News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The last thing they built was a coaster, and then they're building a Monsters coaster.

Coasters are popular, but they're not for everyone as evidenced by attendance at coaster heavy parks (Cedar Point, etc)
Disney does well with "family coasters" which don't have big drops or go crazy with inversions.

It's doing very well with the newer family coasters (SDD, TRON, GotG:CR) that are 'smooth' in that there's no jerking around. Kids love it. And seniors don't break a hip or get whiplash.

All of WDW's 'family coasters' have significant queues. Back in the old days of Genie+, SDD was the first LL attraction to fill each day.

Now that DHS is getting a third coaster, EP and DAK could each use a second.

Mr. Sullivan

I have to disagree with you about DL's BTM. I actually like WDW's better. They're both immensely fun, but there's just something about WDW's that I prefer.

The canoes and Columbia I'm sure add a lot to the energy...when they're running. Again, they weren't when I was there in 2019, so I can't speak on that from experience.

I personally wouldn't add Fantasmic to the list of plusses to that land. It was stuck there because where else are they going to put it? It's not there to add anything to the land itself. Again, I was there on weekdays so I didn't get to see it. But the thought of dealing with so many people in such a limited area kind of turned me off from the idea of seeing it even if I could.

I haven't traveled internationally so I definitely can't speak on those lands. Hopefully one day. But when it comes to the comparison between WDW and DL, World's FL wins for me. Or...it did. Guess we'll see if that holds up.
That’s very fair! BTMRR definitely will come down to preference. I like Florida’s a lot…until the anticlimactic ending. DL’s having more after the final lift hill (and the effects on said lift) make it feel a little more complete to me whereas Florida’s almost feels like it’s missing the last quarter of the ride.

And yes, Columbia and the canoes add so so much when they’re both running. Hopefully you get to see them sometime!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Out of curiosity, why can’t they put Door Coaster where RnR is? From what I hear, RnR catches on fire quite often and seems like the problem child of DHS.
They can. But they'd have to tear out the RnRC tracks and fit the new hanging RV coaster in that space.

Or, tear down the whole building.

Also, you're just trading one coaster for another, and that's not 'more capacity.'

hopemax

Oh god I had a thought. People have been saying Adventureland is one of the things up next.
Jungle cruise?
It should absolutely be considered on the list, although I don’t think it’s next up, simply from the labor requirements alone. Guests can’t get themselves in and out of the boat to maintain capacity targets. As mentioned, they don’t sell a lot of merchandise, and the movie underperformed. While Moana is waiting in the wings for sometime in the 2030s, after all of this stuff.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
If Zanetti is correct, there was never a hope of keeping Rivers of America or Tom Sawyer Island. There’s no conspiracy, or philosophical abandonment of the soul of Magic Kingdom.

Things get old and broken and their time passes. It’s sad, but I’m hopeful that what’s coming will add new beauty and excitement to this park.

Disney *could* totally refurbish RoA. But the cost would be tantamount to just putting in a new attraction.

So, for the same amount of money, they can keep things the same: pretty, but low capacity, and blocking access to expansion pads.

OR... put in a new attraction that has more capacity and opens up access to expansion pads.

This was the same calculus that turned TGMR into MMRR.

rct247

So I realized while on a Disney Plus deep dive last night that this area will be based on the National Park as seen in "Planes: Fire and Rescue."

Piston Peak is gorgeous in the movie. If they nail this area, I think it may wind up being an upgrade. Definitely a vibe switch, less Frontierland and more Grizzly Peak but still if done properly..... You can see it in the video below.

Admittedly, this does look pretty beautiful. It's still just such a drastic shift from what I imagine Frontierland being. I think that's exactly what Disney is trying to get at. I picture as more of a historical setting and Disney wants to paint as more of a locational setting.

I like the idea of this attraction. I just still hate its placement.

Quietmouse

I saw a YouTube video of Disneyland and the canoe experience. The main cast member was cracking jokes about how once you do this you will never do it again. This kind of sums up tsi and the boat in a nutshell. You will ride the boat once. You will visit tsi once. You will paddle the canoes once. But realistically, will you do it again on a repeat visit?

TrainsOfDisney

Disney *could* totally refurbish RoA. But the cost would be tantamount to just putting in a new attraction.

So, for the same amount of money, they can keep things the same: pretty, but low capacity, and blocking access to expansion pads.

OR... put in a new attraction that has more capacity and opens up access to expansion pads.
Ideally they would have chosen the middle ground - create a loop for the boat - connect mansion and big thunder with a path - and then build Villians Land.

That would have been cheaper - since the construction work will happen anyways and the cars attraction will be expensive on top of that. That extra attraction money could be spent on Villians Land.

But yes, I think you summed it up well!

This kind of sums up tsi and the boat in a nutshell. You will ride the boat once. You will visit tsi once. You will paddle the canoes once. But realistically, will you do it again on a repeat visit?
yes, I ride the riverboat on almost every visit to the park. Not visit to WDW or DL, visit to the park. The island is once every so many visits depending on the weather, crowds, how I feel, etc.

peter11435

You joke, but Disney doesn’t realize the real cash cow - alcohol. High profit margins on alcohol and intoxicated guests = more loose spending.

I know they were anti alcohol for a while, but in all honestly it’s a huge money maker that they never truly tapped into.
I think Epcot is more than proof that Disney understands the financial benefits of alcohol

Quietmouse

Ideally they would have chosen the middle ground - create a loop for the boat - connect mansion and big thunder with a path - and then build Villians Land.

That would have been cheaper - since the construction work will happen anyways and the cars attraction will be expensive on top of that. That extra attraction money could be spent on Villians Land.

But yes, I think you summed it up well!

yes, I ride the riverboat on almost every visit to the park. Not visit to WDW or DL, visit to the park. The island is once every so many visits depending on the weather, crowds, how I feel, etc.

Another question then, are you a season pass holder or someone who has the ability to travel dw or dl frequently? Because for the average guest, who spends 4k on Disney world - that is their only vacation for the year. And my best guess is, if you visit Disney infrequently then you probably won’t do the boat/island experience frequently if you already had done it once prior.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I've been on the Riverboat a few times. But never on TSI. I keep telling myself to go there, but when in the park, I never think about it with so much other stuff I want to do.

So, this October when I go, I'll go see what TSI is all about.

And maybe I'll get it. Maybe I'll drop to my knees sobbing and punching the ground with my fists, scream, "You Maniacs! You're blowing it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

Or... right after the trip back from TSI, I'll look back on it and shudder and mumble, "Ew. Dirty."

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And Horizons, no? Disney didn’t want to pay for a refurb and neither did the sponsor, so bye Horizons and hello MS?
Yeah. Ride problems, building problems, EuroDisney problems and the loss of a sponsor.

And before anyone says it... nothing to do with a sinkhole. It's crazy to think that a centrifuge that would have tons of concrete and tons of physical stress could be built on a sinkhole.

TrainsOfDisney

Another question then, are you a season pass holder or someone who has the ability to travel dw or dl frequently? Because for the average guest, who spends 4k on Disney world - that is their only vacation for the year. And my best guess is, if you visit Disney infrequently then you probably won’t do the boat/island experience frequently if you already had done it once prior.
I’m currently not a passholder to either WDW or DL (which is a weird thing for me to say / type! Haha) - I have been in the past - I’m not a local though so visiting either required the same travel / lodging expenses as anyone else, even when I had a pass.

My last trip to MK was before tron opened (it was testing and doing previews) - i only had a 1 day ticket and yes, I rode the riverboat.

personally - I have no desire to ever ride the guardians tower again - and yet other guests want to ride it over and over again.

I also think the average guests enjoy seeing the steam boat - they always wave from the boardwalk and over by big thunder. Seems to bring them a smile!

It’s one of the only places in the country you can see and ride a steam powered paddle wheel.

dreamfinding

Yeah. Ride problems, building problems, EuroDisney problems and the loss of a sponsor.

And before anyone says it... nothing to do with a sinkhole. It's crazy to think that a centrifuge that would have tons of concrete and tons of physical stress could be built on a sinkhole.
A bit off-topic, but parts of me wonder how different WDW/DL would look if Euro had been successful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom