News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

fgmnt

Oh, god - the park ops transportation and logistics are going to spawn a hundred research papers. It really will be a challenge.
I've had a harebrained idea that they need to at least discuss the possibility of a north entrance/exit through the villains expansion. Bus plaza + some kind of super-preferred parking.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not really. Two different concepts entirely. The "draw" of the Speedway is driving you own car - being in control and all that.

I think the Speedway is bad and should be replaced, but it doesn't become redundant by this.
Also, Cars isn't about cars. The cars are the characters but like... Steamboat Willie isn't a film about mice, it's a film about a sailor. The cars are the "actors" in whatever genre of story they want to tell, including a Western.

Cars is like Zootopia, and the reason Zootopia doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom is the same reason why Cars CAN fit in Frontierland.

I have no attachment to ROA or TSI (although I enjoy the scenery). However, Disney is showing they will do anything they can to not increase capacity. They just keep replacing it. Attendance may be down right now, but as we've seen in recent years, they need the additional capacity for crowd management.

PREMiERdrum

Not that it's going to make people feel any better, but this was one of the costlier options pitched, and makes a broad attempt to fit the area better than most others.

Now that word is out and the dust is settling, a little more information is slipping through.

Once their original BBTM plans were scrapped, Coco's massive showbuilding precluded it from being relocated. Cars won, the ROA's fate was sealed.

Villains - despite being a disparate collection of ideas even to this date - was by far the favorite to win over the singular BBTM expansion plot. The art as shown is suggestive of theme and style but not related to a practical model. Yet.

lentesta

Premium Member
I had some hope that the pendulum might be swinging in the other direction on this. The American Adventure came out of its refurb unmolested. And the Spaceship Earth refurb, which was motivated by a lot of the reasoning you alluded to (have you seen the ride-through?), was abandoned.

I think the things keeping American Adventure from a substantial update are:
  1. It's huge, so updates would be super-expensive. And I'm not sure they're convinced there's an ROI.
  2. No matter what you change, half the country would be upset.
Looking at Hall of Presidents, I mean, where does it go from here? What could Disney possibly do to it to make it an actual draw with guests while maintaining anything like its current narrative?

Or put another way: would you trade Hall of Presidents as it is, for a Muppets version of American history?

IMDREW

Not that it's going to make people feel any better, but this was one of the costlier options pitched, and makes a broad attempt to fit the area better than most others.

Now that word is out and the dust is settling, a little more information is slipping through.

Once their original BBTM plans were scrapped, Coco's massive showbuilding precluded it from being relocated. Cars won, the ROA's fate was sealed.

Villains - despite being a disparate collection of ideas even to this date - was by far the favorite to win over the singular BBTM expansion plot. The art as shown is suggestive of theme and style but not related to a practical model. Yet.
But why not just Villains land and skip the cars of whatever else they were planning?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think the things keeping American Adventure from a substantial update are:
  1. It's huge, so updates would be super-expensive. And I'm not sure they're convinced there's an ROI.
  2. No matter what you change, half the country would be upset.
Looking at Hall of Presidents, I mean, where does it go from here? What could Disney possibly do to it to make it an actual draw with guests while maintaining anything like its current narrative?

Or put another way: would you trade Hall of Presidents as it is, for a Muppets version of American history?
Oh no doubt, Hall of Presidents sucks. It already feels like a worse version of AA, and it never really belonged in Magic Kingdom.

I don't love Muppets but I'd be very happy for them to take over that theater.

I was more referencing whether Disney feels compelled to abandon American History as a setting for fictional storytelling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom