Changes at DTD

_Scar

Just so I don't have to read 11 pages of comments, what exactly is changing at DTD? Pleasure island gone or redone?

CaptainMichael

Is there a "first press release" link?

I can't say I'm suprised about the waterfront buildings. The existing buildings don't take advantage of the water views. I'm certain that will not be a repeated mistake in the new configurations.

The Village Lake waterfront is smelly. Every night behind the Adventurers Club when I'd make some calls between shows there would be a flock of birds crapping everywhere. The smell was unbearable. They lived in the cypress trees along the shore:hurl: Looking back on it, the phone calls weren't worth the smell...I should have spent that time in the club...hindsight *sigh*

Captain Chaos

The first press release (note that I mentioned staff changes) already came out. I don't know the timing of the next one. To answer the prior poster, demolition of buildings on the waterfront.

Wow.. Didn't see the press release.. Have a link to it so we can read it???

Demolition of the waterfront buildings huh??? Interesting... When is the demolition due to begin???

jt04

Wow.. Didn't see the press release.. Have a link to it so we can read it???

Demolition of the waterfront buildings huh??? Interesting... When is the demolition due to begin???

Imayoyo is reliable but I'm also searching for that press release.

IlikeDW

I think this is the release in question, its been discussed.

Imayoyo is reliable but I'm also searching for that press release.

The new vice president in charge of Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World is Kevin Lansberry, previously vice president of Downtown Disney, transportation, sports and golf operations. Lansberry, who has been with Disney since 1986, replaces Val Bunting, who is the new general manager of the Port Orleans resort. Lansberry's successor at Downtown Disney will be Keith Bradford, who had been vice president of operating participants. Bradford has been with Disney since 1995. In addition to taking the helm at the Animal Kingdom, Lansberry will continue overseeing transportation at Disney World.

luckyeye13

Lansberry's successor at Downtown Disney will be Keith Bradford, who had been vice president of operating participants.

This is just further proof of Disney's desire to completely hand Downtown Disney over to third parties and is definitely not encouraging for those who are unhappy about the diminishing Disney presence in that part of the property. (For those not familiar with the term, an operating participant is Disney-speak for a third party operator.)

jt04

This is just further proof of Disney's desire to completely hand Downtown Disney over to third parties and is definitely not encouraging for those who are unhappy about the diminishing Disney presence in that part of the property. (For those not familiar with the term, an operating participant is Disney-speak for a third party operator.)

This is not exactly what the OP said.

luckyeye13

This is not exactly what the OP said.

That's true, but that is one of the branches of discussion that has come up on this thread. The fact that the vice president in charge of dealing with third parties has been appointed as head of Downtown Disney seems to back up that view.

71jason

Confirming what seemed inevitable, Starbillas has closed. Windows have been papered over with "Celebrate" logos, and the standard "refurbished for your future enjoyment" sign on the door.

J.T. explaining how this, too, is pursuant to some master plan in 3...2...1... :)

jedimaster1227

Confirming what seemed inevitable, Starbillas has closed. Windows have been papered over with "Celebrate" logos, and the standard "refurbished for your future enjoyment" sign on the door.

J.T. explaining how this, too, is pursuant to some master plan in 3...2...1... :)

Items had been on sale for over two months now, so I can't say I'm surprised. One more operator dropped... One more building Disney has to scramble to fill. :rolleyes:

CaptainMichael

The irony of all the "Celebrate" banners around West Side and Pleasure Island really is just too much to handle.

Pleasure Island....Tonight?:(

jt04

Yay!

More space for operating participants or traveling museum shows!

This bold vision just keeps getting better!

I view Starbillas leaving as a positive step in the long run. I liked the shop, but would hope that Disney could do better. Or at least find a more compelling third party. I feel the same about VM and any other common experience you can have at Walmart or Target. Namely buying soon to be obsolete CD's :snore:.

These are all steps in the right direction. No pain, no gain.

And I'll say it again. Add an ESPNZone and the investors (third party vendors) will line up. Not saying that is what the OP is saying but I still believe the OP is right. We will know soon.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I view Starbillas leaving as a positive step in the long run. I liked the shop, but would hope that Disney could do better. Or at least find a more compelling third party. I feel the same about VM and any other common experience you can have at Walmart or Target. Namely buying soon to be obsolete CD's :snore:.

And I'll say it again. Add an ESPNZone and the investors (third party vendors) will line up. Not saying that is what the OP is saying but I still believe the OP is right. We will know soon.
All this spinning is making me dizzy:lol:

Missing20K

You pushing ESPNZone is getting as old as '74's Walmarting.....and even he hasn't posted anything about that in a while. I'll say it again, WDI could do much better than any ESPNZone, which in reality (not sure if you have ever been to one) really aren't that great. I can't see why third parties would line up just because there is an ESPNZone there. Third parties didn't line up for Virgin, DisneyQuest, Cirque, HoB, AC, et. al. Not too mention you would have to do something with the ESPN club at Boardwalk, I don't think they would want two ESPN branded "attractions."

71jason

Right, a store that offers one-of-a-kind collectables and a browser's paradise of rare books, movies and CDs won't pull guests, but the 784th store on property selling plush and HSM T-shirts will.

May shock you, but I actually agree, ESPNZone makes a lot of sense. Guests clearly want it (see the lines at the BW club), locals would keep it packed during the off-season, and it's a fairly unique expereince your local mall doesn't offer. Would have made a lot more sense when you could walk over to PI when the game started winding down, but still not a bad place to start.

But the fact they've let 6 building set empty for almost a year now doesn't fill me with confidence that Disney feels the need to build anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom