News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

TP2000

Unfortunately, there are few people left who understand what made Disney great in the past. Few have the vision it took to make WDW a reality. The same people saying RoA are a waste of space would have taken one look at the swamp Walt and Roy bought and called them crazy. TWDC doesn’t have the creativity or leadership skills that they used to.

That appears to be the case more and more. And yet just six years ago Disneyland spent a small fortune to reroute their railroad and their Rivers of America, bringing new show scenes and animatronics and waterfalls and all sorts of new showmanship to it.

I know there's few people left in TDO who know how to do this, and Josh D'Amaro certainly doesn't seem capable of doing this, but there are still people on the Disney payroll (mostly in Anaheim and Glendale) who know how to do this...

Last edited:

peter11435

I think you may not understand how you come across - you continue to speak in absolutes as though you have a crystal ball or are personal friends with the genie (not to be confused with genie+ - which has not friends).

“There will be water”
“Riverboat is done”

Neither of these are 100% known facts - they both very well may be in the current plans but plans continue to evolve as is obvious from the New Fantasyland announcement to what actually got built. The idea that a coaster would be added to the middle of an already designed and announced addition is way more crazy of a concept that a plan could come up where the Riverboat is still paddling down the river.
I speak in absolutes when what I’m saying is absolutely certain

MrPromey

That was done so they could drain only portions of the river
Yeah, I understand that. I pointed that out in my initial statement but I get how it doesn't really add anything to the discussion now. I was just confused when lazyboy97o said they didn't do that and I'd specifically seen instances of when they had for the scenario I described.

Again though, that doesn't really matter when getting to the point of my original statement.

Last edited:

tallica

The funny thing is, Disney could sell merch for ANY parks IP if they wanted to. Haunted Mansion merch sells. Figment merch sells. If they made merch for Pirates (the ride, not the movie), Country Bears, Jungle Cruise, Small World, etc., it'd sell. People love the parks IP more than Disney expects. The CBMJ shirt has been selling well because people WANT CBJ merch. Disney would rather just sell the kind of merch you can get at any Target in America, because it's safe.
Totally agree. Took my sister to MK a few months ago when she was visiting. She is not a Disney fan, but fell in love with IASW. We couldn't find any IASW merch. I even asked at a few shops only to be told "Not sure" or similar. Not one CM made an effort to find out. One of my kids found a pin eventually , but in a different park. Looked online later and could only find merch on Etsy and Amazon.

Wall-e

I mean, that’s great that your son is excited. But wouldn’t he be just as excited if they put this area somewhere else and kept the river?
Crazy how many people “liked” this comment. He’s 12 and is able to comprehend that for the price of the “River” and an Island he never has a desire to visit that we are getting 1) Cars in the MK, 2) Villains Land, and 3) the possibility of another land beyond BTMRR.

This won’t come across the way I intend but o well…There are so many waterfront options in the REAL world across the US and within the WDW bubble but you know what we just can’t seem to find in all but one place in this entire country???? Any parks outside of California that have a Cars ride that we can all enjoy!!!

I get it. It’s an awesome spot and at night there’s not many places like it. But why try to derail their plans for your own satisfaction? They can’t please everyone but it sure seems there’s a very vocal portion of the fan base that feel Disney NEEDS to please them specifically.

The Chatbox Ghost

Totally agree. Took my sister to MK a few months ago when she was visiting. She is not a Disney fan, but fell in love with IASW. We couldn't find any IASW merch. I even asked at a few shops only to be told "Not sure" or similar. Not one CM made an effort to find out. One of my kids found a pin eventually , but in a different park. Looked online later and could only find merch on Etsy and Amazon.
You’d think Small World merch would be especially easy to make- just do tiny dolls!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

This won’t come across the way I intend but o well…There are so many waterfront options in the REAL world across the US and within the WDW bubble but you know what we just can’t seem to find in all but one place in this entire country???? Any parks outside of California that have a Cars ride that we can all enjoy!!!
While I don’t necessarily agree I suspect this argument does curry favor with TDO planners. There are multiple resort activities at WDW that have opportunities to relax and unwind.

Want a prolonged quiet time away from the hustle and bustle of of E-ticket IP-laden rides? You can go to the hotel pool/water slide, or take a ride on the skyliner, round of golf (from expert to mini golf), even take a ride on an amphibious car or hot air balloon at Disney Springs.

But - it’s becoming increasingly clear: Theme Parks on WDW property are for maximizing your time 1) riding “the popular” rides; and 2) consuming food and buying merch in between LL return times.

Prolonged breaks and R&R should be spent using the other WDW resort amenities outside the park. Which is what luxury resorts and DVCs are for… ☺️

Stripes

Premium Member
I honestly don’t know how they would’ve expanded ”Beyond Big Thunder“ by building along the edges of the river without ruining the aesthetic of the Rivers of America anyway. They would’ve needed to craft the sight line in Frontierland (blocking views of the river) to prevent guests from seeing Villains from Frontierland.

psherman42

Crazy how many people “liked” this comment. He’s 12 and is able to comprehend that for the price of the “River” and an Island he never has a desire to visit that we are getting 1) Cars in the MK, 2) Villains Land, and 3) the possibility of another land beyond BTMRR.

I get it. It’s an awesome spot and at night there’s not many places like it. But why try to derail their plans for your own satisfaction? They can’t please everyone but it sure seems there’s a very vocal portion of the fan base that feel Disney NEEDS to please them specifically.
But they could put the Cars ride somewhere else on property and he would enjoy it just as much as if it were in Frontierland. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. That way, the people can still enjoy RoA AND new lands. People in this thread have proposed their own ideas that keep the front of the river and then new lands behind it. Why can’t everybody win?

Wall-e

While I don’t necessarily agree I suspect this argument does curry favor with TDO planners. There are multiple resort activities at WDW that have opportunities to relax and unwind.

Want a prolonged quiet time away from the hustle and bustle of of E-ticket IP-laden rides? You can go to the hotel pool/water slide, or take a ride on the skyliner, round of golf (from expert to mini golf), even take a ride on an amphibious car or hot air balloon at Disney Springs.

But - it’s becoming increasingly clear: Theme Parks on WDW property are for maximizing your time 1) riding “the popular” rides; and 2) consuming food and buying merch in between LL return times.

Prolonged breaks and R&R should be spent using the other WDW resort amenities outside the park. Which is what luxury resorts and DVCs are for… ☺️
This. I can think of so many areas that evoke a similar feeling that involve a walkway, lighting, water, boats, and rides.

Walking from an Epcot area resort to HS.

Same for walking to Epcot from BC or BW.

Any walk along 7SL or Bay Lake.

Port Orleans Riverside boardwalk.

Anyone have any others that aren’t ROA?

TrainsOfDisney

Crazy how many people “liked” this comment. He’s 12 and is able to comprehend that for the price of the “River” and an Island he never has a desire to visit
When I was 12 I didn’t have a desire to ride the steamboat when we visited Disney (actually we didn’t visit that year… so when I was 11! Haha) but after multiple visits in my young and now middle adult life it’s one of my favorites.
But why try to derail their plans for your own satisfaction?
Or why not both!? I mean if I’m selfish for wanting the riverboat to stay doesn’t that mean the other side is selfish for wanting cars to fully replace it?

Wall-e

But they could put the Cars ride somewhere else on property and he would enjoy it just as much as if it were in Frontierland. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. That way, the people can still enjoy RoA AND new lands. People in this thread have proposed their own ideas that keep the front of the river and then new lands behind it. Why can’t everybody win?
According to those in the know around here it does have to be there for a number of reasons. These are my favorite.

To balance out Villians Land. (Something for the youngins to do and to have something to eat crowds)

To eliminate choke points for the crowds expected to come to Villians and Beyond BTM.

To reinvent what we know of the Haunted Mansion/Liberty Square area.

Wall-e

When I was 12 I didn’t have a desire to ride the steamboat when we visited Disney (actually we didn’t visit that year… so when I was 11! Haha) but after multiple visits in my young and now middle adult life it’s one of my favorites.

Or why not both!? I mean if I’m selfish for wanting the riverboat to stay doesn’t that mean the other side is selfish for wanting cars to fully replace it?
No because I assume the Imagineers have a vision for this area and trying to Frankenstein a portion of a waterfront into what looks to be a frontier valley to satiate their need to keep what’s familiar to them is IMO selfish.

The concept does show water in the back near BTM. Theres the compromise as I see it. That and the water features 😁

psherman42

According to those in the know around here it does have to be there for a number of reasons. These are my favorite.

To balance out Villians Land. (Something for the youngins to do and to have something to eat crowds)

To eliminate choke points for the crowds expected to come to Villians and Beyond BTM.

To reinvent what we know of the Haunted Mansion/Liberty Square area.
If they were able to find a way to make it work at Disneyland with Galaxy’s Edge, they could have figured it out for WDW too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom