Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

lebeau

Disney was trying to make a frachise -- just picked the wrong product to do so with.

I actually think it could have worked. It was a bit of a longshot. But if the execution had been better, it might have worked.

I have to wonder if they'd have been better off with a complete reboot rather than a sequel.

JimboJones123

The story of "The Big Ole Engine that Could" isn't any near as compelling.

The problem that Disney has been having -- across the board -- is manipulating public opinion instead of reacting to it.

TSM is the BIGEST HIT that the parks have seen, maybe since Splash Mountain. Reaction- Litlle Mermaid and doubling Dumbo capacity? Nothing innovative there.

Duffy Bear - your kids NEED this!

Pirates Training League? Um, boys don't like makeup.

The cruise ships may be the most solid product going right now. Hawaii next?

JimboJones123

I actually think it could have worked. It was a bit of a longshot. But if the execution had been better, it might have worked.

I have to wonder if they'd have been better off with a complete reboot rather than a sequel.

I think it has worked out about as good as it could have. It may still get to $200 yet. Without all the promotion and huge budget, this could have become Eragon.

lebeau

I think it has worked out about as good as it could have. It may still get to $200 yet. Without all the promotion and huge budget, this could have become Eragon.

True.

But I think if the execution had been better and they had started with a clean slate, they could have done better. Maybe not a blockbuster, but a more solid hit.

I think they over-estimated the appeal of the Tron concept (which has always been a small, devoted cult) and of 3-D (which was white hot a year ago and has cooled as it has become the norm rather than something special). As such, they over spent on promoting the thing.

If they had taken the time to develop a superior story, dropped the baggage of the original film and lowered their expectations (and marketing budget) they could have had a nice mid-sized franchise going.

Lee

Adventurer
Oh, and Tron passed $100 mil Tuesday.

Only another $70 million to go and it's made back it's production budget!!!

Not quite.
It's at just under $70 million internationally. Worldwide it's sitting at about $168-169 million with another big holliday weekend coming up. Hopefully a weekend without any major blizzards to keep people at home.
Add in the merchandise sales up to this point and it's probably well on it's way to making back it's total production/marketing budget. DVD/Blu/PPV could possibly end up being pure profit.

JimboJones123

Not quite.
It's at just under $70 million internationally. Worldwide it's sitting at about $168-169 million with another big holliday weekend coming up. Hopefully a weekend without any major blizzards to keep people at home.
Add in the merchandise sales up to this point and it's probably well on it's way to making back it's total production/marketing budget. DVD/Blu/PPV could possibly end up being pure profit.

I own the tshirt.

captainkidd

Not quite.

Merchandise sales? What merchandise?

With all due respect, there's a lot more to movies making money than you seem to realize. Do you think the studios get 100% of the cost of the ticket?

I would hope DVD would be pure profit. Most movies are. Any that aren't, are complete box office failures.

JimboJones123

True.

But I think if the execution had been better and they had started with a clean slate, they could have done better. Maybe not a blockbuster, but a more solid hit.

I think they over-estimated the appeal of the Tron concept (which has always been a small, devoted cult) and of 3-D (which was white hot a year ago and has cooled as it has become the norm rather than something special). As such, they over spent on promoting the thing.

If they had taken the time to develop a superior story, dropped the baggage of the original film and lowered their expectations (and marketing budget) they could have had a nice mid-sized franchise going.

It was insanity making a $170 mil Tron movie to begin with.

District 9 made a huge statement about how much money could be made with a budget film.

Ultimate Spider-Man will be the real test. Taking a $200 budget film franchise and slicing it to $70 million screams New Hollywood. The days of the $25 million actors may be drying up.

Disney is spending WAY too much on their films these days. 4-5 a year with a production budget of $150+ mil is really hurting them. Not that I am longing for more Tim Allen remakes of Dean Jones and Fres McMurry movies, but it would be nice if somebody would get things under control and produce some quality. Tangled was the first hit in house in years. Now they are distributing Gnomeo and Juliette under the Touchtone logo to distance it from the Disney logo, but they throw the Tiki Room music in the promos?!?!?!?!? Okay, I'm scattershooting now. Sorry.

SeaCastle

MiceChat poster and supposed insider "Ummmmm, no" is maintaining that the Tron concept for Disneyland has yet to be shelved and is still up for its executive approval meeting in mid-January. Thought I would pass this along.

Lee

Adventurer
Merchandise sales? What merchandise?
Toys, clothing, video games, books, etc. There is quite a bit out there, and I'm told it's selling fairly well.

With all due respect, there's a lot more to movies making money than you seem to realize. Do you think the studios get 100% of the cost of the ticket?
Of course not. :lol:
I am well aware of the wonders of Hollywood accounting.
Most important at this stage of Tron's life, is the diminishing percentage that will actually be going back to the studio. Within a couple weeks, the exhibitor's share will likely be equal to or a little more than the studio's.

Plus...Tron is going to start losing some of it's Imax or other premium screens. Losing that extra few dollars per ticket won't help it's finances at all.

MiceChat poster and supposed insider "Ummmmm, no" is maintaining that the Tron concept for Disneyland has yet to be shelved and is still up for its executive approval meeting in mid-January. Thought I would pass this along.
Yep. And I'm told it stands a fairly good chance of moving forward. It's potential future home being Tomorrowland helps its chances, since they have been looking for something to do over there. Tron, big box office hit or not, would be a perfect fit.
Biggest hurdle it has is expense.

SeaCastle

Yep. And I'm told it stands a fairly good chance of moving forward. It's potential future home being Tomorrowland helps its chances, since they have been looking for something to do over there. Tron, big box office hit or not, would be a perfect fit.
Biggest hurdle it has is expense.

The part confusing me is exactly what the Tron attraction would entail. Obviously, they want to shy away from the failed '98 makeover, but I'm wondering if the Tron concept going forward is the one that takes place on the PeopleMover tracks or not. Would the Tron addition mark a makeover for the whole land? Would the Astro Orbiter be moved back up to where the Observatron is?

mp2bill

Didn't have time to read all the replies, so my apologies if this is a duplicate, but WDW doesn't seem to make very many attractions out of live action movies, so I doubt they'd make one out of TRON.

One attraction I would like to see, though, is a National Treasure one. Maybe something like the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure, but based in Liberty Square, maybe making its way over to Tom Sawyer Island.

T-1MILLION

Merchandise selling fairly well does not really mean an attraction is justified.

While it is always what companies look for when approving an attraction, besides its initial draw they want lots of themed merchandise that people want to purchase.

But its a cult following, its going to sell well because there are people who are passionate. Not Star Wars, Harry Potter or Indiana Jones passionate, but a large enough group to know they can cheaply make merch and sell it. They have the rights to the property and they are gonna make money off it.

Let us all look at it this way since some people are not convinced this thing is just mediocre in the big picture to The Disney Company.

Prince Caspian. With international sales and home video it made its budget back and then some.

Yet, Disney has no interest in a film series that does that. If they spend near 200 million dollars to put a film out there on the market. They want at least double that back. Why Toy Story 3 is a HIT and Tron Legacy is not.

Crazy Harry

Of course a film can limp to 100 million dollars. Assume Tron has a 65% drop this coming weekend (it will)...Now you are at somewhere around 70 Million. Then over the next 4 or 5 weeks it slowly works its way to around 100 million where it stalls out. Barely recouping advertising costs. That is limping.

:hammer:

Tron's 12 day total is just over 100 million. Not what they wanted, but decent considering the genre and all of the obstacles it has been up against. 12 days to get to 100 million seems slow until you see some of the other films that took that long and had a good final domestic ie Shrek, and alvin and the chipmunks to name a few, so it can go either way at this point. I wouldn't be suprized at a 150 - 175 domestic.

While I was typing this, I thought of an interesting parellel between the future of the film series and the future of Tron the character. For those who have seen the movie, you should know what I mean...;)

JimboJones123

Merchandise selling fairly well does not really mean an attraction is justified.

While it is always what companies look for when approving an attraction, besides its initial draw they want lots of themed merchandise that people want to purchase.

But its a cult following, its going to sell well because there are people who are passionate. Not Star Wars, Harry Potter or Indiana Jones passionate, but a large enough group to know they can cheaply make merch and sell it. They have the rights to the property and they are gonna make money off it.

Let us all look at it this way since some people are not convinced this thing is just mediocre in the big picture to The Disney Company.

Prince Caspian. With international sales and home video it made its budget back and then some.

Yet, Disney has no interest in a film series that does that. If they spend near 200 million dollars to put a film out there on the market. They want at least double that back. Why Toy Story 3 is a HIT and Tron Legacy is not.

After 12 days, Tangled brought in $97 million on its $260 million budget, or 37%.

After 12 days, Tron brought in $100 million on its $170 million budget, or 58%.

But Tangled is concidered a Disney Success an Tron a Disney failure?!?!?!?

Even with a $100 marketing budget, don't think Tangled didn't spend at least $40 million or more.

This still puts Tron ahead in the Holiday Rat Race.

njDizFan

I didnt realize that Tron:Legacy is actually supposed to be the first of a new trilogy. I hope the film has box office legs to support the new ffilms. If this is true I could definately see an attraction in the future. We know how Iger loves his synergy.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Disney is spending WAY too much on their films these days. 4-5 a year with a production budget of $150+ mil is really hurting them. Not that I am longing for more Tim Allen remakes of Dean Jones and Fres McMurry movies, but it would be nice if somebody would get things under control and produce some quality. Tangled was the first hit in house in years. Now they are distributing Gnomeo and Juliette under the Touchtone logo to distance it from the Disney logo, but they throw the Tiki Room music in the promos?!?!?!?!? Okay, I'm scattershooting now. Sorry.

It's interesting. With all of the new computer technology these days, I'd expect that it would keep getting cheaper to make CGI intensive films.

I mean I've seen a friend show me a demo of a super high quality CGI short film...made with Blender...a FREE program.

lebeau

After 12 days, Tangled brought in $97 million on its $260 million budget, or 37%.

After 12 days, Tron brought in $100 million on its $170 million budget, or 58%.

But Tangled is concidered a Disney Success an Tron a Disney failure?!?!?!?

Even with a $100 marketing budget, don't think Tangled didn't spend at least $40 million or more.

This still puts Tron ahead in the Holiday Rat Race.

I don't think a Tangled attraction is all that likely either.

lebeau

Merchandise selling well is the main reason we still see the Cars characters in the parks.

True. But Cars sells extremely well. I have yet to hear of Tron merchandise selling anywhere near as well as Cars. Also, Cars is Lasetter's baby. That's gotta count for something too.

Cars and Toy Story are the only two Disney franchises that currently sell to boys. Tron isn't currently in their league. Maybe the cartoon will change that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom