News Celebrate Gospel!, Tale of the Lion King and more entertainment to return in 2022

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
“We’re thrilled to announce that even more entertainment will be returning to the Disneyland Resort in 2022! An expanded “Celebrate Gospel!” musical celebration will come to Disneyland park in February, and this spring, “Tale of the Lion King” will return, but this time to the Fantasyland Theater at Disneyland park. Plus, cherished nighttime spectaculars will return this spring to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Read a bit more about each, below!”

jrhwdw

“We’re thrilled to announce that even more entertainment will be returning to the Disneyland Resort in 2022! An expanded “Celebrate Gospel!” musical celebration will come to Disneyland park in February, and this spring, “Tale of the Lion King” will return, but this time to the Fantasyland Theater at Disneyland park. Plus, cherished nighttime spectaculars will return this spring to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Read a bit more about each, below!”

Sounds like Kiss Goodnight is returning after DL Forever?? It didn't in 2019, I hope it does! DLR Looks Fantastic next Spring! Wish we could get TDO to that level........

mickEblu

Don't disagree... best show (but bring back the full show dammit).

BUT

I am happy a full show is coming and not Mix Magic....

For sure. A trillion times better than Mix Magic. For the most part, fireworks are just my background music to the short line I’m walking to.

wtyy21

DLF was a firework show that inspired Enchantment more than HEA was, at least their story was not celebrating their park anniversaries (50th for DE, and 60th for DLF)

I thought it was interesting to see how DLF removed the mention of "60 years ago" and replace it with "since 1955" similar to post-2006 RDCT does giving DL turns more than 60 years old. However, it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Emmanuel

I was wondering what was going on at the Fantasyland Theatre last Saturday. The theater itself is walled off to block views into the theater as they're working on the stage. Previously you could've still see the empty theater in plain sight when the park reopened back in April.

TP2000

I dare say the DLR has a better entertainment line up for its 67th anniversary than WDW does for its 50th. Fine by me though.

No kidding.

I know the fireworks and Lion King show is popular, but I got excited when I read that the Celebrate Gospel event was returning to DCA! I just happened upon it about four years ago, and then made a point of returning to see it again the next year. It's fabulous! And as a non-church-going white guy in OC, it's rare (or, more accurately, impossible) to be able to see Black gospel choirs from all the big LA churches perform.

My only hope is that they finally removed the Frozen sets from inside that DCA stucco warehouse that they hold Celebrate Gospel in. As a Swede and a naturally snarky person, I loved the silly cultural clash of African-Americans singing Southern Gospel in a Scandinavian village snowscape.

But if I was one of the Black folks performing in this wonderful event, I would probably prefer something more neutral to sing amongst, rather than a snowy Scandinavian setting. 🤣

akjsd8301.png

At least TDO/WDW will always have Kite Tails.

I think it's okay if WDW always has one or two things us West Coasters can be jealous of. Right now, they've got Carousel of Progress and KiteTails. Let 'em have their fun.

Emmanuel

My only hope is that they finally removed the Frozen sets from inside that DCA stucco warehouse that they hold Celebrate Gospel in.

akjsd8301.png

As a matter of fact they did. The space is now a giant store for Marvel stuff. Previously was another store for random Disney stuff when DCA was partially part of Downtown Disney last year.

TP2000

As a matter of fact they did. The space is now a giant store for Marvel stuff. Previously was another store for random Disney stuff when DCA was partially part of Downtown Disney last year.

Oh, yeah, you're right! They turned it into that big store last Christmas when Disneyland was still closed.

It was just a giant empty box inside when they re-opened it as a store. All the Frozen stuff was finally gone. Phew!

Disney Analyst

Oh, yeah, you're right! They turned it into that big store last Christmas when Disneyland was still closed.

It was just a giant empty box inside when they re-opened it as a store. All the Frozen stuff was finally gone. Phew!

They will actually be doing it in the Fantasyland Theatre now, so no Gospel in DCA.

"Disneyland Resort will celebrate the soulful spirit of Gospel music with the return of “Celebrate Gospel!” In 2022, “Celebrate Gospel!” will expand and feature live choir performances, each sharing its own distinctive style and inspiration. This powerful event moves to the Fantasyland Theater at Disneyland park where guests will be able to enjoy uplifting choir performances on select days during the month of February."

mickEblu

They will actually be doing it in the Fantasyland Theatre now, so no Gospel in DCA.

"Disneyland Resort will celebrate the soulful spirit of Gospel music with the return of “Celebrate Gospel!” In 2022, “Celebrate Gospel!” will expand and feature live choir performances, each sharing its own distinctive style and inspiration. This powerful event moves to the Fantasyland Theater at Disneyland park where guests will be able to enjoy uplifting choir performances on select days during the month of February."

I’ve been to Pastor Noel Jones’ church so they better bring it!

Figments Friend

This is good to hear.
Disneyland has often had some excellent entertainment options, and live entertainment is such a important part of the expereince.
Hearing of more options returning is great news.

But @TP2000 , what's this crazy talk you speak of about West Coasters being 'jealous' of WDW's KiteTails...?
Explain.
Carousel of Progress, yes, and rightly so.
But....KiteTails?

🤔

Educate me as only your glorious words can.

-

Centauri Space Station

This is good to hear.
Disneyland has often had some excellent entertainment options, and live entertainment is such a important part of the expereince.

But @TP2000 , what's this crazy talk you speak of about West Coasters being 'jealous' of WDW's KiteTails...?
Explain.
But....KiteTails?

🤔

-
He was kidding

TP2000

This is good to hear.

Explain.
But....KiteTails?

🤔

-

I'm a big believer in "Disney eras"; where we look back on certain eras in the history of the parks and reflect on how those eras played out and what they offered. The Walt Era, of course. The Ron Miller 70's Era, the Good Eisner 80's Era, the Bad Eisner 90's Era, the Paul Pressler Era (disaster movie edition!), the Matt Ouimet Rebirth Era, etc.

We have entered into an era right now that was already tragic and weird before Covid hit and closed Disneyland for 14 months; Star Wars Land Immersion From Churro Salesmen Instead Of Professional Entertainers, Star Wars Land Flopping At Disneyland With No Crowds, Pixar Pier, Galactic Starcruiser Underwhelming, Disney Stores Replaced By Junky Aisles At Target, etc., etc. Covid only intensified what was already happening.

It's the Bob Chapek Era, and we're all living the nightmare.

KiteTails is not just an example of this era, it's the crystal-clear living embodiment of this era. It's cheap. It's half-baked. It's underfunded. It's confusing. It breaks every Showmanship rule that Disney created for itself and used to brag about. It literally crashes and burns right into the laps of the paying audience. Six times per day.

KiteTails is perfection. It's the perfect embodiment of The Chapek Era, and it's something we'll look back at and try to explain to people in the future and no one will believe us. Thank God we have endless crowd-sourced HD footage of it to prove it actually happened. (It's a shame we had such crappy tourist cameras in '97 to capture Light Magic, as Light Magic was Paul Pressler personified.)

KiteTails is Bob Chapek personified. I'm jealous that to experience the depths of this current era we have to go to Florida to earn the badge of seeing it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom