News Celebrate Gospel!, Tale of the Lion King and more entertainment to return in 2022

PiratesMansion

I'm going to be surprised if they actually end this show so soon considering they did seemingly modify the stage/remove all of Map's infrastructure for it. I still haven't even seen it yet. Of course, I haven't seen the returned Main Street Electrical Parade with the new float yet either. Guess I'd better hurry up.

I wonder if it didn't pull in the crowds like Map did? I always thought it was too small a show for this venue.
It seemed like a full house during the performance I attended.

Emmanuel

TOLKs been having frequent cancellations. Twice now its cancelled on me.

That being said theres nothing I heard about the show getting the plug. I'll keep checking the calendar leading up to the 27th but this has happened with Map and Frozen where its showtimes on its usual days didnt show up but later got added in.

PiratesMansion

TOLKs been having frequent cancellations. Twice now its cancelled on me.

That being said theres nothing I heard about the show getting the plug. I'll keep checking the calendar leading up to the 27th but this has happened with Map and Frozen where its showtimes on its usual days didnt show up but later got added in.
Now that you mention it, I actually had to come back to the last performance because the one I was originally going to see got cancelled. I wonder what's going on.

Emmanuel

Now that you mention it, I actually had to come back to the last performance because the one I was originally going to see got cancelled. I wonder what's going on.

Compared to Magical Map in its first year, its been facing a lot of canceled shows in just 3 months.

On the subject of the show after August 27th, the show is scheduled past August 27th but only up to September 3rd.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 1.49.13 AM.png

This happens a lot with the entertainment calendar on the website. Some shows that should be on a certain day doesn't show up on the calendar but the show and its showtimes gets later added. This has been going on for years. And no, MC wasn't the only one that had it wrong. Others saw it wasn't scheduled past Aug 27th either and made the same assumptions.

If a show doesn't show up on a certain day on the calendar and it hasn't been confirmed one way or another to be closing, just check the calendar later.

Emmanuel

Micechat reports that Tale of the Lion King has an "Open ended run" and that new cast members for the show are being hired and will soon go through the rehearsal process. I also stumbled upon a twitter post from someone that announced that he joined the cast 3 days ago. Open ended run in Broadway terms means that a show will continue to run as long as its selling tickets and drawing interest. For a theme park show, it can mean that it will run until Disney decides to replace the show with something else regardless of popularity of the show (IE Aladdin a Musical Spectacular being replaced with Frozen Live at the Hyperion despite being a local favorite)

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.11.39 AM.png

TsWade2

Micechat reports that Tale of the Lion King has an "Open ended run" and that new cast members for the show are being hired and will soon go through the rehearsal process. I also stumbled upon a twitter post from someone that announced that he joined the cast 3 days ago. Open ended run in Broadway terms means that a show will continue to run as long as its selling tickets and drawing interest. For a theme park show, it can mean that it will run until Disney decides to replace the show with something else regardless of popularity of the show (IE Aladdin a Musical Spectacular being replaced with Frozen Live at the Hyperion despite being a local favorite)

View attachment 662077
Huh, I guess Micechat is wrong. Oh well, you know how Micechat is.;)

Emmanuel

Huh, I guess Micechat is wrong. Oh well, you know how Micechat is.;)

To be fair, they weren't the only ones to think that and they did mention that the show had not been mentioned as a "short-term" offering as it had been in 2019 when it was at DCA so the show not being scheduled past the 27th (and now its scheduled till at least Sept 3rd) without any mention of it ending did lead to some questions.

I saw TOLK schedule mysteriously gone after the 27th before sites like Micechat reported it but I held off mentioning it on here because this happens frequently on their entertainment schedule on their website with most of the shows where its not scheduled on a day that it usually is, only to be added on later.

So if you don't see a show on the calendar on a day that its usually on weeks in advance (Calendar goes 60 days out), simply check back later. It'll eventually get added on there.

Dear Prudence

This is such a beautiful show that it beautifully performed, especially the singing. I think it's the best show I've ever seen there. I hope it stays for a long time, it's so special. DISNEY, DON'T DO THIS TO MEEEEEE.

TsWade2

Well, I agree, it is a very interesting show, it really is. But, I was hoping one day Disneyland will make a new show for Fantasyland Theatre similar to Mickey and the Magical Map. But, I guess it's going to be awhile, unless, they announce that on D23 Expo. We'll see. In the meantime, ATOLK will stay, as long as it's a stage show and not a festival like Princess Fantasy Faire.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Oh dear! I have to warn you guys. I'm afraid I'm a little bit of the obsession of hoping a new show similar to MATMM for Fantasyland Theatre. This is going to be torture, but I'm going to try to control it. Of course, it could wait a year like probably until WDAS's new animated movie musical called Wish that will release in movie theaters next year.

PiratesMansion

The show abruptly had a performance cancelled the day I went to see it, and I get the impression it's not as rare as it should be.

Not sure why-while it's a good show and the cast is talented, there's nothing obvious I can see that would be responsible for the cancellations.

It certainly wasn't because there weren't enough people waiting to watch the performance. There were plenty lined up when the show was cancelled.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Anyone no why the show is down? The stage has been cleared and there are no shows this week. Not sure if this was scheduled or not.

Staffing challenges, according to Disney.

"We received an update from a Disneyland official, stating that performances of Tale of the Lion King are paused temporarily due to staffing challenges, but the Resort hopes to bring the show back soon."

There are current casting calls out for the show.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 3.58.02 PM.png

Disney Analyst

Staffing challenges could mean something as basic as they’ve had a lot of sick calls, can’t run the show, and don’t have enough backup casts rehearsed.

Maybe they were doing fine with the amount hired and rehearsed, and suddenly it hit a breaking point before they had more cast hired? Maybe a bunch of people quit?

Everyone is having staffing issues, and it’s simply random online conjecture to assert on here that it’s solely because they are seeking an all black cast.

TP2000

Staffing challenges could mean something as basic as they’ve had a lot of sick calls, can’t run the show, and don’t have enough backup casts rehearsed.

How long has this show been closed, and how long until it reopens? A summer head cold only lasts so long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom