News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

If they were able to find a way to make it work at Disneyland with Galaxy’s Edge, they could have figured it out for WDW too.
About a month ago I told someone who’s only seen galaxies edge in Florida that “the best part about Star Wars in California is the rivers of America - it improved the park so much more than adding the Star Wars area did”

CoasterCowboy67

You need to just stop with this argument while you're behind and pivot to something else.

The river bed does not have to support the weight of the water. It's not a bowl.

They don't have to pump water into it. If they did, they wouldn't need to build a temporary dam and pump the water out for parts of it, they'd simply just drain it. [I've been corrected on some of this further down the thread] The gravitational pull you mentioned in your own statement gets the water where it needs to go.

Leaks don't matter for retaining the water. This isn't a swimming pool someone filled with a hose.

Put it this way - what do you think happens if you dig a hole next to a lake that goes below the waterline of the lake?

Do you know?

I'm pretty sure Disney's engineers know.

Seven Seas lagoon, connected to the ROA by a canal does not have a cement bottom but it's also not a natural body of water, either. The reason that doesn't just run dry is the same reason the cement doesn't have to hold all that water in ROA. At worst, water over time seeping through the cement has the ability to erode it and over a long enough period without mitigation efforts as a part of planned maintenance, it's possible that could jeopardize the integrity of the parts anchoring the track but as has already previously been mentioned, they didn't need to anchor the track to an entire bed of cement to begin with so any potential problem there is not what you're making it out to be and the solution, if they didn't want to preserve the full cement bottom would not need to be much more dramatic than when someone wants to put a dock pretty much anywhere in water that doesn't have a man-made bottom. They wouldn't even technically need to drain ROA to do it though for speed quality and cost, they probably would since they have the ability to control it enough to do that.
Ok. I cant explain physics to you. If you want to believe water is weightless, that we live in zero gravity, that concrete structures last forever, or that their deterioration doesn’t compromise the reason they were built in the first place, go for it

If you want to believe that a college professor with connections to Disney leadership is (wrong? misinformed? deliberately peddling Disney propaganda?) go for it

MickMinn22

Been waiting to post and let the announcement sink in for a little. I am still just as excited as when it was announced. I rode the riverboat last time I was at WDW in April and all I could think was they could do so much with this space. It was a very busy day in the park and both the boat and island were nearly empty. To keep our little one entertained we were constantly walking around the boat and all the levels. So many people looked bored and most people were lined up to get off the boat well before we got close to HM.

I think Disney still builds beautifully themed lands and hope the ride and land are more of a natural park feel with a cars ride in it. Honestly, not excited about the piston peak in the concept art but the rest looks like it could have a natural beauty feel to it.

Also if there was such a desire for attractions and lands like this in a theme park, why doesn’t epic universe have something like this going in?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

If that’s what people wanted most out of theme parks, Kings Dominion and Cedar Point would be competing with Disney as the most profitable parks.
I agree, but Walt Disney World is selling the “Resort” aspect and the FOMO part of missing out on the biggest new rides to the market.

The intangibles that historically differentiated the park are just that… intangible. But from a sheer/cold business marketing and balance sheet standpoint it’s a proverbial “tree falling in the forest”. There’s no KPI performance metric for it, and it doesn’t move DVC/timeshares or in park per capita spending numbers.

TheRealSkull

I bet those people who were begging that a Cars Land clone wouldn't be built in DHS would much rather prefer that now as opposed to what has been announced.

Man just think if it had been this way: Galaxy's Edge in Echo Lake/Indiana Jones area expanding out into the parking lot. Toy Story Land where it is now. Cars Land where Galaxy's Edge currently sits. Monsters Inc Land where Animation Courtyard is. Hollywood Studios would have been a full day park by then. Then we could have just had Villains Land and all would have been fine.

DarkMetroid567

I honestly don’t know how they would’ve expanded ”Beyond Big Thunder“ by building along the edges of the river without ruining the aesthetic of the Rivers of America anyway. They would’ve needed to craft the sight line in Frontierland (blocking views of the river) to prevent guests from seeing Villains from Frontierland.
I think people would hope for a DL-style shortening of the RoA.

Otherwise, you’d need to create an astronomically long dead end further than the dead end that BTMR already is, or create a strange entrance in Fantasyland by Rapunzel toilets or Small World. Both would still be obnoxiously long.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I bet those people who were begging that a Cars Land clone wouldn't be built in DHS would much rather prefer that now as opposed to what has been announced.

Man just think if it had been this way: Galaxy's Edge in Echo Lake/Indiana Jones area expanding out into the parking lot. Toy Story Land where it is now. Cars Land where Galaxy's Edge currently sits. Monsters Inc Land where Animation Courtyard is. Hollywood Studios would have been a full day park by then. Then we could have just had Villains Land and all would have been fine.
😭 Crazy right?

DisneyHead123

I agree, but Walt Disney World is selling the “Resort” aspect and the FOMO part of missing out on the biggest new rides to the market.

The intangibles that historically differentiated the park are just that… intangible. But from a sheer/cold business marketing and balance sheet standpoint it’s a proverbial “tree falling in the forest”. There’s no KPI performance metric for it, and it doesn’t move DVC/timeshares or in park per capita spending numbers.

My take… Disney is never going to compete as a “rides first” kinda park. Because rides are (relatively) cheap and easy to make. They exist in every parking lot carnival and fair these days. And if you want to just go pound rides all day, there are places that are: 1. Much better suited to that but 2. Still not making nearly the profit Disney does. Disney’s rides have always existed as an extension of other elements of the parks.

So sure, it’s not reflected in spreadsheets, but executives are not literal robots incapable of making inferences or observations. If people want theming and immersive environments, it’s not rocket science to figure that out. I think we’ll get there, I just worry about what will be lost in the process.

Wall-e

This is not part of Imagineers vision - this is a mandate from above.

Now I am certain the imagineers will do their best with that mandate, although parts of the Epcot expansion make me wonder on basic design skills.
You are probably correct. The Imagineers were given a box to work in and this is was they came up with. But if anyone has watched any of those Disney ride documentaries they give the impression that there are still some organic processes that go into bringing a ride to fruition.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Also if there was such a desire for attractions and lands like this in a theme park, why doesn’t epic universe have something like this going in?
I see it more like this Disney tries to bring Park into a Park fast at Epcot because they know Universal is doing that with Epic Universe with Celestrial Park. Disney has a 2017 concept art with all water areas just like Epic. Disney then removes any trace of water and doesn't even bring back a small fountain after gutting down Fountain of Nations. Epcot ends up looking like a community college campus instead in the end.

Disney is still upset at Epic so they decide to go opposite of Park from a Park and demolish that from Magic Kingdom. They know they can't get Epcot close to the 2017 concept anything close to Epic Universe right now. Disney thinks going opposite is their own game and now at the same time anyways are removing history at the same time which that's something else they want to follow or want to do by.

Those are just my guesses 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️ I'm not them. Why I'm saying this because Epcot and Frontierland doesn't seem to matter to them and those should be the best kept parts of parks in WDW in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

bwr827

No one's mentioning if the weight is distributed over the entire concrete floor or not. (It is.)

Let's say the weigh of the water is 10 tons. And you swim down three feet and lie flat on the concrete floor. Do you feel the weight of all 10 tons?

No.

You feel the weight of just the water above you in a column the shape of your body.
Are we describing the next Avatar film, the Weight of Water?

In the Parks
No
Yep, in that if we have the first American female president, it stays for 4 years with a new AA. In any other scenario, it switches to Muppets.
You have got to be kidding me :banghead:

If they're going to let the current political climate dictate what they do with an original WDW attraction, they truly are lost. I sincerely hope both @wdwmagic and @lentesta are simply speculating here. I can't believe this is true.

Chef idea Mickey`=

According to those in the know around here it does have to be there for a number of reasons. These are my favorite.

To balance out Villians Land. (Something for the youngins to do and to have something to eat crowds)

To eliminate choke points for the crowds expected to come to Villians and Beyond BTM.

To reinvent what we know of the Haunted Mansion/Liberty Square area.
Star Wars Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland has two entrances I think, Villans would be a problem if only has one entrance.

So the whole reason why the Rivers are going away is because of Villains Land even though the Land in itself is an expansion of it's own away from Frontierland. Removing the River makes it and Cars reason basically a road for Villians. A street currently to get to Villains area would be narrow not big enough. This is sad realizing this may be the cause here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom