Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

T-1MILLION

Competition is competition, regardless of the quality....

Exactly, you are right on the money. Not a lot of theaters are equipted with mutliple Real D based digital projector screens. Tron will hurt because of Gulliver's travels. Movies that promote themselves mostly on 3D visuals suffer because of this kind of competition.

I don't hate the movie, but what it has brought in so far for the christmas week on such a hype level, considering the budget, time of release and inflation into account is not a fantastic haul.

_Scar

Sorry if this has already been addressed but Jeff Bridges having 2 movies competing directly with eachother at the same time is pretty awesome/hilarious.

ionbyte

I don't hate the movie, but what it has brought in so far for the christmas week on such a hype level, considering the budget, time of release and inflation into account is not a fantastic haul.

Like I said earlier, Tangled had a bigger budget (it's the 2nd most expensive film ever made) yet I don't see people calling it a flop. In fact, people have been saying it's a great success for Disney even when it's domestic haul has barely made half of it's budget back. Tron is expected to break $100 million by early this week (or even by the weekend). For only being out in theaters less than 10 days, I think that's way beyond decent. Also, the next big film release is the Green Hornet which won't come out until the 14th of January so Tron still has legs for 3 more week. Don't count it out just yet.

captainkidd

Like I said earlier, Tangled had a bigger budget (it's the 2nd most expensive film ever made) yet I don't see people calling it a flop. In fact, people have been saying it's a great success for Disney even when it's domestic haul has barely made half of it's budget back. Tron is expected to break $100 million by early this week (or even by the weekend). For only being out in theaters less than 10 days, I think that's way beyond decent. Also, the next big film release is the Green Hornet which won't come out until the 14th of January so Tron still has legs for 3 more week. Don't count it out just yet.

Tron's production budget was $175 million, and God only knows what the marketing budget budget was.

Why would you say Tron has "legs for 3 more weeks"? A movie having legs has nothing to do with when other movies are being released. It has to do with word of mouth, repeat viewings, and critical acclaim. Tron's missing 2 of those 3.

I love Superman, but I was able to admit "Superman Returns" was a box office disappointment, and that made $200 million in the US. However, give it's budget and marketing costs, it barely broke even worldwide.

SMRT-1

honestly, i hope they don't make an attraction out of it. i don't want them to ruin what is the most visually stunning film i have ever seen.

JimboJones123

Tron's production budget was $175 million, and God only knows what the marketing budget budget was.

Why would you say Tron has "legs for 3 more weeks"? A movie having legs has nothing to do with when other movies are being released. It has to do with word of mouth, repeat viewings, and critical acclaim. Tron's missing 2 of those 3.

I love Superman, but I was able to admit "Superman Returns" was a box office disappointment, and that made $200 million in the US. However, give it's budget and marketing costs, it barely broke even worldwide.

Which is false in this situation. There is no wide release for the next 12 days. Tron was meant to have 3 weeks of legs.

loveofamouse

To me Tron Legacy was a well executed movie that was misnamed. The Tron character was never well established enough to be the name sake of the movie.

Effectively, it would be as if Disney's movie about the 1980 Olympic Men's Hockey team was called "Finland" instead of "Miracle".

I have never seen the original Tron, and I don't feel that Tron's backstory was well established, nor do I think that the "Grand Reveal" of who Tron was mirrored after was understood by all. These are integral plot points that viewers were apparently supposed to know.

Honestly the original TRON movie didn't focus very much on the Tron character either. :shrug:

It's kinda like Mickey's PhilharMagic...his name is on the show, but you only see him for 30 seconds

I kinda figured it was named that because of the idea of the world of tron. On that note, ITA that Tron was not in the second one as much as I thought he would be. I was disappointed in that.

flavious27

honestly, i hope they don't make an attraction out of it. i don't want them to ruin what is the most visually stunning film i have ever seen.

they would only ruin it if they made an attraction with the same management team that approved the original theming of DCA.

Next Big Thing

I feel box office mojo said it best this week. For a niche, fanboy movie, it's doing extremely well so far and thinking it would have blockbuster type numbers is unreasonable. Should it do at least decent overseas (which is yet tbd), it should at least make back it's production budget. They'll likely make a ton of $$$ in merch and on the soundtrack (highest debuting movie soundtrack in 5 years).

So will it get an attraction? Who knows. Obviously there are tons of ideas floating around with Tron as a franchise and they are hopi g that this film will at least have gotten more people to know what it is to after 28 years. I think it was a solid film that I thoroughly enjoyed. The story wasnt explained as well as it could have been in some parts, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

lebeau

Just to put things in perspective, here's EW's weekly box office recap:

Viewers wanting to spend the holidays with a dysfunctional family other than their own helped secure Little Fockers the top spot. But even a significant boost on Christmas Day couldn’t keep the comedy from under-performing, pulling in $34 million over the weekend and taking its five-day cume up to $48 million. Not terrible numbers by any means, but definitely not as high as Universal was hoping. And with a B- CinemaScore rating, it is unlikely the threequel will end up coming close to the $279.3 million total gross of its predecessor, Meet the Fockers.

The real success story of the weekend was True Grit, which took a six-shooter to expectations and landed itself a nice No. 2 spot with $25.6 million. That’s nearly double the studio’s original estimate and marks the biggest opening ever for a Coen Bros. film, trampling Burn After Reading’s $19.1 million. It is also the biggest first weekend for a Western since 1999’s Wild Wild West. (It’s undoubtedly a more respectable entry in the genre than that wild wild mess, nabbing a B+ CinemaScore grade from audiences and, surprising considering the type of film it is, an A- from those under 25.) If nothing else, this blustery Christmas weekend showed that revenge, or at least a revenge-fueled Western, is a dish best served cold.

True Grit is followed by TRON: Legacy, which has by now downloaded about $88.3 million into Disney’s coffers. The digitized sequel will have to keep going strong if it hopes to stay in the black considering its sizable budget.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Yogi Bear round out the Top 5, showing that families looking for wholesome entertainment had no problem choosing something a few weeks old over the stale-on-delivery Gulliver’s Travels, which debuted at No. 7 with a Lilliputian $7.2 million. And in limited release, awards-buzz films did well. The King’s Speech, which experienced its first major expansion, received a quite eloquent $4.6 million in 700 theaters, giving it a $6,511 per-screen average.
1. Little Fockers: $34 mil
2. True Grit: $25.6 mil
3. TRON: Legacy: $20.1 mil
4. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: $10.8 mil
5. Yogi Bear: $8.8 mil

So, it's a hit. But not yet a confirmed Blockbuster. It's holding on a little better than I expected given the early reviews. The question is, will people see it twice? If so, it could sprout legs and clean up over the next few weeks. If not, Disney will still recoup on video. But the franchise may go dormant again.

captainkidd

Which is false in this situation. There is no wide release for the next 12 days. Tron was meant to have 3 weeks of legs.

Huh?

No movie is released with the studio hoping for "3 weeks of legs". It's all a crap shoot. I'm sure they knew it's first 3 weeks would be the bulk of business, but you always hope for longer legs than that. Avatar, Titanic, The Dark Knight - Those are movies that had legs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom