Changes coming to Rose & Crown?

andysol

To everyone languishing any loss of food-

Just because it becomes a lounge doesn’t mean food goes by the wayside.
-They’ll still have a fully functioning kitchen attached.
-They’ll have walk up non-reserved seating
-They'll have small bites to order. I’m sure fish and chips will stay, for example. It’s cheap and easy.

Just like effectively every other lounge at WDW

Chi84

Premium Member
To everyone languishing any loss of food-

Just because it becomes a lounge doesn’t mean food goes by the wayside.
-They’ll still have a fully functioning kitchen attached.
-They’ll have walk up non-reserved seating
-They'll have small bites to order. I’m sure fish and chips will stay, for example. It’s cheap and easy.

Just like effectively every other lounge at WDW
Nomad Lounge in AK is one of our favorite places to have dinner. The only thing we didn't like was that you had to seat yourself - the system at Brown Derby Lounge, where you added your name to a list and they called and seated you, was better. But we haven't been to Nomad for some time now so it may have changed.

MagicHappens1971

Nomad Lounge in AK is one of our favorite places to have dinner. The only thing we didn't like was that you had to seat yourself - the system at Brown Derby Lounge, where you added your name to a list and they called and seated you, was better. But we haven't been to Nomad for some time now so it may have changed.
I’ve been to nomad several times recently, you sign up for the walk up list and then they bring you to a table

JoeCamel

I’ve been to nomad several times recently, you sign up for the walk up list and then they bring you to a table
No more wander in to a comfy seat on the verandah late morning and hang out for hours? I spent a wonderful breezy afternoon there feasting on charticurie and working my way through their drinks menu. It was magical with the view down the canal to Everest.

DisneyDebRob

Make it a lounge.. bring in more beer selections and only serve what they do best, fish and chips.. watch the money roll in. Put up a few tv’s for our American football and the place would be packed from open to close.

Robbiem

You said there 'was no world class cuisine in London' I proved that point factually incorrect. And just like the US outside of New Orleans and BBQ culture of the Southern states, you can find pretty much all cuisines in all metropolitan areas as the US has no distinct cusine. In London there are plenty good gastro pubs and that's the same all over the UK as well if you didn't want to go to the Michelin starred restaurants that the locals go to.
Some people in the UK love to knock our country and our food is a case in point. Like a lot of countries we have good and bad food but a key point about most of the UK is we have a wide range of cuisines from around the world rather than a mono cuisine like some nations. Saying that a lot of our food - heavy roasts, meat and sweet pies and puddings, bangers and mash etc aren’t best for the florida climate.

I’d love to see a shake up of the dining in the UK - a real chippy, a tea room (jam first) and somewhere which sold real Cornish pastys would show a better side

French food may be famous (partly because unlike the British they tell everyone its the best and create fomo) but I’ve found it just as variable as here in the UK. Italy is really disappointing for food as well. In my travels I’ve found the best food in Europe to be in Belgium, greece and turkey. Eastern europe is often good as well.

matt9112

Make it a lounge.. bring in more beer selections and only serve what they do best, fish and chips.. watch the money roll in. Put up a few tv’s for our American football and the place would be packed from open to close.

What they do best is bangers and mash.
So make it less authentic than the local uk pub in every American town?

Lilofan

Some people in the UK love to knock our country and our food is a case in point. Like a lot of countries we have good and bad food but a key point about most of the UK is we have a wide range of cuisines from around the world rather than a mono cuisine like some nations. Saying that a lot of our food - heavy roasts, meat and sweet pies and puddings, bangers and mash etc aren’t best for the florida climate.

I’d love to see a shake up of the dining in the UK - a real chippy, a tea room (jam first) and somewhere which sold real Cornish pastys would show a better side

French food may be famous (partly because unlike the British they tell everyone its the best and create fomo) but I’ve found it just as variable as here in the UK. Italy is really disappointing for food as well. In my travels I’ve found the best food in Europe to be in Belgium, greece and turkey. Eastern europe is often good as well.
I've eaten in excellent Greek and Turkish places in the USA. I don't have an idea what Belgium food is like much less even know if dining places that serve their fare where they are even located in the USA. There is a reason why a number of taxi drivers in the UK recommend Indian restaurants when asked. They are plentiful in the country and are very good.

Last edited:

bhg469

You said there 'was no world class cuisine in London' I proved that point factually incorrect. And just like the US outside of New Orleans and BBQ culture of the Southern states, you can find pretty much all cuisines in all metropolitan areas as the US has no distinct cusine. In London there are plenty good gastro pubs and that's the same all over the UK as well if you didn't want to go to the Michelin starred restaurants that the locals go to.
Buffalo wings are one of the best bar foods in the world.. Even though they're the easiest thing on the planet to cook, every single place seems to screw it up!! Luckily our hangout in orlando is owned by a transplant, he knows his stuff!

bhg469

So my exposure to british food was at a place back home in Buffalo. It was a small counter service place that made fish and chips and sold all sorts of meat pies, pasties and my persona favorite sausage rolls! It eventually turned into a huge mail order shop that alot if expats would order their hometown food from. It's called Parkers Great British institution. We loved the place a lot.. One year on New Year's Eve we decided we didn't want to stay up for midnight so we ordered a ton of food invited some friends and celebrated UK New Year and just streamed their fireworks!

With the popularity as Rose and Crown as a pub destination, that could vastly be improved, the addition of small plates and an expanded beer/wine/liquor menu, it could be a huge hit!!

Fingers crossed for sausage rolls!!

Lilofan

Buffalo wings are one of the best bar foods in the world.. Even though they're the easiest thing on the planet to cook, every single place seems to screw it up!! Luckily our hangout in orlando is owned by a transplant, he knows his stuff!
Does Hooters buffalo wings count? They are good and so are the wait staff!

andysol

Since we’re on this little tangent and is kind of fun:

I disagree and think French cuisine is very good. And strongly disagree regarding Italy. I think it’s incredible.
I do agree that Greece and Turkey are huge standouts for me. Very different from one another, too.
Eastern Europe also does have some surprising dishes, but I wasn’t extremely impressed. Though I’ve only been to a couple countries there- Romania and Poland.

I will say this about America, which I think has the best cuisine in the world. Yes, I know, I know- but hear me out: Every other country has its own cuisine. Italy has Italian. France has French. India has Indian. Greece has Greek. Mexico has Mexican. Etc etc.
The United States does have unique individual dishes, like barbecue, etc. But it doesn’t have its own staple cuisine that people identify outside of burgers, maybe. Instead, it has takes on multiple cuisines and puts it’s melting pot culture in its cuisines as well. The variety and regional cuisines in America stand out above the rest, IMO. And there’s a reason the best chefs in the world go to New York or LA (and some Vegas).

But to bring it all back together, the other places the best chefs end up is Paris… and London.

The UK does get a bad rap. But primarily that’s because, in my opinion, traditional UK food is lacking. So when someone goes to London, they say “I want to eat British food”, they are disappointed in a way they wouldn’t be if they went to Germany and said they want to eat schnitzel or Bratwurst.
But much like America, they have an enormous mixture of other foods there as well as world class chefs.
So I do get your point, but honestly; Im just not a fan.

But at the end of the day, at least your food isn’t Switzerlands… the worst food in the world that you pay a fortune for.

bhg469

Since we’re on this little tangent and is kind of fun:

The United States does have unique individual dishes, like barbecue, etc. But it doesn’t have its own staple cuisine that people identify outside of burgers, maybe. Instead, it has takes on multiple cuisines and puts it’s melting pot culture in its cuisines as well. The variety and regional cuisines in America stand out above the rest, IMO. And there’s a reason the best chefs in the world go to New York or LA (and some Vegas).
Even though its heavily influenced by french cuisine, creole/cajun food is pretty American too.. But "BBQ" is so regional. The difference between the term in different parts of the country varies wildly. There is a huge difference between texas, Carolina and whatever that ketchup coated mess in KC is :)

pdude81

You know you can eat there…..all night…not just for a show?
Sure, but they took away a popular upcharge event from the restaurant and I assume that wasn't just because they hate money. Part of what contributed to it's popularity is fireworks viewing, both from the upcharge tables down low and the ones you could on the higher level with a regular reservation. These days you can get a dinner reservation for a weekend with less than 30 days to go.

I do visit from time to time for lunch, but without the fireworks event I'd rather eat at any number of other places for Dinner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom