Changes coming to Rose & Crown?

DisneyDebRob

What they do best is bangers and mash.
So make it less authentic than the local uk pub in every American town?
Disagree with the bangers and mash.
As for authenticity, most big cities have at least one or more restaurants that have the atmosphere, usually better food and the ambience of almost every restaurant in WS. Most of us go to be absorbed in the country we are eating making it for a fun day, not because the food blows us away or is better then we can get anywhere.

dreday3

Disagree with the bangers and mash.
As for authenticity, most big cities have at least one or more restaurants that have the atmosphere, usually better food and the ambience of almost every restaurant in WS. Most of us go to be absorbed in the country we are eating making it for a fun day, not because the food blows us away or is better then we can get anywhere.

Exactly.

I have never been to the UK so I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to their food.
But the "Pub" we go to here in Chicago is owned by an Irish couple, but it's well known for it's Shepherd's Pie and Fish/Chips. Also a Guinness meatloaf, steak pie and other stuff. I don't know how authentic, but it's sure good.

But again, too heavy for theme park touring!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Even though its heavily influenced by french cuisine, creole/cajun food is pretty American too.. But "BBQ" is so regional. The difference between the term in different parts of the country varies wildly. There is a huge difference between texas, Carolina and whatever that ketchup coated mess in KC is :)

Very true. How the meat is prepared plus the sauce can make such a huge difference.

andysol

Even though its heavily influenced by french cuisine, creole/cajun food is pretty American too.. But "BBQ" is so regional. The difference between the term in different parts of the country varies wildly. There is a huge difference between texas, Carolina and whatever that ketchup coated mess in KC is :)
No doubt. The regional cuisine alone is why I think America has the best cuisine in the world.

Tex mex/Mexican/cali mex. Even southwest food with their chilis are completely different.
The bbq variances as you said
The pizza variances between Chicago and NY

But even the regions such as Deep South food. Or Louisiana like you said. Or the low country/high country boils. Or the crab from the NE. Or the best steak in the world (sorry, Argentina- love you, but we still got ya beat). And the list goes on.

Can you blame us for being the fattest country by a mile? :D

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
No doubt. The regional cuisine alone is why I think America has the best cuisine in the world.

Tex mex/Mexican/cali mex. Even southwest food with their chilis are completely different.
The bbq variances as you said
The pizza variances between Chicago and NY

But even the regions such as Deep South food. Or Louisiana like you said. Or the low country/high country boils. Or the crab from the NE. Or the best steak in the world (sorry, Argentina- love you, but we still got ya beat). And the list goes on.

Can you blame us for being the fattest country by a mile? :D

All true. Another variation that a lot of people don't know about or overlook - American biscuits. The ones that are made in "the south" are much different than what gets made elsewhere in the country. Much lighter and fluffier in the south, the ones in the north are more dense and heavy. I believe the flour used in the south is only produced in southern states. Obviously with the internet people can purchase that kind of flour and have it shipped to their homes, but on a mass scale, it's not happening.

Now I really want to visit R&C, for more than the inside bar. 😂

stuart

I still think they miss a trick not serving a proper breakfast there - including potato scones and black pudding.

Bacon rolls a given too, obviously - with brown sauce of course.

Could easily have hot filled rolls, lighter options such as traditional sandwiches - ploughmans etc.

Nothing to stop them having haggis on the menu either.

Lilofan

I still think they miss a trick not serving a proper breakfast there - including potato scones and black pudding. Bacon rolls a given too, obviously - with brown sauce of course. Could easily have hot filled rolls, lighter options such as traditional sandwiches - ploughmans etc. Nothing to stop them having haggis on the menu either.
Haggis is the real deal but finding out one is eating sheep’s offal and black pudding made with pigs blood could cause some to lose their appetite.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
So if they are going to be offering small plates of UK food, might I suggest Scotch eggs ( UK Mp's love talking about scotch eggs!)
Good news, they’ve got them!
52C7AD22-38EA-4EE8-AE4C-F8F6BE17652D.jpeg

@stuart beat me to it, sign me up for a haggis app too!

Nothing to stop them having haggis on the menu either.

Robbiem

Since we’re on this little tangent and is kind of fun:

I disagree and think French cuisine is very good. And strongly disagree regarding Italy. I think it’s incredible.
I do agree that Greece and Turkey are huge standouts for me. Very different from one another, too.
Eastern Europe also does have some surprising dishes, but I wasn’t extremely impressed. Though I’ve only been to a couple countries there- Romania and Poland.

I will say this about America, which I think has the best cuisine in the world. Yes, I know, I know- but hear me out: Every other country has its own cuisine. Italy has Italian. France has French. India has Indian. Greece has Greek. Mexico has Mexican. Etc etc.
The United States does have unique individual dishes, like barbecue, etc. But it doesn’t have its own staple cuisine that people identify outside of burgers, maybe. Instead, it has takes on multiple cuisines and puts it’s melting pot culture in its cuisines as well. The variety and regional cuisines in America stand out above the rest, IMO. And there’s a reason the best chefs in the world go to New York or LA (and some Vegas).

But to bring it all back together, the other places the best chefs end up is Paris… and London.

The UK does get a bad rap. But primarily that’s because, in my opinion, traditional UK food is lacking. So when someone goes to London, they say “I want to eat British food”, they are disappointed in a way they wouldn’t be if they went to Germany and said they want to eat schnitzel or Bratwurst.
But much like America, they have an enormous mixture of other foods there as well as world class chefs.
So I do get your point, but honestly; Im just not a fan.

But at the end of the day, at least your food isn’t Switzerlands… the worst food in the world that you pay a fortune for.
Jac Chirac lost the 2012 Olympics by saying that the only country with worse food than the UK was finland. The Finnish delegate changed his vote from Paris to London

Belgian food is a better quality version of french fare. Lots of chocolate, fries and beer plus waffles whats not to love! I’d recommend brussels fora quick visit from dlp interesting and different vibe to Paris and London

jaxonp

that's because British food sucks.. they'd be wise to just extend the bar into the restaurant area and just offer more fish and chips

jaxonp

Jac Chirac lost the 2012 Olympics by saying that the only country with worse food than the UK was finland. The Finnish delegate changed his vote from Paris to London

Belgian food is a better quality version of french fare. Lots of chocolate, fries and beer plus waffles whats not to love! I’d recommend brussels fora quick visit from dlp interesting and different vibe to Paris and London

Belgian food is better than French? What? lol

wow... you trying to start a war with the French...

nickys

Premium Member
Haggis is the real deal but finding out one is eating sheep’s offal and black pudding made with pigs blood could cause some to lose their appetite.
Vegetarian haggis is pretty tasty. I was a sceptic at first, I love my National dish. But I was persuaded to try the veggie option and it was surprisingly good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom