Castle Ramp Smoking Section Eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

photomatt

I'm only familiar with the Magic Kingdom at the moment. I've agreed with you that the areas they choose aren't the best spots. But there was a spot by Space Mountain that was tucked away. Very away. And there's a spot by Big Thunder. It's not as far off the path but it's still out of the way.

I disagree with them having one on that path from Barnstormer to Tomorrowland. That's dumb. I also don't agree with moving the Adventureland one to the entrance area. That was dumb too. Although where it was before was even more dumb.

Get mad at Disney for having smoking sections right in everyone else's face. If Disney offers them, smokers have every right to use them.

I see the smoking issue from both sides.

I agree that smokers have a right to use a designated smoking spot, if it's provided. My argument is that there should not be any because there are no places where the smoke won't travel to other areas, and there's no places where it's fair to say that a non-smoker should have to avoid.

photomatt

I think I can clear this up pretty easily. If Disney made an enclosed space, or spaces, where smokers could smoke, and the smoke would not travel to other areas then this would be a non-issue. There would be no reason to argue against this - at all.

Kman101

I agree that smokers have a right to use a designated smoking spot, if it's provided. My argument is that there should not be any because there are no places where the smoke won't travel to other areas, and there's no places where it's fair to say that a non-smoker should have to avoid.

I get where you're coming from. I do. TBH, I'm surprised Disney still has smoking spots (and personally when I smoked, I could easily go without one in the park, but that's me). Even many businesses don't want you smoking near their business if you work for them and are on a break. You couldn't even smoke in your car. I think sometimes that's pushing it a bit too far. But they have every right to ban it. I just think there's such a fine line here. It's tough.

Smoking has been around for a very long time and while inroads have been made, it's not going away anytime soon. They also likely offer smoking spots for foreign travelers who will smoke and will smoke wherever they want if there aren't designated spots. So, if Disney got rid of the spots, you can bet many wouldn't care and smoke where and when they want. I'd rather compromise and have designated areas that you CAN avoid. You're treating it as if the entire park is in a cloud of cigarette smoke.

EDIT: I for one would love, as a former smoker (on again/off again .. I know ...), an enclosed air conditioned spot to light up.

I, as a smoker/non-smoker, am VERY self conscience about it. I know that I personally try to be respectful. Disney actually doesn't make it easy to be.

photomatt

Please allow me to give two examples of why I am so strongly against smoking areas - specifically at the MK.

First, there is a smoking area along the train tracks in Tomorrowland. It certainly is an out-of-the-way area, so it should not be an issue to allow people to smoke there - especially when you consider the Autopia exhaust. The problem is that TTA is one of my favorite rides, and every time I ride it I am bombarded by the smoke when I enter and exit Space Mountain.

Second, there is a smoking area near the entrance to Adventureland. The smoke can not be avoided by anyone who enters the area, and it easily travels into Liberty Square and part of the hub.

The problem is that the smoke in the smoking area does not stay in the smoking area. It travels and lingers, and it's incredibly annoying and uncomfortable to people who have sensitivities to smoke.

betty rose

Attitude? You mean stating a clear opinion on a subject? That's attitude?

This discussion should not be happening in 2015. It should be a non-issue. Disney should have had the political courage to ban smoking at Disney parks years ago.
Think about your statement...do you want to go back to times when believing the wrong thing or being the wrong race, might get you banned? I lived through the 60's, and judging people to harshly for their choices, or as in race is something we should discourage...as none of us knows when we will be on the "wrong side" of the political spectrum.....

photomatt

Think about your statement...do you want to go back to times when believing the wrong thing or being the wrong race, might get you banned? I lived through the 60's, and judging people to harshly for their choices, or as in race is something we should discourage...as none of us knows when we will be on the "wrong side" of the political spectrum.....

I have said that I don't judge smokers. I have said that they should be free to smoke in their own homes or their own property. I wouldn't have a problem if they smoked in public, if there was a way for me to avoid breathing it. The problem is that smoke travels. It doesn't just stay around the smoker, it fills an entire area and it lingers.

I do believe that many, but not all, of people who smoke today are bitter about their choice. When they are asked not to smoke, or are questioned about their choice, they retaliate. That has happened in this thread. I knew it would happen, because it happens in every thread that discusses the subject.

Kman101

Please allow me to give two examples of why I am so strongly against smoking areas - specifically at the MK.

First, there is a smoking area along the train tracks in Tomorrowland. It certainly is an out-of-the-way area, so it should not be an issue to allow people to smoke there - especially when you consider the Autopia exhaust. The problem is that TTA is one of my favorite rides, and every time I ride it I am bombarded by the smoke when I enter and exit Space Mountain.

Second, there is a smoking area near the entrance to Adventureland. The smoke can not be avoided by anyone who enters the area, and it easily travels into Liberty Square and part of the hub.

The problem is that the smoke in the smoking area does not stay in the smoking area. It travels and lingers, and it's incredibly annoying and uncomfortable to people who have sensitivities to smoke.

Again, as a smoker and also as a non smoker, the TTA is my favorite ride but I never smell cigarette smoke wafting up.

I honestly think you're exaggerating here (probably not with the Adventureland one).

And while there is a chance I just don't smell it because of my habit, that's just not the case. That smoking area is far enough away.

photomatt

Again, as a smoker and also as a non smoker, the TTA is my favorite ride but I never smell cigarette smoke wafting up.

I honestly think you're exaggerating here (probably not with the Adventureland one).

And while there is a chance I just don't smell it because of my habit, that's just not the case. That smoking area is far enough away.

I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not. The smoke is brief, but concentrated. It's enough to detract from my enjoyment of the ride and post about it here. It is possible that a vent is drawing the smoke in and it exhausts at the exit and entrance to Space Mountain as you ride TTA. That is where it is noticeable.

Last edited:

betty rose

Well, I'm 5'2" and 125 lbs. but, I have to say that if you take something out of my hand, we're going to fight right there and then!
When it comes to smoking, I do have strong opinions. My opinions are based on facts, as well as personal feelings. The fact that you don't like or agree with this does nothing to weaken my arguments.

If you want to smoke in your own house then go ahead, but if you want to go out in public then you should be considerate enough to not smoke.
I have asthma, and I just use my inhaler, or choose to go another way. No big problem .

Kman101

I wish I was exaggerating, but I am not. The smoke is brief, but concentrated. It's enough to detract from my enjoyment of the ride and post about it here. It is possible that a vent is drawing the smoke in and it exhausts at the exit and entrance to Space Mountain.

Hm. That does suck. It does. I'm sorry that happens. I guess right now I'm immune to that smell, but I also haven't gone anywhere near the entrance to Space Mountain in quite a while ... I think I misunderstood

photomatt

I have asthma, and I just use my inhaler, or choose to go another way. No big problem .
OK. I understand this, but I have to ask "why?" Why do you have to use your inhaler or go somewhere else to accommodate the actions of the minority? You should not have to do this. The minority should change their behavior, not the majority.

betty rose

The simple solution is to have out of the way areas designated for smokers that are clearly marked with signs. This way non-smokers would not be impacted in any way unless they intentionally walk into a smoking area. Then it's on them.
I agree, we all need to take our own responsibility for each situation.

sulld58

I used to be a smoker and a considerate one. I think most smokers are considerate of other people. Sure, there are those who are just inconsiderate of others, not just with cigarettes, but in general. I have problems with people using foul language, but I don't put my hand over their mouths and glare at them either.

betty rose

OK. I understand this, but I have to ask "why?" Why do you have to use your inhaler or go somewhere else to accommodate the actions of the minority? You should not have to do this. The minority should change their behavior, not the majority.
Because I love Disney, as do smokers....and they have a right to be there....I was a girl scout, and we learned to be prepared.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom