News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DarkMetroid567

Forgive me if someone on said this already, it's hard to keep up with 59 pages, but does this mean they're going to have a walkable path from Haunted Mansion now to Big Thunder? Before, of course, you had to walk all the way around the Rivers of America but the concept art looks like there's going to be open pathways? I'm just wondering how that's going to look/work with HM's queue being famously right on the waterfront.

View attachment 808723
I hope so. Half of the reason I don’t ride BTMR is because the walk to it feels like an odyssey.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I remember one poster replied to a message and said "No this won't be the last straw for anyone." Well, he's wrong. Whatever subsection of pixie-dusters that like this and want to passive-aggressively mock and insult the people who don't like it-please enjoy the space that I will not be occupying anymore. I'd like to thank Disney for giving me a place to enjoy with family over the years, but time to move on.
I'm no pixie-duster but I recognize that (a) it's just a theme park (b) in Florida (c) run by a California-based company (d) that thinks WDW fans are just stupid tourists.

And the standard response to "I'm not going!" applies. (someone will be there to take your place)

I'm quite sure someone has taken mine by now.

jason976

No I honestly don't. I think it's just an empty part of the park that can be used more effectively.
Agree here. Most people just don’t care about this as much as the vocal minority. I completely respect those who feel passionately about it. It’s sucks for them. And I will miss seeing the park the way I did when I was younger.

But aside from that, the park had to evolve to remain relevant to younger crowds. I know my wife and I and our 2 college aged kids are very excited for something different.

Regarding HOP, the vocal left and right have made it impossible to enjoy an attraction like this. You pick which president (or party) you hate and someone always has a comment. For that reason, we never even consider going in it anyway.

basas

I'm no pixie-duster but I recognize that (a) it's just a theme park (b) in Florida (c) run by a California-based company (d) that thinks WDW fans are just stupid tourists.

And the standard response to "I'm not going!" applies. (someone will be there to take your place)

I'm quite sure someone has taken mine by now.

Or…maybe not? Did they just not announce last week attendance has been (and is projected to continue being) soft? Seems like a bad time to tick off your loyal fans…

phillip9698

This is awesome news. That plot of land is always so empty. I understand that some families enjoy the change of pace that a deserted island provides and this is sad news for them.

I’m glad we are getting some attractions and areas that will actually draw and hold guests.

Beacon Joe

You don't think getting rid of Tom Sawyer Island and Fort Langhorn has anything to do with political correctness?

Not to mention if they remove Liberty Square and Hall of Presidents.

So I haven't read through the whole thread, but are there indications that we're losing Tom Sawyer Island?

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

View attachment 808711
Tried to modify this layout to have Cars in the back half of the river while keeping that shape for Villains land. Totally possible, and they can even extend further behind Fantasyland if they really want. No train track modification required.
Just gonna leave this here too- I doubt there's any hope in changing their minds, but hey, might as well get any potential solutions to the problem visible!

BrianLo

1723484411782.jpeg

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

Tom Bricker with a good take as always.

This block especially stands out

“Beyond that, instead of being singularly fixated on increasing capacity, I wish Walt Disney World would endeavor to eliminate stress. When it comes to this, there are the usual suspects–screen time, lines, ride breakdowns, etc. But another one is offering up lovely places to decompress that bring smiles to the faces of guests.

Some of those decision-makers should go inside one of the massive Magic Kingdom quick-service restaurants during the middle of the day and count all of the people not eating anything. Just sitting there with their heads on the tables or attempting to ‘rest and recharge’ in about the most chaotic environment possible. (Nothing says ‘recharging’ quite like the midday rush at Pinocchio Village Haus!)

I’m not kidding. One important goal should be getting these people out of the loud and unpleasant restaurants and into actual serene spaces that offer nice ambiance and actually will allow them to mentally refuel for a brief bit. Walt Disney World needs to understand that Magic Kingdom is a world-class theme park, and those two words have meanings beyond just the fanciest and most modern rides. There should be a concerted effort to not just keeping it a “park” but enhancing that angle. It may not be captured on guest satisfaction surveys, but it’s as big a part of what separates Disney from an average amusement park as the envelope-pushing attractions.”
Go to the SSE lounge opening in 2025!

Enjoy $22 cocktails and the AC!

MrPromey

Because as I've said every time "5th gate" conversations come up, WDW already has enough to fill a week-long vacation, and Americans will only ever take week-long vacations. Expanding beyond one week worth of stuff has diminishing marginal returns, so they focus on making new and better stuff rather than a larger quantity of stuff.

That issue doesn't exist at Disneyland, which is not yet a week-long destination.
The number of current attractions between the DL resort with its two parks and WDW with its four are roughly equal.

Unless you're spending a decent chunk of time doing non-park activities (which they seem to offer fewer of these days than they used to) the only things that really makes the WDW experience longer are the wait times, the travel between parks and the travel in parks since things are, pretty much in every aspect, more spread out in Florida.

It also doesn't hurt that the park hours for DL's parks are typically way better than WDW's four, either.

ctrlaltdel

I honestly don't think it will be very tall. The latest concept art (which I take to be more "true to scale" than what was shown at D23). It appears that the "peak" of the mountain will actually be built on top of (and to partially hide) the main show building). shows cars driving up that mountain and that tallest point only being maybe 10-20 feet above the cars.

I tried to make some sense of the image. Based on what I can see, it seems the ride will be as follows:

1. Entrance/(Exit)?: I can't tell if this is the formal ride entrance or just the entrance of the show building. Either way, you may either walk (or drive) past McQueen and Mater as you enter the main show building. Or maybe it's possible that this is the end of the ride and you go past McQueen and Mater before making a left turn to the finish line (H)[which I have no other way of getting to otherwise)
A. Show Building Race Exit: It looks like you will have a dark ride portion (similar to RSR) prior to exiting the show building to start the "race"
B. Start Line: You can see the start line here indicating the start of the race before the cars make a180 degree turn to the right before going over the bridge
C. The Bridge: Shown in a lot of the concept art
D. Under the Bridge: After the bridge the cars turn 270 degrees to the left to go under the bridge they just crossed
E. Tunnel/Cave: After going under the bridge, the cars turn 180 degrees to the right again to go through a tunnel/cave (that goes under the path the cars previously took before going over the bridge)
F. Mountain Ascent: After exiting the cave, there is a (mostly) straight section where I assume the gyser/mud aspect will come into play before the ascent up the mountain
G. Mountain Peak: At the peak of the mountain, the cars will go around the signature mountain peak before making a turn and going... well, who knows!
H. Finish Line: Eventually, you get back up to the finish line, but I can't see where there is an outdoor path here or if maybe the ride goes back indoors for a portion before making it to the finish line.

View attachment 808688
Good breakdown. I actually think geysers are a little bit to the right of your label 'H.' From F, I think you go back behind the show building in a canyon (you can see rockwork behind the show building, going all the way around behind the finish line and grandstand area from the concept art). Just under Big Thunder, you can see two cars coming off a turn, after that there appears to be a few more turns before picking up your arrows at 'H.'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom