News Celebrate Gospel!, Tale of the Lion King and more entertainment to return in 2022

SuddenStorm

My fear is that it's only for this weekend's broadcasts by ESPN for the Super Bowl, with the lagoon as its backdrop.

TDA no longer cares that tens of thousands of paying customers have to look at that mess every day for months on end, but when ESPN shows up to broadcast to its dwindling TV audience they suddenly remember where the switch is to lower the platforms. :rolleyes:

DLR-22_0211-C-DCAUpdates-0010.jpg

It's amazing to me how much world of color ruined the look at that area.

AJFireman

They did open up Troubadour Tavern for this event only. So if you need to get your Baked Potato fix it will once again be closed after next weekend.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
“Beginning May 28, 2022, Disneyland park will welcome “Tale of the Lion King” to its new home at the Fantasyland Theatre where this original, story-theatre adaptation of Disney’s “The Lion King” will be staged in an all-new presentation (as depicted in this artist rendering). At the heart of the production is a traveling troupe known as The Storytellers of the Pride Lands who weave the tale of how a cub becomes a king through dialogue, song, dance and percussion. From the scenic and costume designs to the new original musical arrangements and choreography, every aspect of “Tale of the Lion King” honors and is inspired by the cultural roots of this timeless story.

Also on May 28, Troubadour Tavern will return with new menu items inspired by the show.”

“Beginning June 1 and running through July 4, you’ll get to enjoy Celebrate Soulfully at Disney California Adventure park with daily live music celebrating Black music genres from Doo-Wop to Motown. Feel the nostalgia of Carthay Circle and enjoy Philly Phonics, an a cappella vocal group, performing snazzy, jazzy, tunes from the 1920s through today. Five & Dime will also stylishly sing and swing 1920s and ‘30s tunes with brass and sass!

In the evening, head to the Hollywood Backlot to enjoy the summer vibes of this special block party, featuring live musical acts seven nights a week.“

LittleMerman

“Beginning May 28, 2022, Disneyland park will welcome “Tale of the Lion King” to its new home at the Fantasyland Theatre where this original, story-theatre adaptation of Disney’s “The Lion King” will be staged in an all-new presentation (as depicted in this artist rendering). At the heart of the production is a traveling troupe known as The Storytellers of the Pride Lands who weave the tale of how a cub becomes a king through dialogue, song, dance and percussion. From the scenic and costume designs to the new original musical arrangements and choreography, every aspect of “Tale of the Lion King” honors and is inspired by the cultural roots of this timeless story.

Also on May 28, Troubadour Tavern will return with new menu items inspired by the show.”

“Beginning June 1 and running through July 4, you’ll get to enjoy Celebrate Soulfully at Disney California Adventure park with daily live music celebrating Black music genres from Doo-Wop to Motown. Feel the nostalgia of Carthay Circle and enjoy Philly Phonics, an a cappella vocal group, performing snazzy, jazzy, tunes from the 1920s through today. Five & Dime will also stylishly sing and swing 1920s and ‘30s tunes with brass and sass!

In the evening, head to the Hollywood Backlot to enjoy the summer vibes of this special block party, featuring live musical acts seven nights a week.“

Another Lion King show?

TsWade2

Once again, they should've made a new show similar to Mickey and the Magical Map. But again, a stage show is a stage show, so it's a better than nothing. I hope they have a new show for Fantasyland Theatre in development in the meantime..

Last edited:

waltography

Another Lion King show?
This is not a new show; it was originally the show in DCA's Paradise Park in 2019 as cross-promo for the live action. They're just reviving it in a new location.

I think it's a great show that hopefully can be further fleshed out now that it has more production capabilities to work with. The worst part about its DCA stint was how there was virtually no shade to watch the show in; moving it to this venue was a good decision overall I think, especially comparing the two stage renderings before and after.

1652124878349.png
1652124801806.png

el_super

Once again, they should've made a new show similar to Mickey and the Magical Map. But again, a stage show is a stage show, so it's a better than nothing. I hope they have a new show for Fantasyland Theatre in development in the meantime..

This is pretty subjective, but I generally disagree. I think their live entertainment offerings are stronger when they are focused on one property, and the shows centered around a paper thin excuse plot to do a revue show are getting too predictable and generic.

That said, yeah Lion King is pretty well traveled for a story... and I would love to see them do a full Encanto show or maybe even go back and do something with Tangled.

TsWade2

This is pretty subjective, but I generally disagree. I think their live entertainment offerings are stronger when they are focused on one property, and the shows centered around a paper thin excuse plot to do a revue show are getting too predictable and generic.

That said, yeah Lion King is pretty well traveled for a story... and I would love to see them do a full Encanto show or maybe even go back and do something with Tangled.
As much as I'm doing my best to respect your opinion, but with all due respect, IMO, I think they should've make a show similar to MATMM, but a different storyline, like maybe similar to Mickey and the Magician. I mean they did revues before like One Man's Dream and Animazement. If Disneyland wants to do a full movie property show like as you say, Encanto or Tangled, I would suggest they do it at the Hyperion Theatre at DCA. But, I'm afraid it's my opinion so I'm afraid my opinion is not worth from everybody. I hope I don't get obsessed about it like I did back at the 2006 to 2013.

el_super

As much as I'm doing my best to respect your opinion, but with all due respect, IMO, I think they should've make a show similar to MATMM, but a different storyline, like maybe similar to Mickey and the Magician.

Oh I know... it's all pretty subjective and up to each person's preferences. I wasn't really a fan of Mickey and the Magical Map though, and while they had some moments, it becomes pretty repetitive when the songs from each of these revue shows just end up being the same 'greatest hits' songs used over and over.

TsWade2

Oh I know... it's all pretty subjective and up to each person's preferences. I wasn't really a fan of Mickey and the Magical Map though, and while they had some moments, it becomes pretty repetitive when the songs from each of these revue shows just end up being the same 'greatest hits' songs used over and over.
Okay, but I just hope I don't get too obsessed or get my hopes up if that happens.

LittleMerman

This is not a new show; it was originally the show in DCA's Paradise Park in 2019 as cross-promo for the live action. They're just reviving it in a new location.

I think it's a great show that hopefully can be further fleshed out now that it has more production capabilities to work with. The worst part about its DCA stint was how there was virtually no shade to watch the show in; moving it to this venue was a good decision overall I think, especially comparing the two stage renderings before and after.

View attachment 637745View attachment 637743
I see. I love The Lion King and I welcome any stage shows (I love Festival of TLK at AK and I've seen the Broadway show twice) it just didn't seem as exciting as a different IP that hasn't had a stage show but I didn't realize this is a revival!

Emmanuel

What happen to the Toy Story going into the Hyperion Theater?

Originally supposed to replace Aladdin but those plans fell through and Aladdin ended up running for almost 6 more years until being replaced by Frozen. Now who knows what will go in there next. I highly doubt Toy Story will finally move in there now. Theres enough Pixar in DCA as it is.

Disney Analyst

It looks like they’ve really done a great job expanding on this from the DCA version!

Some great photos here:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom