News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DarkMetroid567

I don’t see the two being even remotely similar…but that’s me…
People holding on to the past and fearing change, using context as justification for rejecting change

Just look up the average town hall or community meeting on an apartment development, like in San Francisco. You’ll find that it sounds a lot like this discussion.

DCLcruiser

That is not my quote. But regardless, the entire point of a theme park is to take themes and fantasize them.
Sorry, I updated my last post, as I confused you with the other poster.

I just don't think TSI is fantasy. Maybe it was cool in the 70s and 80s. I've never been eager to go as a kid of the late 80s/early 90s.

doctornick

That's an important distinction: they don't change things that are popular, no matter what level of malice you assign to their decision making. They can't replace Pirates with Cars because it's still too popular. The other side of that argument is that they MUST replace things that are not popular anymore. They are not running a museum.

Um, Splash?

Honestly, I don't mind the Rivers or TSI being filled in. They look pretty but that's about it for me. If they make it look like the concept art where it's a cozy mountain/forest area that could be just as beautiful.

But I am annoyed that this was all supposed to be "Beyond" BTM & only Villains will be. Use the space more!!!
I'm glad they left lots of room for future expansion. Villains could definitely grow which is something that few other lands can do.

eddie104

Let’s be honest the ROA and Tom Sawyer Island we’re pretty much a blank canvas for Disney to work with.

Most people are lamenting the loss of serenity and relief in a crowded park like the MK.

Unfortunately Disney does not see it that way and whether utilize it for something most guests will use.

I’m not saying those areas were of waste of space but if you want more capacity you need to use the areas you current have to their fullest potential especially an area that’s 95% empty land.

billy023

If the Epcot re-do had worked, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt with this one. However, the disaster of that - along with all the new resort hotel towers invading sight lines, the shilling of IP where it does not belong, the Las Vegas attention to surface glitz - has showed me that Disney has lost its way. When money is NOT dictated by the stock market, you get the artistry of Tokyo Disney. When the stock market rules you get a frontierland of rocks and no water. Symbolic.

lazyboy97o

The only way to make this really work is to have the backside look like the dry west, not the Pacific Northwest and its evergreens. They would need to double to old west buildings on both sides of the street. I guess that is why the boat landing building is staying.
While building out the other side of the path would create a stronger pedestrian experience, it would do so in isolation and in contradiction to the story. Frontierland doesn’t have a lot of chronological separation from Main Street, USA. The shootout on Main Street is a classic western trope. But Frontierland wasn’t telling an urban story like Main Street, USA. Even with these new attractions, it’s still supposed to be telling a story of great expanses of land. Adding a second block creates a very urban typology.

Beacon Joe

Kind of makes you think it was intentionally *designed* not to be super packed/busy. Apparently that means it’s “unpopular” and no-one likes it.😉

I've sort of suspected that's why they often didn't run the keel boats.

"There is no merchandising or calculable ROI on TSI." --> "Let's not run the keel boats every day because why would we shunt guests to a location with no ROI." --> People can rarely get on boats to TSI --> "See, nobody goes to TSI." --> Kill it and pave it over for gift shops"

el_super

For a one minute ride across the river? How busy and pre-planned is your day?

Kind of makes you think it was intentionally *designed* not to be super packed/busy. Apparently that means it’s “unpopular” and no-one likes it.😉

The crux of the issue: people weren't utilizing this desperately needed space. Either it's not as needed as people want to think, or the burdens to utilizing it were too high. Either way the result is the same.

Um, Splash?

Splash wasn't popular because of the IP.

UNCgolf

It’s funny seeing these arguments in these threads, because the insistence of “neighborhood character” and attempts to stop development is why cities across the world are in a housing crisis.

Eh, AirBNB and other corporate investment schemes are as much, if not more, to blame for this.

More importantly, this is a theme park, not a city.

Sir_Cliff

There is something tragically poetic and symbolic about an auto-centric land replacing a relatively "natural", historic portion of the park.
Maybe it's just me, but don't roads and cars kind of take the charm and romance out of the wilderness? Do people really go to the real wilderness and wish that there were more roads and the sound of cars whizzing by? If so, I guess Disney is creating that fantasy for them.

V_L_Raptor

Look at the artwork released today, there is a giant waterfall that everyone will see walking down through Liberty Square from the hub. Similar to the Matterhorn.

Give it time. Eventually they'll decide those waterfalls are as difficult to maintain as the old Tomorrowland ones, and they'll be taken out of service. Why build something to maintain it, after all?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom