Changes coming to minimum age requirement for park entry

Goofyernmost

I don't think Disney could ever have a one adult to one child ratio. That would hurt many families that have more children then parents.
Right...the "typical family" is two parents and 2 1/2 kids. That 1/2 kid will need to sit out :D
I think you folks are reading a little to much into it. When it says accompanied by someone 14 or older, it didn't say exclusively. There is room for additional people that are silently included in that scenario. What would one on one achieve were three on one didn't do better. In other words...at least a 1 year old.

I do however see many different problems because it basically says that no 7 to 13 year old can enter the park without an adult accompanying them. How does that work with underage mothers? And what specifically is the age that Disney considers to be adult and can go in with someone under 14?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think COPPA is a red herring in this discussion.

If it were COPPA related, you'd need a PARENT, not just someone 14yr old to account/approve for the child.

If I'm under 13, COPPA doesn't allow for the company to ask my big brother if they can collect my info.

SirLink

I think you folks are reading a little to much into it. When it says accompanied by someone 14 or older, it didn't say exclusively. There is room for additional people that are silently included in that scenario. What would one on one achieve were three on one didn't do better. In other words...at least a 1 year old.

I do however see many different problems because it basically says that no 7 to 13 year old can enter the park without an adult accompanying them. How does that work with underage mothers? And what specifically is the age that Disney considers to be adult and can go in with someone under 14?

In all honesty there should be a minimum age you can be before you enter the parks, and how is an underage parent have the dough to afford to go to WDW?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

It is a strange rule, so I can understand why you missed it or it didn't register - "Starting March 23 2013, guests under age 14 will need to be accompanied by a guest age 14 or older."

I could see my daugther at 12 being accompanied by my son 14 and the 12 year old being much more mature. I don't remember ever being in the parks without my parents or someone else's parents before HS. However, I know once my sister and I were maybe 12 or so, we ran all over the parks and just met my parents at designated times (for all the young folk out there, we used these things called "wristwatches").

lazyboy97o

I want to meet this set of parents who are so young, yet has a massive disposable income to take their kids to Disney.
You don't need a large disposable income. The investment required for a visit is less for locals. There are also certain jobs which open employees to free or discounted admission. So a local young parent of a child under three getting in is a much cheaper proposition than bringing a family from out of state.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In all honesty there should be a minimum age you can be before you enter the parks, and how is an underage parent have the dough to afford to go to WDW?

Do you mean no babies in the parks? Also, rich people have kids that are parents very young too. I could see a scenario where young parents have the financial means to enter the parks. Or, maybe, your kids and grandkids are having a hard time of it, so you decide to pay for a day or two of fun. It is not too hard to envision scenarios.

disneyeater

I want to meet this set of parents who are so young, yet has a massive disposable income to take their kids to Disney.

Maybe they got the trip as a gift. Maybe they work for Disney and can get in free. Maybe they have a large trust fund. Maybe they own their own company and have made a good living at a young age.

It really doesn't matter. Point is, they should be allowed to take their children to Disney, especially if over 18 but under 21.

lazyboy97o

Do you mean no babies in the parks? Also, rich people have kids that are parents very young too. I could see a scenario where young parents have the financial means to enter the parks. Or, maybe, your kids and grandkids are having a hard time of it, so you decide to pay for a day or two of fun. It is not too hard to envision scenarios.
I hate to say, but there are also young parents who have sick children. Wouldn't that be a headline. Some young parents being denied entry with their terminally ill child.

Spikerdink

I was shocked to see the original rule that children 7 years old could enter the park without supervision. As a teacher, sometimes I have trouble letting some of the 7 year olds go to the bathroom by themselves. I can't imagine letting them roam around a theme park.

For the people saying if there are young parents they couldn't afford a Disney trip, I point to my cousin who had two kids by the time he was 18. His parents helped he and his wife out with many things, including vacations so it is not out of the question that young people may be struggling financially but can still achieve a Disney trip.

captainkidd

Because its a pain in the neck for parents to have to park, get to the gate, enter the park, turn around and leave. It's much easier to just drop the kids off.

I realize this is not an issue for most tourists, who are soaking up every minute they can spend with the kids while on their Disney vacation. But it may be a pain for other people who don't want to encourage the kids to lie.

I understand. I was thinking I would never let my kids in a theme park by themselves, but my 12 year old, eh, even then, I still don't think so.

disneyeater

Sorry to the one's of 13 year old mothers that will no longer be able to take their kids to WDW without a 14 year old or older companion.:rolleyes:

Those responses are to the person who suggested a parent should have to be 18 or 21 to enter with children. This would effect more people.

Strange that it just says "a guest over 14" the accompanying party, should be a lot older like over 18 maybe even over 21.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Maybe they got the trip as a gift. Maybe they work for Disney and can get in free. Maybe they have a large trust fund. Maybe they own their own company and have made a good living at a young age.

It really doesn't matter. Point is, they should be allowed to take their children to Disney, especially if over 18 but under 21.

Unless I'm reading it wrong or missed something, this new policy is stating that if you are under 14 you must have someone 14 years or older with you. I'm sure if a child of 13 has a child of their own they are going to have some help with said child at the parks, hopefully from someone older like a parent or grandparent.

The Mom

Premium Member

I be have misread it, but I thought it said no one under 14 will be admitted unless accompanied by someone over 14. It doesn't specify parent, or adult. So I guess someone could enter with his 14 or 15 year old friend? So yes, a 13 year old mother could not bring her child in without someone over 14 with her. But a 14 year old mother could.

It also doesn't state one on one - just that there must be someone over 14 with them.

t3techcom18

I do think this is going to be a very interesting policy when it comes to the greater scope of the property. Reason I say that is because the policy of children needing to be 7 years or older to be by themselves or must be accompanied by someone 14 or older is a rule that also pertains to riding solo on attractions.

If Main Entrance falls under the branch of Park Operations and they made this change, will this change affect attractions as well? That's what I'm wondering...and if so, that's going to lead some very interesting and somewhat awkward situations in the future.

This definitely smells of lawyers but I've always wondered why 7 and not at least 10 IMHO. 14 for everyone seems a bit extreme. I started going to the parks by myself at age 12, so why not leave it at 10 at what's probably considered to be the middle ground?

WDW1974

My guess is NexGen privacy issues with the under 14 crowd probably.

Wow, kind of a big jump their. Any reasoning for this?

That sums it all up quite nicely.

This is going to be an EXTREMELY unpopular policy and Disney will likely get kickback.

At WDW, you have folks, incuding DVCers and Brits who are there for weeks and are quite used to letting the kids do their own thing in a relatively safe environment.

In DLR, likely to some extent WDW as well, you have parents actually dropping kids off at the parks after school to use their APs.

Again, this is Disney dealing with COPPA in a rather crude way. ... I had heard rumblings last week that Disney had a MAJOR announcement coming this week, yet knew that WDW Press and Publicity office wasn't taking part, so I knew it couldn't be Disney Springs or even a Glendale-based presser to talk Studios makeover as SW and UNI both get ready to open major attractions in O-Town.

Now, I know what that MAJOR announcement was about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom