Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

G00fyDad

I have to agree! I hate being judgemental against other parents but this is just bad parenting. Anyone with half a brain can tell the fence is there to keep children out. And to go as far as help your child through the fence!?! :eek:

But didn't you know....? That person's special little princes and princesses are the most important things in the world. It is their right to do as they please. And that woman is showing them how to treat rules they do not agree with. Just run that stop sign or stop light because you don't feel the need to stop. Take that item from the store because the line is too long. Hey, that is the model for today's parenting. :confused:

If that were me trying to get through that fence when I was a kid I would have saw stars and lost about 10 minutes of my memory from the blow to the back of my head coming from my parents.

wdw71fan

But didn't you know....? That person's special little princes and princesses are the most important things in the world. It is their right to do as they please. And that woman is showing them how to treat rules they do not agree with. Just run that stop sign or stop light because you don't feel the need to stop. Take that item from the store because the line is too long. Hey, that is the model for today's parenting. :confused:

You have no idea how many times I've seen CM's correct a child that was doing something unsafe.. And I have seen the CHILD 'back talk' the CM and tell them "It's a free country"....

Well you little smart *@$%^*($@#, it may be a free country, but Walt Disney World is private property... If you don't like it, LEAVE.

ExtinctJenn

I'm positive that's what happened with Casey. It's obvious the train cab was initially designed so that kids could climb INSIDE it...and the fence is more than obviously out of place. This fence was tossed in as a last minute CYA (cover your rear) tactic in case the new law went into affect.
I have to agree with this statement (and other folks who said it) because you don't see it in the models and there really didn't seem to be any plan for it while it was being built. It seemed the fence wasn't there and then was the day of soft opening.

Without revealing too much about myself, I work for one of the largest financial institutions in the US and ADA related projects are one of my (many) "subject matter expert" areas. Now of course here it's a lot different BUT I can totally speak to the fact that Disney is definitely covering their rear on this one. With the world we live in, there is no doubt that a parent would consider a suit against Disney for having a play area that wasn't ADA compliant. Definitely not saying that is right (or wrong for that matter) but in order to fix the situation the fence was a good "quick fix" for now I guess. I'm sure they'll figure it all out but I hope whatever the solution, the fence is gone soon! :)

orky8

Without revealing too much about myself, I work for one of the largest financial institutions in the US and ADA related projects are one of my (many) "subject matter expert" areas. Now of course here it's a lot different BUT I can totally speak to the fact that Disney is definitely covering their rear on this one. With the world we live in, there is no doubt that a parent would consider a suit against Disney for having a play area that wasn't ADA compliant. Definitely not saying that is right (or wrong for that matter) but in order to fix the situation the fence was a good "quick fix" for now I guess. I'm sure they'll figure it all out but I hope whatever the solution, the fence is gone soon! :)

How can any ride have a height requirement? Shouldn't the Lollipop Guild be filing suit against Disney to have RSR shut down? What about my three-year old (fictional) daughter who is in the 25th precentile for height (or 5th percentile), and therefore not able to go on rides that normal three-year olds can. Remove the fence. And if (when) sued defend this country.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How can any ride have a height requirement? Shouldn't the Lollipop Guild be filing suit against Disney to have RSR shut down? What about my three-year old (fictional) daughter who is in the 25th precentile for height (or 5th percentile), and therefore not able to go on rides that normal three-year olds can. Remove the fence. And if (when) sued defend this country.

Simple.. height isn't a protected class or considered a disability.

MissM

Ok, I have to admit. I'm confused as to why so much hatred for this simple little play area. Would I personally want to get drenched? No. But water + little kids = instant happiness. So it's not meant for me, big deal? And if the parents are ok with the kids getting soaked (cooling off, change of clothes, bathing suit under clothes, whatever) then who am I to judge how they spend their time at Disney?

Also, does everyone forget there's been a fountain splash area at Epcot for years?

Kids in bathing suits, shirtless, shoeless getting drenched. And that's Epcot! If everyone's so cranky about a kids play area in the Circus-themed kiddie area of Fantasyland at MK, why haven't there been huge protests and uproars over the Epcot one? :rolleyes:

Is the fence an issue? Yes. It's not only ugly and potentially dangerous but short-sighted. Do some parents lack ability to actually parent? Of course. We've all seen that at Disney and elsewhere. But to get so upset over the play area's very existence of being seems really silly to me.

orky8

It's a safety issue. Restraint systems only fit people of a certain minimum (or maximum) size.

And in the instance of a ride's height requirements, it never will be.

First, yes. I agree everything you (both) say is entirely accurate.

But, it is still "discriminatory." If Disney cannot permit access to the inside of a child train plaything because not all children would be able to access it, then Disney should not permit access to roller coasters if not all patrons would be able to access it. If you cannot build a roller coaster that can safely handle every citizen of this world, then you should not be permitted to build that roller coaster (or any other ride).

Lee

Adventurer
First, yes. I agree everything you (both) say is entirely accurate.

But, it is still "discriminatory." If Disney cannot permit access to the inside of a child train plaything because not all children would be able to access it, then Disney should not permit access to roller coasters if not all patrons would be able to access it. If you cannot build a roller coaster that can safely handle every citizen of this world, then you should not be permitted to build that roller coaster (or any other ride).
Ummm....no. That's silly.

Lee

Adventurer
10 years ago, the idea of fencing in part of Casey Junior in this fashion would have been viewed as silly... Now, it is a legally required CYA or you end up in court.
I don't think that's what is going on here. I think it was more about potential injury than an ADA issue.
There have been, and still are, plenty of attractions and play areas that are not fully accessible to everyone.

orky8

The ADA does not set out to end discrimination - it's purpose is to ensure access and accommodation for those with disabilities.

The purpose of the ADA is a noble one. But they way the regulations are being enacted and enforced and litigated are not. It is only a matter of time before obesity is a disability (a position the EEOC has already taken).

orky8

I don't think that's what is going on here. I think it was more about potential injury than an ADA issue.
There have been, and still are, plenty of attractions and play areas that are not fully accessible to everyone.
That's possible. But that just makes this screw-up even more silly. Because the fence creates a bigger (and more predictible) safety hazard. It is low, it is wide, and clearly kids were going to climb on and over it. I will admit I didn't anticipate as much parent assistance is said circumvention, but Disney should have.

MAF

I think the "imagine" can be stripped from Imagineers now. Crap job and clueless Imagineers who can't imagine how to do a McPlay area until a guest states the obvious.
Ugh.

Its sad that WDW is now ripping off McDonald's and Six Flags to create their attractions. I honestly wish I lived closer to Disneyland where they do things the right way.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Ok, I have to admit. I'm confused as to why so much hatred for this simple little play area. Would I personally want to get drenched? No. But water + little kids = instant happiness. So it's not meant for me, big deal? And if the parents are ok with the kids getting soaked (cooling off, change of clothes, bathing suit under clothes, whatever) then who am I to judge how they spend their time at Disney?

Also, does everyone forget there's been a fountain splash area at Epcot for years?

Yep I'm with you on this. It is the best water play area that Disney has done, much better than what is available at Epcot, and yet it is not good enough.

Stop and see the kids play with this thing and you'll see how much they enjoy it. I think some people forget that this area is for kids, and I think they forgot how much fun this type of thing was as a kid.

WDWFREAK53

Could they add some "ground level" additions so that people in wheelchairs could access and then open up the engine without the railing?

EDIT: Why would you want to be playing in water if you're in a wheelchair anyways? Wouldn't that in itself be a safety concern? Wet wheels, wet hands, and wet wheel-grabs seems like it's not exactly safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom