wants to step away from suicide, they could put the Ghost Host up in the rafters holding a noose with or without a corpse.

MerlinTheGoat

Going back to the hanging scene, I really like Paris’ version. It’s not suicide, but murder.

View attachment 795686
View attachment 795687

The Phantom is up in the rafters holding a noose where he hung his daughter’s fiancé on their wedding day. Not sure if the current state is the Phantom with just the noose like the top picture or noose with corpse like the bottom. Maybe some of our Paris experts could chime in. I do know that this is the only noose left in Paris. All the other ones that appear later in the ride were removed.

Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say, is that if WDW wants to step away from suicide, they could put the Ghost Host up in the rafters holding a noose with or without a corpse.
The one with the empty noose is the current one. Another new detail the modern version has is that the Phantom has glowing red lights in his eye sockets. The old one just had empty sockets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom