Casey's Corner closing for lengthy refurbishment in the new year

Bolt

I agree, and I believe it's the by-product of the skyrocketing prices. Disney World is an insanely expensive place now, so people feel compelled to get every ounce of whatever it is they feel they've bought in while they're there. I've witnessed guests taking everything from flatware and glasses in restaurants to a bag full of napkins from a counter service location and potted flowers waiting to be planted with the explanation "For how much I paid they owe me". I never saw that 10, 20, or 30yrs ago. And it's adults, the ones paying, not adolescents. To me as Disney's greed has accelerated so has the downward spiral in guest behavior. I've validated this with several friends, some of whom like me no longer see Disney as a vacation because there's no relaxation. It's more like volunteering at a charity auction where I'm required to bid on everything while helping out!

At more reasonable prices people are more leisurely. Our local theme park, which is a great deal and well maintained (Carrowinds), has much less pushing and shoving (from a predominantly teenage crowd) than what we experienced during our last trip to WDW.
That and I think with the dynamics of a ton of different cultures clashing has played into it, too.

Belowthesurface

I'd say because the culture of the guests in the last ten years have become much ruder.

There are also more wheelchairs and ECVs compared to the past. Talk to the Cast who have been front line for 20+ years. They spin the same tales about how rude people have become and how many more disabilities exist at the parks than ever did.

Bolt

There are also more wheelchairs and ECVs compared to the past. Talk to the Cast who have been front line for 20+ years. They spin the same tales about how rude people have become and how many more disabilities exist at the parks than ever did.
ECV usage in general at Disney is getting insane. Unfortunately, can't really police that.

ToTBellHop

I'm really hoping that railings are going to be installed and flowers replanted The loss of TWO flower beds would be very sad, yet very likely.
Grass has no place in a park?
ny_central_park.jpg

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
View attachment 46585 View attachment 46586 View attachment 46587 View attachment 46588 Heres the latest pics of Casey's corner expanded seating area from over the wall.
While I lament the loss of more green space in the MK, I will admit that this is one change that was needed badly. I don't know how many times we've had to use the top of a trash can as a table. As for the remaining green space, personally, I would create vegetation between the expanded seating and the walkway (towards the plaza) that wound hinder any good views of the skies above the Castle, keeping "campers" away from these tables before the fireworks. Big trees that give sight lines under the canopy of leaves towards the Castle, but effectively blocking the skies.

Horizons1

Grass has no place in a park?
ny_central_park.jpg
When did I say that? Please, tell me when I said those words.

Grass is great. It's cheaper. And that's what it's all about.

Who needs color? With that logic, let's rip out all the flowers around the MK, not that there are many left. Let's make it all grass. The flowers can join the trees of the MK. They can all go away. Concrete and grass, puhlease!

If I want grass in a park, I'll go to the city park up the road. Grass at Disney is fine, but not when it's replacing flowers.

ToTBellHop

Who needs color? With that logic, let's rip out all the flowers around the MK, not that there are many left. Let's make it all grass. The flowers can join the trees of the MK. They can all go away. Concrete and grass, puhlease!

If I want grass in a park, I'll go to the city park up the road. Grass at Disney is fine, but not when it's replacing flowers.
It is your opinion that flower beds are prettier than grassy knolls.

Grass is the best compromise between aesthetics and functionality here. I hear there are a few flowers popping up in Epcot for those interested.

And for the record, 2014 MK has more trees than 2013 MK. Or 2012. Or 2011.

Sometimes the negativity here is absurd. It is downright dangerous in this area during the nighttime festivities. This was a necessary change.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Grass needs maintenance, maintenance costs money, just put down green colored concrete rubes will never notice...

Horizons1

It is your opinion that flower beds are prettier than grassy knolls.

Grass is the best compromise between aesthetics and functionality here. I hear there are a few flowers popping up in Epcot for those interested.

And for the record, 2014 MK has more trees than 2013 MK. Or 2012. Or 2011.

Sometimes the negativity here is absurd. It is downright dangerous in this area during the nighttime festivities. This was a necessary change.

Flower beds are better than grass. They add so much more to the area through color. That is my opinion while yours is that grass is better. Oh well.

When it comes to functionality, however, why not just flatten the whole area? If this were really entirely about functionality, why are the curbs for the planters still there? Why not flatten them and just lay grass down level with the footpath? With those curbs there people are going to trip over them in the dark, at least that is how it appears from the photos. That removes none of the danger that you claimed was in this area. If anything, this area is now more dangerous. And no one should have to go to just Epcot if they wanna see flowers. Flowers should be all over WDW, not just one park. They used to be everywhere, but since saving money is the big thing there as of late, it's a different story. Sadly.

I assume you're counting the Fantasyland forest when it comes to trees. Oh wow. Lots of trees in the back of the park. Meanwhile, Town Square and the hub look barren without any trees. Just because they put trees in Fantasyland, doesn't make the situation any better.

Sometimes the blind fanboyism here is ridiculous. The act of defending every single move WDW makes is one of the reasons why the resort has fallen so steeply in quality over the past decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom