Changes at DTD

Lee

Adventurer
But who would replace them? Their thirty- and forty-something cronies who think Disney is just a stepping stone to a better job with HP or Microsoft?
Whatever. A gang of untrained, mentally challenged chimpanzees could do a better job.:fork:
It is just a building. The AC lives in the cast and the Adventurers that called the AC home.
Sounds good....but doesn't solve the problem.
Now, if they would just give us a new home...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I vote for a room full of highly trained squirrels.

Squirrel!!!!!!

up_doug.jpg

Sorry, tension breaker. Had to be done.....:)

IWant2GoNow

This news is really exciting. I just wonder what they have in store for the island. I hope it's something awesome because right now the only time we go to DTD is when we are doing last minute souvenier shopping. Oh, and to get chocolate covered strawberries. :slurp:

NoChesterHester

Finally!!!!! I've been lurking on these forums for about four years now... yes I know bad form... hoping for some announcement.

I have such wonderful memories of PI, but I was there toward the end to see what Disney had done to ruin it. I am very hopeful that the repurposing will erase some of my bad memories of the end of PI.

Very exciting! I'll be waiting for some more updates...

PKD

Interesting play on words. :animwink:

A proposed $3.6 million on lighting alone. That right there tells you they are putting a lot of effort into the transformation.

You caught that did you Raven :D

As others have mentioned, the permits are now filed for BET/AdvClub. Expect to see the RnR beach club/Motion demo permits soon as well. (if they are not already and just not found)

The east side walls are up to create the new walk ways/traffic flow for when the waterfront reopens.

WDWFigment

I think we are on step 2 of 3:

Step 1: Close down clubs
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit

No matter how many times I see this or write it myself, it never gets old. I wish I knew about this when I took Logic in college. Would've been a lot more fun than having to go over tautologies ad nauseam.

Overall, I view this as positive news. Sure, it's the final nail in the coffin for the AC on PI, but I don't think anyone rationally thought it was reopening in its present location at this point. At least now the area can finally move on, for better or worse.

From the sounds of the hints Raven and PDK are giving about lighting and opening up the waterfront, this could be a Paradise park type viewing area as per DCA coming to Downtown? Maybe we are getting a World of Color at Downtown and before you say that they wouldnt put it there for people to watch for free, i have just came back from D/L and all the fixed price dinning packages were sold out each night thats $37 per head no mattter if you eat all 3 courses, they could also put fast past kiosks in the parks so you have to have theme park tickets to view the show and finally once the show is over some of these people will stay in Downtown and spend more money in shops etc. Just my feelings on the rumours but having seen WOC It is a fantastic show and would really make a huge difference to Downtown at night.

jakeman

Overall, I view this as positive news. Sure, it's the final nail in the coffin for the AC on PI, but I don't think anyone rationally thought it was reopening in its present location at this point. At least now the area can finally move on, for better or worse.
I agree. Wisdom of the decision as a whole set aside, I think poor timing is what bit this project in the rear really hard.

It seemed obvious that they were looking for a minimal downtime and a quick turnaround and simply no one jumped on board since the economy was starting to head south at that point.

It's unfortunately that whatever replaces AC will never be given a fair shake by fans, but that is the way of the internet I suppose.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I agree. Wisdom of the decision as a whole set aside, I think poor timing is what bit this project in the rear really hard.

It seemed obvious that they were looking for a minimal downtime and a quick turnaround and simply no one jumped on board since the economy was starting to head south at that point.

It's unfortunately that whatever replaces AC will never be given a fair shake by fans, but that is the way of the internet I suppose.

Not unless WDW comes up with a new version of the AC, I'm afraid....

Yes.
That would be me.:wave:

No Adv Club...they can keep their stupid island.

I still say, fire them all and let them panhandle for food on 192. :fork:

I say they can keep it too. I'm not married with little ones, needing a shopping mall on Disney property to lug them around at and buy toys and eat food I can get elsewhere.

I see such variety amongst the guests at WDW, and yet I see they (TDO and WDI) are doing everything they can to pander to specific groups. Oh well, I'll continue to do what I've done since PI closed doors. For my evening/night entertainment, I will continue to go elsewhere. *shrugs*

vonpluto

So, taking into account the permits, construction underway and the demolition scuttlebut, the areas to be opened up and repurposed would look something like this after demo and before construction:

Picture-11.jpg

:shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
So, taking into account the permits, construction underway and the demolition scuttlebut, the areas to be opened up and repurposed would look something like this after demo and before construction:

Picture-11.jpg

:shrug:

Paradise Pier- WDW style?

Pioneer Hall

From the sounds of the hints Raven and PDK are giving about lighting and opening up the waterfront, this could be a Paradise park type viewing area as per DCA coming to Downtown? Maybe we are getting a World of Color at Downtown and before you say that they wouldnt put it there for people to watch for free, i have just came back from D/L and all the fixed price dinning packages were sold out each night thats $37 per head no mattter if you eat all 3 courses, they could also put fast past kiosks in the parks so you have to have theme park tickets to view the show and finally once the show is over some of these people will stay in Downtown and spend more money in shops etc. Just my feelings on the rumours but having seen WOC It is a fantastic show and would really make a huge difference to Downtown at night.

While this is a stretch, I actually see this as a good and potentially profitable scenario. This would absolutely PACK the area with people coming to dine and shop. It was also turn one of their least popular DVC resorts and turn it in to a sell out overnight. The remaining units would sell like lightning and all of a sudden you just started to rival the other resorts to help with availability. While it would be interesting to see something along these lines happen outside of a theme park...it would definitely be the bold new vision that we were promised.

With that, I won't hold my breath. 3.6 million dollars in lights just doesn't seem like it would cover what would be needed for this show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom