News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

RobbinsDad

Honestly, for me, if they just came out and said that they'd keep the portion of RoA next to Liberty Sq and the CBJ part of Frontierland and had the boat permanently docked, I would be fine. That's it, I just want there to be a water feature where there is supposed to be a riverside.

That's my main concern. I mean, I wouldn't like losing TSI and the actual riverboat ride, but I'd be okay with it much like I'm okay with losing Maelstrom or losing the subs or any number of decisions that I have disagreed with over the years. But removing the water entirely is just IMHO idiotic and indefensible. Mostly because it doesn't even make any sense.

And I guess my thing about it is that is is so shortsighted. Keeping a proper riverside is simple for the area and even would help enhance the visual for Cars by providing some distance.
Agreed, the dock and boat should remain. It would not be difficult to move the outdoor queue for HM to create a walkway between it and the remaining portion of the river toward Villain land.

RoysCabin

The “right” version of history is the version of whoever is in control of writing the textbooks for that region, at that moment in time.

The truth is unknown.
Oh, absolutely, none of us were present for most of the moments we study, but there are massive gaps between different levels of research out there.

People deciding that, say, changing the redhead in Pirates is "changing history" are pretty much wasting everyone's time. If they really wanted to point out the travesty visited on Pirates, they'd be demanding to know when the heck Jack Sparrow and company will be out of the ride so the danged thing can be coherent again.

MerlinTheGoat

Not to mention Splash closes anyway during some colder months even in Florida.
Splash doesn't really close specifically because of cold weather (unlike Kali or the water parks), though the lines typically diminish that time of year and they often use that soft period to bring it down for refurb. It has however operated throughout the winter season in the past without going down for rehab. They would switch off the extra soaker jets though.

I wonder if they'll take Tiana down this coming season though. It only just opened and is likely to remain crowded even in the winter season during its "honeymoon period". That said, it has been broken down so often that I wonder if they're going to schedule a refurb anyway to try and see what they can do about the downtime and malfunctions.

Last edited:

Obi-Ron-Kenobi

It was a tough day going to the mall and finding the "cool" stores no longer selling styles I was interested in
That day I remember thinking sadly about what that meant about myself and my tastes
I certainly didn't blame the store for moving on without me, make a big show of never shopping there again, or try to blame the lack of items I was interested in on some political nonsense

Chef idea Mickey`=

Unfortunately, the US usually seems to get either piecemeal approaches or "fragmented wholes" because its vision and financing are different than Tokyo. The US seems to be contending with internal politics between numbers people and artists. The US also has different financial structures and (my guess is) a more assertive stock market to answer to. It’s the confluence of those two factors that I believe enable Tokyo to be more Disney than USA. Why the Fantasy Springs team couldn’t translate its strengths into Frontierland.
Even if the US had the budget like Japan what keeps Japan ruling is how they take pride and care with their food meal decor, boxed convenience merchandise, having a souvenir included etc While the other parks run for Marvel, or IP to rival Universal, Tokyo will make the best next gen Peter Pan advanced ride of your life. This is the way WDW was strong enough to already claim and have but no they choose to respond to whatever Universal pipes down now the 3rd time just because the excuse saying is what people want. Nobody asked Disney and Universal to be the same!

TrainsOfDisney

How? TSI is better than Splash?
Splash still exists - other than the tiara there is no major change in the overall design that changes the landscape / feel of the area.

if they destroyed Cinderella castle it would be a silly argument to say “very few guests actually ate there”

It’s not about TSI as an attraction - it’s about the island and riverboat creating the land.

MerlinTheGoat

I would also not favor expanding EPCOT, if that option were even available. The ring setup of World Showcase works pretty solidly though.
The expansions for Epcot are the unused spaces in between the existing countries (there were originally designated expansion pads behind some of these, but that wouldn't have been until much later in the park's life after all the other spaces were used up). About half a dozen or so. There would be no need to extend past the existing "boundary" of the park to use these, and it wouldn't increase the amount of distance a person would be walking (assuming a full lap around the lagoon perimeter).

Not to mention a couple of the existing pavilions have unused expansion space (Japan and Germany being two examples AFAIK). And an empty Future World pavilion.

hopemax

These people have no common sense. But I don't think thats the driver here. I think it's a factor but I think the driver is underutilized space and missed revenue opportunities. Too much space not turning over a profit. But thats where they are misguided. The ROA is the kind of thing that created the brand and separated Disney from other parks. You may not be able to show that people are spending money on TSI but it's what's bringing them to the park in the first place. Whether they know it or not.
Exactly. I don't fault guests for not understanding the relationship between their enjoyment of a space, and intentional design of that space by professionals. Whether it be a shopping experience, a restaurant, a workspace, a community space, etc., a lot of work goes into choices like colors, materials, lighting, flora to either energize or calm people through visual cues. Tomorrowland and Fantasyland seemed to have been more energetic, kinetic places which were balanced by slower paced, calmer areas on the western side of the park. It seems like the current trend, not just Disney, is just make everything an assault on all your senses so people pay extra to be given access to a more calming environment or to get through as fast as possible, to move onto the next thing.

Nor will guests understand when the decompression zones are eliminated, why a day feels more exhausting and more stressful, even though they like the new attraction. There are comments that people aren't utilizing these spaces, so why does it matter? Because even just walking through a space for 5 minutes, can provide your brain relief. If you don't feel like you have time to sit for a half an hour, because the pressures of seeing everything, and making your next timed activity. Just standing by the River while making your next LL, or to take a drink of water from your water bottle has an impact. The effect won't be noticeable, until it's gone. Like the benches and the trees. And cue Joni Mitchell again.

Fox&Hound

Honestly, for me, if they just came out and said that they'd keep the portion of RoA next to Liberty Sq and the CBJ part of Frontierland and had the boat permanently docked, I would be fine. That's it, I just want there to be a water feature where there is supposed to be a riverside.

That's my main concern. I mean, I wouldn't like losing TSI and the actual riverboat ride, but I'd be okay with it much like I'm okay with losing Maelstrom or losing the subs or any number of decisions that I have disagreed with over the years. But removing the water entirely is just IMHO idiotic and indefensible. Mostly because it doesn't even make any sense.

And I guess my thing about it is that is is so shortsighted. Keeping a proper riverside is simple for the area and even would help enhance the visual for Cars by providing some distance.
I agree, 100%. I never thought, in my wildest dream, even when TSI removal was brought up years ago, that removing ALL the water was even on the table. I love the water front by Frontierland and the walkways that extend over the water. Why remove that???

Ice Gator

Splash still exists - other than the tiara there is no major change in the overall design that changes the landscape / feel of the area.

if they destroyed Cinderella castle it would be a silly argument to say “very few guests actually ate there”

It’s not about TSI as an attraction - it’s about the island and riverboat creating the land.
I’m sorry you lost me at comparing TSI to Cinderella Castle. I love the feel of ROA don’t get me wrong, but I’m fine sacrificing it for something new.

RoysCabin

It was a tough day going to the mall and finding the "cool" stores no longer selling styles I was interested in
That day I remember thinking sadly about what that meant about myself and my tastes
I certainly didn't blame the store for moving on without me, make a big show of never shopping there again, or try to blame the lack of items I was interested in on some political nonsense
Eh, I don't agree with this framing; it's one thing for tastes and fashions to evolve and for a company to respond to such trends, it's another for a company to decide "we're going to dictate what works and what doesn't", and it's yet another thing when the execution of their plan to do so is often of questionable quality relative to what was there before.

Like, yes, 39 year old me fully acknowledges that I'm not likely to see some of the Disney TV/movie characters I knew when I was a kid being prominently featured compared with hotter properties from today; also, if there's a clear demand for things like greater numbers/varieties of, say, thrill rides, then it makes sense that Disney would build more of them, which they did when such a demand began really bubbled up around the late 1980s into the 90s.

But 39 year old me can also have a relevant opinion about things like whether theming, place setting, or the artistic merit of a given area is being handled well when the changes are implemented, and can dislike it when the company is saying "no, for realsies, we totally ARE maintaining the theme, we swear!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom