Changes coming to minimum age requirement for park entry

disneyeater

Unless I'm reading it wrong or missed something, this new policy is stating that if you are under 14 you must have someone 14 years or older with you. I'm sure if a child of 13 has a child of their own they are going to have some help with said child at the parks, hopefully from someone older like a parent or grandparent.

Again, my reply was to this post

Strange that it just says "a guest over 14" the accompanying party, should be a lot older like over 18 maybe even over 21.

Sorry to keep calling you out @SirLink, just trying to clarify.

StarWarsGirl

I always thought that asking a 14 year old being "responsible" for a 7 or under year old was less than sage.
It's fine if the 14 year old is a babysitter at someone's home (or at a hotel room; I babysat my brother and a friend's daughter once at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort without issue when I was 14. I took them to the pool, though I made sure the lifeguard was out there). It's not so great if they are responsible for a seven year old in Magic Kingdom. That's just...not smart.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I do think this is going to be a very interesting policy when it comes to the greater scope of the property. Reason I say that is because the policy of children needing to be 7 years or older to be by themselves or must be accompanied by someone 14 or older is a rule that also pertains to riding solo on attractions.

If Main Entrance falls under the branch of Park Operations and they made this change, will this change affect attractions as well? That's what I'm wondering...and if so, that's going to lead some very interesting and somewhat awkward situations in the future.

This definitely smells of lawyers but I've always wondered why 7 and not at least 10 IMHO. 14 for everyone seems a bit extreme. I started going to the parks by myself at age 12, so why not leave it at 10 at what's probably considered to be the middle ground?
I am sure there is a much more official and legal reason for choosing 14, but 14 is about the minimum age I see someone having a state issued ID proving their age.

WDW1974

Agreed, these days where there are so many malicious individuals who would seek to do harm to a child, any parent in their right mind would be crazy to let a child younger than this go alone to the parks. I don't mean to be judgmental here, or start a new discussion over this, but it's just too dangerous a place with too many creeps on the prowl.

Creeps at Disney?!?!? People out to do harm?!??

Why would you ever take children to such a place if you truly believe that?

Do you believe the urban myth that kids have been disappearing at WDW for years to organized pedophile rings?

WDW is largely, if your kids are mature and intelligent, one of the best places for them to explore on their own and taste some freedom.

Nemo14

I am sure there is a much more official and legal reason for choosing 14, but 14 is about the minimum age I see someone having a state issued ID proving their age.

Actually I don't know if 14-year-olds would have ID's proving their age. My kids' school ID's did not have their DOB on them.

bgraham34

I dont know any kids who have state issued ID. Passports yes, but I certainly would not let my kid walk around with a passport.

StarWarsGirl

That's a good point. You don't get student ID's until High School most of the time. Most kids are not in high school until about 14. Plus, the minimum babysitting age is 13 in most states, so 14 makes sense, although Florida has no minimum legal babysitting age. 14 is an age where most parents start to feel comfortable with their kids going places. I was 15 before my parents would let me walk over to Epcot from Beach Club. It's just a safety issue.

StarWarsGirl

I dont know any kids who have state issued ID. Passports yes, but I certainly would not let my kid walk around with a passport.
Student ID's usually count.
EDIT: In many states, you can get a learner's permit at age 15. This has the date of birth on it. In some states, it's even younger.

WDW1974

Strange that it just says "a guest over 14" the accompanying party, should be a lot older like over 18 maybe even over 21.

Why?

I couldn't disagree more.

Kids have been on their own at WDW since I was a kid (ancient times). I don't see kids getting into trouble at WDW ... well, unless they are doing so with mom and dad standing right there and totally oblivious.

This is all COPPA related. Take it to the bank. And it's BAD policy.

WDW1974

Yes, this new change seems more for the locals. I think there must have been some problems with kids acting out and no parent around.

None at all.

Kids are growing up faster and are more connected to Mommy and Daddy with smartphones.

This is all about the COPPA 'problem' ... that is why it is effecting kids under 14. Look at the law ...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually I don't know if 14-year-olds would have ID's proving their age. My kids' school ID's did not have their DOB on them.
I know most in states you can get a restricted drivers licence at 15 which will serve as an ID. I think their are a few that go as low as 14 for a learners permit. You can get a state issued ID in Florida for someone as young as 5. Past that I do not know what Disney is going to do to verify age save for taking their word for it or a birth certificate.

Disvillain63

I want to meet this set of parents who are so young, yet has a massive disposable income to take their kids to Disney.
You'd be surprised...I teach in a Title I school system...several of my parents had their darlings when the parent was 14-years old. These students have things that you would think they would not due to their parents lack of income and/or employment...xBox, Playstation, DS, smartphones, etc... At Christmas, they get gifts from EVERY organization that's handing them out, so I imagine the same holds true if they wanted to go to Disney.

bandman

My problem with the new policy is lack of notice. I am taking a group of 100 middle schoolers next week. This new policy changes the way my group will enter the park. I have received no notice from Disney -Instead I find the info here, only a few days before we are to arrive.

WDW1974

I'm headed to other discussions and then lunch ... but the issue really shouldn't go off to some crazy hillbilly scenario (where's @Lee?) regarding 12 or 13-year-old single mothers wanting to take their babies to WDW.

Focus on what it really is and why ... or you might as well talk about how MAGICal new toilets mean that WDW cares about its parks product in FL.

StarWarsGirl

I think this rule has less to do about creeps and pedophiles and more to do with responsibility. I have an 11-year-old brother, and I can say from experience that there is no way we would EVER let him into the parks without one of my parents. There's too much that could happen. They could get lost, lose their pass, lose their cell phone, lose their room key, etc. By age 14, many have gained enough responsibility in order to handle themselves accordingly in a park. Disney is one of the safest places around, but those 13 and under are notoriously irresponsible. I'm not speaking from experience (okay, yes I am, do you know how many room keys I've lost? I managed to stop doing that at age 15, but still).

WDW1974

My problem with the new policy is lack of notice. I am taking a group of 100 middle schoolers next week. This new policy changes the way my group will enter the park. I have received no notice from Disney -Instead I find the info here, only a few days before we are to arrive.

They'll let you in. And if they give you problems about keeping the group together, you can simply either LIE and say an adult will be with them all the time ... BAD, BAD policy.

Has Blondie come out with a post on the DBP?

ratherbeinwdw

Groups this size and age may be one of the problems they are trying to correct. Your students may be well behaved, but when you put kids that age together at a place like Disney, they sometimes really act out to impress each other. I think having to stay with someone 14 and older is a good idea. It doesn't say anything about having to be one on one, so small groups with a 14-year-old in charge will probably be allowed.
I think they should even have a rule where teen groups can only be so large with a specified number of chaperones per group. Might help with the big groups.

SirLink

Why?

I couldn't disagree more.

Kids have been on their own at WDW since I was a kid (ancient times). I don't see kids getting into trouble at WDW ... well, unless they are doing so with mom and dad standing right there and totally oblivious.

This is all COPPA related. Take it to the bank. And it's BAD policy.

I'm a fan of yours Spirit even you know that - I don't see kids getting into trouble, unless at a water park... - but it annoys me as guest when Disney allows Parents to use the parks as a creche, and they misbehave...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom