News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DCLcruiser

40 something lifetime park goer here. Sad to see it go and as a Cars fan I’m not sure I like the fit. My number one concern was the look and feel of walking from the hub to Liberty Square and while I’m a huge fan of being along the water I think the sight lines will be very different but ultimately fitting for a Disney park.

Also been following this thread closely and I don’t see anyone post this observation yet. The arrow is pointing to a water feature that seems to be a waterfall that is featured in one of the initial concept drawings.
Those look to be the current wood dock walking paths along the banks of the river.

EPICOT

There's an argument to be made for Carousel of Progress.

The original concept of Frontierland is problematic for a number of reasons: slavery and racism, the treatment of native Americans; women largely didn't have the right to vote. It would be incredibly difficult for Disney to develop a new story in that context. We got 70+ years out of the idea. Let's be happy with that.

Liberty Square's days are numbered. And this is not the morning for me to get banned from this board for explaining why.

I'm hopeful the water features mostly stay. I think they learned their lesson with Galaxy's Edge.
If what you say is true and the concept of “American frontier” is problematic no matter what, I’m just shocked you would allow yourself to find enjoyment in such an immoral place!

doctornick

They're saving that for another expansion.

I mean great, but then why not do the reverse? Use the north area as much as possible first and then if you really need to use the RoA footprint in the future do it when there is no other choice for space. I don't think people would be as upset if it came down to "we have no where else to expand" situation.

ctrlaltdel

I wouldn't jump to conclusions on this just yet. The concept art doesn't show all that detail...
Yeah it clearly does not show that. It clearly shows the Riverboat Landing building at the edge of the attraction (who knows if it actually will remain or be rethemed), but nothing else in particular is touched. Seems clear to me the boundaries of the area are the lower portions of Tom Sawyer's Island and the ROA with a pretty clear delineation to what currently exists on the banks of the river.

vikescaper

The boardwalk along RoA that goes from Liberty Square to TBA was adding in the 90’s to help with crowd control during SpectroMagic, correct? I assume this will be removed with the expansion so I wonder how crowd control will work once the new night parade premieres and there are construction walls up around RoA.

Parker41056

Not that it's going to make people feel any better, but this was one of the costlier options pitched, and makes a broad attempt to fit the area better than most others.

Now that word is out and the dust is settling, a little more information is slipping through.

Once their original BBTM plans were scrapped, Coco's massive showbuilding precluded it from being relocated. Cars won, the ROA's fate was sealed.

Villains - despite being a disparate collection of ideas even to this date - was by far the favorite to win over the singular BBTM expansion plot. The art as shown is suggestive of theme and style but not related to a practical model. Yet.
From my perspective, this leaves a ton more opportunity to expand Beyond Big Thunder. Coco could still live back there with an even bigger area for a Villains land. Maybe a phase 2.

kevlightyear

Yet somehow totally fine for DL. That's what irks me the most - even if they are going with completely idiotic shortsighted reasons for these changes, at least be consistent. Stop treating MK like a second class citizen and letting DL keep its history. That's total crap.
Disneyland is (and should be) the nostalgia/history park. Magic Kingdom has always been a copy. No sense in letting the most popular park in the world get stale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom