Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

wogwog

The Whalers are running, right? Or only pontoons?
Here is a copy of the official notice to guests at the resorts as of Sunday.

"As of 1:45pm Sunday, June 19, please note the following operational adjustments:

• Watercraft service is now operating as normal.
  • Resort beaches are unavailable to Guests. Movie Under the Stars will be shown in the indoor location, if applicable.
  • Guests may rent pontoon boats and Boston Whaler boats at available marinas. However, Sea Raycer rentals are not available. Sammy Duval water sports are also unavailable.
  • Guests are not permitted to fish on any resort waterway with their personal equipment at this time."

21stamps

Here is a copy of the official notice to guests at the resorts as of Sunday.

"As of 1:45pm Sunday, June 19, please note the following operational adjustments:

• Watercraft service is now operating as normal.
  • Resort beaches are unavailable to Guests. Movie Under the Stars will be shown in the indoor location, if applicable.
  • Guests may rent pontoon boats and Boston Whaler boats at available marinas. However, Sea Raycer rentals are not available. Sammy Duval water sports are also unavailable.
  • Guests are not permitted to fish on any resort waterway with their personal equipment at this time."
Thank you. I really hope the sea Raycers ban is temporary.

JohnD

The water pageant was running last night. Didn't see the gator display.

For context, here is a past photo of the pageant with the alligator in it. As there are plenty of other barges, I don't think it will be missed.

electric-water-pagaent.jpg

JohnD

Thanks for that. I was trying to picture the gator and couldn't.

Here's a listing from Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_Water_Pageant

"The Electrical Water Pageant that guests see today, consists of the same floats in the same formation dating back to 1977. The only difference is in 1996 a new musical score was created for both the opening and closing of the Electrical Water Pageant as well as each creature depicted in the pageant.

The 1996 to present day lineup of floats and music are:

Opening: "Fanfare" from The Little Mermaid

All floats then change to the American Flag & Stars as they have been doing since 1971: (9 Piece) - "You're a Grand Old Flag", "Yankee Doodle", & "America the Beautiful"

Closing: "Fireworks" & "Jig" from The Little Mermaid"

Seabasealpha1

Again, THIS thread is just to let people know about changes - not to debate whether or not those changes are warranted. And to let folks know if changes are temporary or permanent as time goes by.
Ok...fair enough...but for those of us catching up, would anyone mind pinning the link to the other post somewhere on here? Maybe a litle placeholder?

Could be very helpful.

po1998

I'm a little confused. They put the rope fence along the waters edge, but in addition, the beach itself is off limits?

daringstoic

I'm most interested to see if changes are made to the kiddie area at Typhoon Lagoon. This is an old picture from probably twenty years ago judging by my brother's age in it, but I believe the area is still similar. I can't imagine parents looking at that the same way now.

FB_IMG_14662019904371.jpg

Last edited:

JohnD

I'm most interested to see if changes are made to the kiddie area at Typhoon Lagoon. This is an old picture from probably twenty years ago judging by my brother's age in it, but I believe the area is still similar. I can't imagine parents looking at that the same way now.

A child inside an alligator's mouth. Wow. For all we know that hasn't been there since before the attack.

Bronson55

Any changes to all the fiberglass alligators in and around the pool at POFQ? The ones not playing instruments double as water fountain and a pool side shower. Would hate to see them go but certainly would understand if they were removed if even temporarily. There is no reasonable way to completely remove alligator symbols from everything Florida . I agree with most of the changes made thus far.
POFQ-2.jpg

BrerJon

Are they really removing all gator statues and references throughout property? That's crazy. Alligators aren't a new thing, they've been around longer than WDW, and they're not even particularly more dangerous now than they were, so if a statue of one was fine in 1980, it's fine now.

Why is everyone acting as if they've just realised they exist? The fact there are so many references shows they're part of the culture, and have always been.

I get not having a dancing one in the stage show, but as for the decorations... overkill. Nobody is going to go running to Guest Relation in floods of tears because they stumble upon a statue of Lagoona Gator accidentally.

Wdw62114

This whole incident is a prime example of how this society turned into a bunch of softies. Yes it was a tragic event and feel horrible for the family of the boy but seriously! One freak accident death in 45 year history and now all of a sudden, alligators are views as this new creature that suddenly invaded WDW in the past 2 weeks reeking havoc on guests. I think its sad that a company has to feel obligated to remove certain features and theming because people are so sensitive to something that has been there since the parks opened.

DisneyOutsider

Are they really removing all gator statues and references throughout property? That's crazy. Alligators aren't a new thing, they've been around longer than WDW, and they're not even particularly more dangerous now than they were, so if a statue of one was fine in 1980, it's fine now.

Why is everyone acting as if they've just realised they exist? The fact there are so many references shows they're part of the culture, and have always been.

I get not having a dancing one in the stage show, but as for the decorations... overkill. Nobody is going to go running to Guest Relation in floods of tears because they stumble upon a statue of Lagoona Gator accidentally.

Do you have any new info that we don't? Not a single post in this short thread states that any gator statues are being removed. I believe they are here to stay.

Goofyernmost

Any changes to all the fiberglass alligators in and around the pool at POFQ? The ones not playing instruments double as water fountain and a pool side shower. Would hate to see them go but certainly would understand if they were removed if even temporarily. There is no reasonable way to completely remove alligator symbols from everything Florida . I agree with most of the changes made thus far. View attachment 147290
I certainly would not understand if they were removed. None of those plastic gators harmed anyone, child or adult. It is just overreaction that would make anyone think that it was even temporarily necessary. Even with the Monorail tragedy, they didn't get rid of the Monorails. There have been bus accidents with fatal results, but, the buses kept running. Where was the uproar about that? It is simply not in the best interest of anyone to either attempt to pin the blame on inanimate objects or to think that any particular action will ease the, what must be godawful, emotions of that family. We really need to be grown ups and keep things in perspective. It was a sad, sad thing, yes, but, it also was caused by the fact that Florida's heritage includes Alligators. If we can't accept the concept of Alligators in our midst, perhaps we need to stay away from where they live or just be realistic and cautious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom