News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Wall-e

As others mentioned already, crowd dispersement was desperately needed and I believe having this to open shortly before Villains gives somewhere for the extra crowds Villians will generate to go while they wait for their virtual Queue to be called.

From a strategic standpoint it may make sense.

Goofyernmost

You guys know how there's always one thing that puts you over the edge? The straw that broke the camel's back.

This one is mine. This is unforgivable. The justification of it fitting into the existing land is somehow worse than Chapek's of Cosmic Rewind ("Peter Quill visited EPCOT as a kid"). This is the greatest desecration of Magic Kingdom in its history, and keep in mind Cinderella Castle was once turned into a giant Pepto Bismol cake, and later covered in toilet paper.

The company that announced this is simply not the same company as the one that invented the theme park, and is not deserving of the legacy that got it to this place.
Wow, you guys take fantasy way to seriously and also feel that what you like or dislike is the same as everyone else's.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Huh? I've only been in the domestic parks, but WDW is much better than DLR's. At least TSI. DL of course has more river traffic which is cool (and Fantasmic) but that's not intrinsic to the structure of the RoA or anything.
Post Galaxy's Edge Disneyland has the much better ROA and it's not even close.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Just go this text from my wife with regards to TSI:
"we knew that would happen eventually. the IP is too old - most people don't identify with it like they did in the 1970s"
To me it’s less about the IP and more about losing the water feature. The river gave the area breathing room and kinetic energy. You could look across and see Splash/BTM from Liberty Square. I would’ve been fine if they used the island for the Cars ride and left the river there.

ctrlaltdel

Maybe something like this...?

View attachment 808610
Water still remains on the Big thunder side per the concept art. My guess is they will keep the western branch of ROA to at least the outlet, with it acting as a buffer between Big thunder and at least part of villains (in red here).
Screenshot 2024-08-12 091738.png

SplashJacket

More news and concept art - it is going in Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island:

View attachment 808572

It’s time to leave Radiator Springs and head west into exciting new locations. To make way for this completely new frontier, the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island will be transformed into vast and rugged terrains for a rally race with some of the world’s most iconic racers.

“We are thrilled to create this original Cars adventure and put our guests in the driver’s seat as we—quite literally—explore a new frontier in Frontierland,” shared Michael Hundgen, Walt Disney World Portfolio Executive Producer at Walt Disney Imagineering. “Part of pioneering this new story includes tapping into the themes of exploration and adventure that inspire so many of us to keep propelling forward. Anytime we touch Magic Kingdom, we recognize the massive responsibility that exists to get it right and tell stories that connect with our guests.”

The new area will bring you along for the ride (pun intended) with a brand-new thrilling rally race through the mountains, climbing trails, and dodging geysers, in addition to a second attraction geared towards fun for the whole family.

The new area will bring you along for the ride (pun intended) with a brand-new thrilling rally race through the mountains, climbing trails, and dodging geysers, in addition to a second attraction geared towards fun for the whole family.

Ahead of work revving into high gear next year, guests will have plenty of time to experience the charm and nostalgia of Frontierland as it is today.

And cruising just around the bend, guests will be able to venture Beyond Big Thunder Mountain into an all-new land dedicated to Disney Villains. Inspired by the wicked characters fans know and loathe, the multi-acre expansion will include two major attractions, plus dining and shopping. Walt Disney Imagineering is pushing creative boundaries to dark and mysterious levels to bring this new, first-of-its-kind land to life.

Together, these new additions to Magic Kingdom will represent the largest expansion in park history.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Zero water in the Magic Kingdom.

Bewilderingly ridiculous that they’ve imploded the best land in the park.

Circus tents remain in Fantasyland. A spinner clogs Adventureland. Tomorrow has countless ugly vistas and remains a concrete jungle with an active pollution.

But sure, let’s obliterate the tranquil zen with a loud and obnoxious and out of place ride.

Unbelievable

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I don't really have any doubt the new area will look great. As a big national parks fan (where we go on the majority of our vacations) I really am partial to the look they are going for. Don't think Disney is cheapening out on it, they knew from holding back this announcement at D23 that it would be unpopular so they have to knock it out of the park. My biggest worry is that the ride will be unreliable. It's gonna be at least moderately high-speed outdoors in Florida so it likely will have significant downtime no matter the ride system
I know thunderstorms are rare in Florida, especially during the summer season, but in the off chance it does rain you will effectively shut at least 4 D/E tickets in the same area.

Big_Shakalaka

Not that it's going to make people feel any better, but this was one of the costlier options pitched, and makes a broad attempt to fit the area better than most others.
This would make sense to me. Clearing the backstage area would be simpler than having to do ALL the work tjat is needed to prep the ROA area for new construction.

Kamikaze

Not at all. But you’ll be able to see cars from the queue and if there is not much liberty square left, what then?
Judging by the art, theres an entire full-size walkway between the two. They're currently doing a TON of work to DL's HM queue, so who says they can't change the WDW queue to have a couple of additional walls to block the view & sound? Right now its not a concern because theres a River next to it, but theres no evidence that they haven't considered the intrusion of the Cars attraction onto the HM's ambiance.

ppete1975

I am one that complained about the loss of fountains years ago, and the 20,000 lagoon. The steamboat could have been moored (tragic) and tom sawyer island could have been closed (which moved alot of people away from other areas). Water relaxes people, and we used to have tons of water features but those are quickly going away. But the loss of the river is the same as the lagoon, a relaxing area in the middle of a bustling busy park. A park bench in front of the river is an attraction in itself. Now it will be more congestion in an area thats already congested. Had they put this behind and created more traffic flow areas this would have been great, instead they just pave over more nature to make fake nature out of concrete. (I am aware that the river is fake, and made of concrete, but compared to what they will do with cars land is not the same)

They paved paradise, to put up a parking lot.

How many people have watched the Disney ducks play in the river? Or got that perfect shot of the sun coming up over the river with the castle in the background? Or just sat down and relaxed and watched the boat.

In disneyland you need space, this shouldnt have been an issue here. They should have stretched the crowds out instead of cramming them together by building behind the river.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom