Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

yeti

MiceChat poster and supposed insider "Ummmmm, no" is maintaining that the Tron concept for Disneyland has yet to be shelved and is still up for its executive approval meeting in mid-January. Thought I would pass this along.

I'm not sure how much I trust him. People who claim to be an insider right after joining a forum tend not to end up being what they say they are. This guy, with his signature and the avatar meant to make us think he's You-Know-Who...it just reeks of this sort of thing.

flavious27

Uh oh!

Tron gains on Tuesday while Fockers and True Grit make $1 mil less!

Could Tron pull an upset and WIN this weekend?

It beat out True Grit on Tuesday!

We saw Narnia, and the theaters were packed! With the only crazy weather looking to be in the Rockies, Tron may even gain over last weekend!

tg won today, but tron still brought in another 6 mil, which is only a little over 1 mil less than LF. tron is putting up decent numbers each day, at this pace it should get to 170 in 2 weeks.

flavious27

Not quite.
It's at just under $70 million internationally. Worldwide it's sitting at about $168-169 million with another big holliday weekend coming up. Hopefully a weekend without any major blizzards to keep people at home.
Add in the merchandise sales up to this point and it's probably well on it's way to making back it's total production/marketing budget. DVD/Blu/PPV could possibly end up being pure profit.

well the international draw will cover the marketing budget. oh and tron hit 171 yesterday.

flavious27

True. But Cars sells extremely well. I have yet to hear of Tron merchandise selling anywhere near as well as Cars. Also, Cars is Lasetter's baby. That's gotta count for something too.

Cars and Toy Story are the only two Disney franchises that currently sell to boys. Tron isn't currently in their league. Maybe the cartoon will change that.

well a whole lot of el attire can change that.

flavious27

wednesday's numbers:

LF 7.7
TG 6.2
TR 6.1
YB 4.5
TA 3.7
DT 3.3
GT 3.1
BS 2.5
TF 2.4

So Narnia and Tangled are beating jack black.

redshoesrock

I had to look at IMDB to figure all these out:

LF 7.7 (Little Fockers)
TG 6.2 (True Grit)
TR 6.1 (Tron Legacy) (not "TL"??)
YB 4.5 (Yogi Bear)
TA 3.7 (Tangled)
DT 3.3 (Narnia: Dawn Treader)
GT 3.1 (Gulliver's Travels)
BS 2.5 (Black Swan)
TF 2.4 (The Fighter)

T-1MILLION

After 12 days, Tangled brought in $97 million on its $260 million budget, or 37%.

After 12 days, Tron brought in $100 million on its $170 million budget, or 58%.

But Tangled is concidered a Disney Success an Tron a Disney failure?!?!?!?

Even with a $100 marketing budget, don't think Tangled didn't spend at least $40 million or more.

This still puts Tron ahead in the Holiday Rat Race.

What the heck are you talking about? You quoted me and nowhere in there did I say they were failures, just not blockbuster hits. Not worthy of an attraction, that is what ths thread is about.

And for those wondering why cgi intensive films still cost so much...its not just the CGI. The 3D aspect, plus the IMAX cameras and the big name actors that the director and casting wanted.

Neither are gonna make the top ten movie releases of the year, and for how much they cost Disney was expecting more I gurantee you.

flavious27

I had to look at IMDB to figure all these out:

LF 7.7 (Little Fockers)
TG 6.2 (True Grit)
TR 6.1 (Tron Legacy) (not "TL"??)
YB 4.5 (Yogi Bear)
TA 3.7 (Tangled)
DT 3.3 (Narnia: Dawn Treader)
GT 3.1 (Gulliver's Travels)
BS 2.5 (Black Swan)
TF 2.4 (The Fighter)

sorry, after looking at boxofficemojo for the last 2 weeks, I have just gotten use to the abbreviations for the other movies.

flavious27

What the heck are you talking about? You quoted me and nowhere in there did I say they were failures, just not blockbuster hits. Not worthy of an attraction, that is what ths thread is about.

And for those wondering why cgi intensive films still cost so much...its not just the CGI. The 3D aspect, plus the IMAX cameras and the big name actors that the director and casting wanted.

Neither are gonna make the top ten movie releases of the year, and for how much they cost Disney was expecting more I gurantee you.

I thought that tangled cost more because they used cgi and then had the frames remade to look like traditional animation. I doubt that chuck and mandy moore demanded huge paychecks.

juan

I saw Tron a couple days ago and thought it was really fun and visually stunning.
I would not be opposed to having in the parks, especially if it were to bring it's visual appeal to the attraction.

Captain Chaos

I saw Tron a couple days ago and thought it was really fun and visually stunning.
I would not be opposed to having in the parks, especially if it were to bring it's visual appeal to the attraction.

I saw Tron the Monday after it opened... I felt the same way you do... The visuals were fantastic.. I even enjoyed the story, though I can understand how and why some people would find it flat... Then again, I loved Tron as a kid, grew up playing Tron video games, and now, as an adut, finding Tron once again... I hope an attraction is built.. One that would do the world of Tron justice...

I'm just not expecting TDO to greenlight a Tron attraction for WDW.. What, spend money for a ride that will have no choice but to be a Solid D, maybe even E ticket????

JimboJones123

I was just hoping to get a "What the heck are you talking about" -- so -- WIN!

JimboJones123

I saw Tron the Monday after it opened... I felt the same way you do... The visuals were fantastic.. I even enjoyed the story, though I can understand how and why some people would find it flat... Then again, I loved Tron as a kid, grew up playing Tron video games, and now, as an adut, finding Tron once again... I hope an attraction is built.. One that would do the world of Tron justice...

I'm just not expecting TDO to greenlight a Tron attraction for WDW.. What, spend money for a ride that will have no choice but to be a Solid D, maybe even E ticket????

I wonder if either of the new games contains the old Tron game?

Captain Chaos

I wonder if either of the new games contains the old Tron game?

I was thinking of picking up Evolution for PS3... but I haven't read too many glowing reviews... I may look for it used...

As for the old Tron game.. I remember one on the Intellevision game system... Think it's called Deadly Discs.. annoying, but I played it anyway... Here is a video of the game play:

Tron Deadly Discs

Then you had this game, Maze-A-Tron:

1093853821-00.jpg

And here is the game box for Deadly Discs:

disc-100.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom