News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

MrPromey

Most of the new announcements seem like a desperate response to the New Epic Universe Park. Except it is to little, and to late. Iger said that they have known about Epic was coming for around 10 years, and they are just now announcing new stuff. They should have announced this stuff 5 years ago, and had some of this stuff up and running starting this year and into next year.
They were clearly waiting and watching to see what kind of a threat Universal's new park might pose before committing to anything.

I'm fairly convinced that's why the last few D23s have been so lame with blue sky crap (prior to this one, of course). They didn't want to commit to more than they had to before they knew.

Regardless of what fans want to argue one way or the other, I think at this point, Disney has made their calculations on what they expect the impact to be on them and someone is not happy with the outlook.

What's happened here is clearly a case of "Pay attention to what they do and not what they say" as Bob's statement made it sound like Disney wasn't worried at all but these announcements out of D23, complete with conflicting concept art, clearly show that Disney is now seriously worried about the impact Universal may have on their Florida operations in years to come.

This is all Potter-Swatterā„¢ activity all over again.

For those who don't remember, that's how we ended up with NFL only this time, they appear to be taking the potential threat a whole lot more seriously.

My guess is someone finally realized their entire profit center in resorts and DVC is anchored by the parks and that the whole house of cards with that could be in jeopardy if they were to loose complete dominance over their traveling guests' central Florida vacations.*

Not much sense paying Disney's grossly inflated rates for what in modern times are often lower standard rooms if you're not planning on staying mostly in the "bubble" they started poking their own holes in to save a buck back with the end of Magic Express.

*Maybe this year's downward attendance (affecting more than just Disney, of course) make the dangers of something like that more obvious on a spreadsheet or two.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Absolutely. This is just like Splash in that they certainly know this change is going to be shredded by the most loyal and vocal parks fans, but they did it anyway because... reasons.
This is nothing like Splash because EVERYONE loved Splash. The hardos and the casuals alike. Killing Splash was universally hated outside of a micro-niche faction of culture warriors. This decision is going to be hugely popular with the normies.

horatiog

I had the same thought! The current concept doesnā€™t rule this outā€¦ Iā€™m hopeful that they plan to save the northern loop of ROA. It would allow big thunder to remain on the water front and they could dock the belle just west of the haunted mansion in a new small extension of liberty square which would transition to villainsā€¦

View attachment 808700

This is what I want. Truly. I can cope with losing Tom Sawyer Island, but losing the rivers entirely would be a profound shame.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I don't think it's all being filled in. I think the depth is going to be some of the lower parts of the track. Some of it has water in it still. Red is lower race track, blue looks like water.

People are lamenting the loss of water. But do people not see the giant waterfalls in all the concept art?

View attachment 808712
Looks like you can only enjoy a refreshing moment of waterfall just while riding the attraction, I don't see any pathways for scenic walking by it... correct?

Ghost93

Bigger does not always mean it is worthy of more than the smaller counterpart. Frozen is a much, much, much more successful movie than Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but should we then say that Frozen is a more important thing to keep preserved and remembered than Snow White?
That's historically inaccurate. Snow White, adjusted for inflation, is in the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time and is much more profitatable than Frozen. Frozen definitely sells more merchandise today, but Snow White had several decades of being the most popular and beloved animated movie of all time, selling 28 million VHS copies in the 90s ā€” six decades after its initial release and the third best-selling VHS of all time behind The Lion King and Aladdin.

I'm not saying this to bash Frozen, I love Frozen. But Snow White was the company's most consistent moneymaker in the 20th Century. Only time will tell if Frozen has the same staying power 80 years from now.

doctornick

The ones in California company isn't thrilled of WDW getting love a new nighttime parade, Encanto, Monster's Inc Land.

They are telling you, you want Villains and better you'll pay the price. It's no wonder there are almost 4 Frozen Lands around the World but only 1 Cars Land in California all this Time.

The thing is that changes to WDW always seems to come with some sort of irreversible destruction and loss.

DLR may not get as "much" as the fans there want but virtually always is preserved. And could still be used in the future.

John park hopper

You are wrong indeed. Almost all of the original Universal park in Orlando (and Hollywood) has been replaced. Universal thrives on replacement. Hogsmeade replaced Merlinwood. Diagon Alley replaced Jaws. Mummy in Hollywood replaced ET. Simpsons replaced Back to the Future. The only actual addition theyā€™ve done to an existing park that didnā€™t replace something was Nintindo in Holywood. Sometimes theyā€™ll build a whole new park but Universal mostly plays the replacement game.
If you read my later post I admitted I was mistaken

basas

Wait now this is a political thing?

I'll lead the parade if we're lining up to bash w*ke Disney, but... this isn't that.

I think heā€™s right. As I said in my other post, this is a company now ashamed of its American roots. Today itā€™s Frontierland, tomorrow itā€™s Liberty Square and donā€™t be surprised if one day its Main Street USA being converted into a version of Shanghaiā€™s ā€˜Mickey Aveā€™.

We donā€™t know much about what Walt would have done (so I tend to avoid that), but itā€™s well documented that Walt was a patriot. I think heā€™d be ashamed to see his company run like this.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The thing is that changes to WDW always seems to come with some sort of irreversible destruction and loss.

DLR may not get as "much" as the fans there want but virtually always is preserved. And could still be used in the future.
Because as I've said every time "5th gate" conversations come up, WDW already has enough to fill a week-long vacation, and Americans will only ever take week-long vacations. Expanding beyond one week worth of stuff has diminishing marginal returns, so they focus on making new and better stuff rather than a larger quantity of stuff.

That issue doesn't exist at Disneyland, which is not yet a week-long destination.

JohnD

We need a definitive answer on what is going to happen to the riverboat. And, no, destroying it is not an answer. Fantasmic would be great but I'm told it won't fit. How about dropping it into Echo Lake as a walk on exhibit? Can it be used as an actual boat on SSL? We know it's on a track in ROA. Is it an actual serviceable boat?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom