Changes to Haunted Mansion Library Busts

ToTBellHop

I think a good number of these cultural changes are silly and ridiculous (the Roger Rabbit changes at the top of the list), but I don't think they're entirely wrong for maybe not wanting a visual depiction of a suicide victim in a Disney park.
The scene is iconic but I wouldn't blame them for changing it. It would be pretty easy to switch to implied murder, although the tricky part is doing it without recording any new Ghost Host dialogue. Murdering his daughter's suitors and driving his daughter insane is actually pretty clever in DLP. Maybe they have some unused Ghost Host dialogue they could stitch together into something here.

999th Happy Haunt

I think a good number of these cultural changes are silly and ridiculous (the Roger Rabbit changes at the top of the list), but I don't think they're entirely wrong for maybe not wanting a visual depiction of a suicide victim in a Disney park.
The scene is iconic but I wouldn't blame them for changing it. It would be pretty easy to switch to implied murder, although the tricky part is doing it without recording any new Ghost Host dialogue. Murdering his daughter's suitors and driving his daughter insane is actually pretty clever in DLP. Maybe they have some unused Ghost Host dialogue they could stitch together into something here.
It’s a purposefully mildly frightening scene. God forbid there be some aspect of challenge or fear in your haunted themed attraction.

wedenterprises

It actually took me years to realize it was someone hanging from the ceiling. It just never looked like anything to me. Once I realized what it was I was kinda disturbed. It would be the least offensive change in the parks if they do change it. I could see them projecting bats flying at us or something.
Anyway that projected bust looks awful and reminds me of the Big Thunder explosion projections. Some things are better left in the old school. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It actually took me years to realize it was someone hanging from the ceiling. It just never looked like anything to me. Once I realized what it was I was kinda disturbed. It would be the least offensive change in the parks if they do change it. I could see them projecting bats flying at us or something.
Anyway that projected bust looks awful and reminds me of the Big Thunder explosion projections. Some things are better left in the old school. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.
especially when there are so many other things across the park they SHOULD do

bpiper

I think the problem is dusting or lack there of regularly. The scrim hanging above you collects a lot of dust in the air thus making the openings smaller. That impairs your view of the scene. Whenever mansion goes down for maintenance, you will notice that that scene and along with other scrim scenes look a lot better. Vacuuming.

Right now, Navi River needs it bad. When it opened, you couldn't see the scrims, but now they show up in you vision.

bpiper

If they want to improve dated effects, I wish they'd turn to the equally-iconic "it's a small world" and upgrade the flying elements into versions that do not break down as often and that hide their inner workings better.
I thought people have said that the flying elements were turned off due to OSHA problems and lawyers.

MerlinTheGoat

I thought people have said that the flying elements were turned off due to OSHA problems and lawyers.
I believe it was only the tightrope unicycle figures in the finale that were permanently removed many years ago now. The other floating elements such as the balloons, flying carpets etc have all still operated intermittently in recent years. Small World at WDW was actually brought back to fairly good condition prior to Covid. Unfortunately, as with many attractions now, it has faltered and many things have broken again. Not because of lawyers or anything, just poor upkeep.

Ice Gator

They are apparently removing the Hanging Ghost Host in California, So...
Has there been any confirmation on this yet? I’ve heard this rumor for years and, unlike *some* of the other changes they made to DL and MK recently, I think it’s ridiculous.

I do believe it, and fear that we’ll lose the original audio soon. I’m sure they’ll point the finger at it for being a suicide joke (though there are much more grim scenes and themes in the ride itself that won’t be touched, oh the hypocrisy).

I really liked the new HM movie, but the stretching room scene didn’t even have the hanging corpse- the paintings just came alive and the room was swirling with cgi ghost effects. I don’t think it’s a STRETCH to assume that we just get a projection screen of a spooky face, or a flying ghost effect in the next few years…sigh

Tha Realest

Has there been any confirmation on this yet? I’ve heard this rumor for years and, unlike *some* of the other changes they made to DL and MK recently, I think it’s ridiculous.

I do believe it, and fear that we’ll lose the original audio soon. I’m sure they’ll point the finger at it for being a suicide joke (though there are much more grim scenes and themes in the ride itself that won’t be touched, oh the hypocrisy).

I really liked the new HM movie, but the stretching room scene didn’t even have the hanging corpse- the paintings just came alive and the room was swirling with cgi ghost effects. I don’t think it’s a STRETCH to assume that we just get a projection screen of a spooky face, or a flying ghost effect in the next few years…sigh
No, you see, that’s a step too far.

Meanwhile, tons of merch centered around the character that killed seven of husbands.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member

Hopefully if they do rework it they'll retain the bulk of his spiel and only alter the way in which he died. A curse, starvation, spider bite victim, drowning at sea, etc.

tparris

Not sure why everyone is convinced that the bust’s expression is changing now, the only thing that changed was the light source. There was no new effect added, it just seems that way because the color temperature is different with the new light/projector

splah

I’ve seen one YouTube short that is focused on the new effect and I can’t tell if what the animation is. Has anyone seen a good clip or can someone snag one?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom