Castle Refurb in DL paris

Markiewong

Spiderman replaced Armageddon, yes it’s a new build but no net gain in attraction numbers.
Okay I know that technically we are not gaining a new attraction, but Armageddon was such a big skip that replacing it with Spiderman does give an additional attraction in reality.

wdrive

Okay I know that technically we are not gaining a new attraction, but Armageddon was such a big skip that replacing it with Spiderman does give an additional attraction in reality.

Well, no it doesn’t.

I do get your point, Spiderman will undoubtedly be more popular than Armageddon. But in a park that was regularly criticised for not having enough to do, the end result if (and that’s a big if) everything is still going to plan is 1 more attraction than before.

However many billion they’re spending on it seems a lot for 1 more thing to do than before.

cjkeating

It's a bit like what happened with DHS? What did we lose for TSL and GE? Backlot Tour, LMA, 2 theatres, HIT playground, Streets of America/Osborne Lights. Possibly more I can't remember.

Sir_Cliff

Very happy to see so much care going into the restoration of the castle.

DLP seems to be getting a particularly high level of care these days in returning to the original intention of elevating the Magic Kingdom parks to sit amongst the real places that inspired a lot of Disney's classic films. Interesting to know if this is because Disney back in the US has a renewed commitment to the resort, or if the local management is just doing a particularly good job.

cjkeating

Very happy to see so much care going into the restoration of the castle.

DLP seems to be getting a particularly high level of care these days in returning to the original intention of elevating the Magic Kingdom parks to sit amongst the real places that inspired a lot of Disney's classic films. Interesting to know if this is because Disney back in the US has a renewed commitment to the resort, or if the local management is just doing a particularly good job.
I think the money certainly helps however this 'Experience Enhancement Plan' started years before the takeover.

To be honest (and I hope Bob doesn't read this) I've been surprised how DLP has been managing to do these restorations and many other projects when it seems so far out of line with how the US parks are being treated.

Sir_Cliff

To be honest (and I hope Bob doesn't read this) I've been surprised how DLP has been managing to do these restorations and many other projects when it seems so far out of line with how the US parks are being treated.
I feel the same way, and also don't want to draw too much attention to it lest someone in the US notices! It's hard to believe the parks are run by the same company.

As an example, at Epcot right now they have installed permanently exposed industrial hardware for a nighttime show right in the middle of the park and down the road have given Cinderella castle a hideous salmon and gold paint job. Meanwhile at DLP, they have employed craftspeople who restore historic French buildings that are hundreds of years old to give the same quality to the slates on the turrets of their castle.

Last edited:

coruscant

I agree! The people involved in this project are known for their work so I think we can only expect an amazing job. Having said that, let's see the final colours they are going to choose. So far from the pictures, it looks like it's going to be similar to the last colour scheme but you never know... I wish they would bring the salmon colours from the opening times. Now that even Orlando has a pink castle (what a sunburn poor castle) it would be nice to see another colour being used on this castle for a change.

Indy_UK

I think the money certainly helps however this 'Experience Enhancement Plan' started years before the takeover.

probably in exchange for Disneyland park not getting any new attractions

LondonTom

I think to an extent it might be something to do with better support from the Frecnh Govt (Especially on the CM side of things by being able to properly furlough than quite as many layoffs).

I guess it was already working to a lower budget anyway so that likely helped.

cjkeating

probably in exchange for Disneyland park not getting any new attractions
My view is that Disneyland Park has been saved by WDSP being in such a state. We've avoided unnecessary modern IP being shoe-horned into it for the most part. No Star Wars Land or Marvel Land in Discoveryland, no Toy Story Land behind Fantasyland etc. The only real problem is Buzz Lightyear which I just accept now. And thankfully HSM won't be around forever.

I know Marni has said the treatment for having Runaway Railway in Fantasyland was acceptable however I still don't feel like that ride fits in Disneyland Park and would be better in WDSP. Whilst I don't like Indiana Jones Adventure (shock) I'm still holding out for something like that in Adventureland or my personal preference a Moana Splash Mountain.

Toni25

My view is that Disneyland Park has been saved by WDSP being in such a state. We've avoided unnecessary modern IP being shoe-horned into it for the most part. No Star Wars Land or Marvel Land in Discoveryland, no Toy Story Land behind Fantasyland etc. The only real problem is Buzz Lightyear which I just accept now. And thankfully HSM won't be around forever.

I know Marni has said the treatment for having Runaway Railway in Fantasyland was acceptable however I still don't feel like that ride fits in Disneyland Park and would be better in WDSP. Whilst I don't like Indiana Jones Adventure (shock) I'm still holding out for something like that in Adventureland or my personal preference a Moana Splash Mountain.
I am expecting an Adventureland expansion as well (that is, WHEN the main park will actually get a new attraction), it feels like it needs it the most.
I have said this before somewhere on the threads, I can't see why they wouldn't go for a multiple I.P. type of ride, wouldn't that be such a commercial hit?
We know there is no Jungle Cruise....they had the idea of creating an interior Jeep ride in the past....why not make a Jungle Safari with a jeep?
They could integrate & EXTEND the Indiana Jones coaster into this as well.
The journey could take you through the jungles of India (Jungle Book), Africa (Lion King) and South America (Up or Indiana Jones?). The ride could integrate aspects of Jungle Cruise AND Indiana Jones Adventure...the project is ambitious, put makes so much sense, it's the perfect mix of recycled ideas and new ones to make something original that FITS there.
There is enough space there and even beyond the train tracks.
Judging from the way things are evolving with the parks, I trust their process, I believe cheap overlays and unfitting IPs might be a thing of the past (hopefully).
The next addition to DLP HAS to be epic, they invest in the park so much, it could become the main park with the best line up (from many aspects, in my opinion, it already is the best magic kingdom park).

Toni25

An update on the backstage work for the castle.

I always appreciated how HEAVILY Disneyland Paris is invested in the main park, with using the highest quality materials, amazing storytelling for the lands, incredible landscaping. Heck, they even got teams of artists walking in the park and randomly refurbishing little things. I don't think that feature is present in any other park?

We all know it lacks some rides, but they will get there in the future. It has the best version of Space Mountain, the best version of classic Pirates, the best version of It's a Small World, the best version of Big Thunder Mountain, an amazing/original take on the Haunted Mansion. The upkeep is impeccable. Nothing about the park was cheaply made.
It's so underrated and doesn't get enough love, appreciation and the recognition it deserves!

I am hesitant to say this because the Americans will get mad...but it paid homage to the original California park, yet somehow managed to EXCEED it. It has the original fairytale charm, old nostalgia infused classic rides that are almost of museum quality (it serves as cultural reference), yet also innovation and creativity in certain aspects and fun new features (it's not just a copy of another park).

I am so glad they are taking the steps to market the QUALITY & attention to detail that they offer.
I'm hoping they'll make a Disney+ special episode some day about it and not just focus on the lack of rides and Eurofailure it once was.

There is so much expansion space and potential and I trust that one day they'll exploit that.
Once they add rides & do something about the ty FOOD and SERVICES, it'll undoubtedly be the best Magic Kingdom park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am expecting an Adventureland expansion as well (that is, WHEN the main park will actually get a new attraction), it feels like it needs it the most.
I have said this before somewhere on the threads, I can't see why they wouldn't go for a multiple I.P. type of ride, wouldn't that be such a commercial hit?
We know there is no Jungle Cruise....they had the idea of creating an interior Jeep ride in the past....why not make a Jungle Safari with a jeep?
They could integrate & EXTEND the Indiana Jones coaster into this as well.
The journey could take you through the jungles of India (Jungle Book), Africa (Lion King) and South America (Up or Indiana Jones?). The ride could integrate aspects of Jungle Cruise AND Indiana Jones Adventure...the project is ambitious, put makes so much sense, it's the perfect mix of recycled ideas and new ones to make something original that FITS there.
That’s the original plan for the area. The Indy EMV evolved from that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom