News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Quietmouse

I wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing that’s end up being built in tropical of America.

Bird flu, presidential election uncertainty, recession possibilities, etc.

I know that’s not something someone wants to hear after Covid, but the reality is that there are super uncertainties heading our way.

phillip9698

A lot of people also don't have any clue to why things are the way they are, or why they feel a certain way. The general population are not theme park designers, so handing the control stick over to them would be disaster. A likewise, if you simply built what they thought they wanted, you'd have a stinking pile too.

Ask someone "would you want 3 roller coasters or 1?" "THREE OF COURSE!" - Then you hand them Primevial Whirl and they tell you the park sucks. No, YOUR ideas for a park suck :)

This is such an awful example. By the same token peoolecould ask for a dark ride and be handed Superstar Limo. Does that mean the people who want more dark rides have sucky ideas too?

AidenRodriguez731

This is such an awful example. By the same token peoolecould ask for a dark ride and be handed Superstar Limo. Does that mean the people who want more dark rides have sucky ideas too?
What? What do you mean vastly missing the point and being vague on purpose doesn't articulate the point that someone was making. We should not ask for anything because the magical monkey paw is purposefully making it as bad as possible on purpose. People want a zootopia themed land? Sure we get a themed land but it's all bathrooms! See people don't know what they want!

UNCgolf

Those are park visits per year. I didn’t say they were unique visits, but they are # of days attended by guests in a year

You can’t compare a 2 day trip to Disneyland by one person vs. a week long trip to Disney World (and perhaps Universal / Sea World) for a week by one person. That would be statistical malpractice

Again, the unit here are theme park visits, not # of unique guests. And Orlando pulls in way, way more than SoCal

I'm sorry, but no.

The fact that they aren't unique visitors is incredibly important to the point you were attempting to make. I don't care about the underlying argument about WDW vs. Disneyland, but what you said was simply wrong from a statistical analysis standpoint. You can't just add up the total park visits when one resort has four parks and one has two if you want any kind of remotely useful information (at least in this context).

A stronger argument would be that the Disneyland numbers likely have a significantly higher percentage of repeat local visitors, which means their actual unique visitor total probably is lower than the raw numbers suggest.

flynnibus

Premium Member

And you called my example bad? I can’t even understand your leap.

Case in point… what made disney parks great was they insight to know what would create greatness…. Before the audience even knew it was possible. Building the solution the mob says you should build will only ever get you a hot mess

flynnibus

Premium Member
What? What do you mean vastly missing the point and being vague on purpose doesn't articulate the point that someone was making. We should not ask for anything because the magical monkey paw is purposefully making it as bad as possible on purpose. People want a zootopia themed land? Sure we get a themed land but it's all bathrooms! See people don't know what they want!

Yes… because the general population is short sighted, selfish, and generally stupid. So if you want to let them dictate what your creative direction by building their solutions instead of listening to their needs. You deserve the hot mess you’d get.

CoasterCowboy67

I'm sorry, but no.

The fact that they aren't unique visitors is incredibly important to the point you were attempting to make. I don't care about the underlying argument about WDW vs. Disneyland, but what you said was simply wrong from a statistical analysis standpoint. You can't just add up the total park visits when one resort has four parks and one has two if you want any kind of remotely useful information (at least in this context).

A stronger argument would be that the Disneyland numbers likely have a significantly higher percentage of repeat local visitors, which means their actual unique visitor total probably is lower than the raw numbers suggest.
No.

I never claimed unique visits or unique visitors is what you get from combining multiple parks’ attendances. I don’t know why you keep saying that?

You get total visits to the combined parks, and it’s an absolutely valid metric to look at because it’s measuring total consumption of the product, which yes, includes both unique consumptions and repeat consumptions.

Let’s say $100 is the average cost per day at a US Disney theme park

DLR had a combined 27.25 total visits in 2023. At $100 per day DLR would have made $272.5 million — whether that’s 1 person visiting 27.25 million times or 27.25 different people visiting 1 time it does not matter.

WDW had a combined 48.77 total visits in 2023, which would amount to $487.7 million paid on theme park visits, almost twice.

Add in Sea World, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure to FL and Universal Studios Hollywood to CA and you get an even wider margin. Without question, Orlando is a much larger and more competitive theme park market than Anaheim / LA. Epic Universe will only increase that. That was the original point

The fact one market has 2x the number of parks than the other is part of the actual point that it’s a more competitive market

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

I think the issue at the moment is that there’s not a group who is really trusted in terms of being “guest experience first.” Both in intent and ability.

On the one hand you have park visitors, who are not experience designers, right? There’s no expectation that they should know what goes into making a great theme park, except for a small percentage who work in that type of field or are amateur enthusiasts, maybe. But 90% of them do other (very valuable) things. They teach, they’re dentists, they’re engineers, they’re musicians, etc… not designers.

On the other you have execs, who understandably have their own set of responsibilities, worries, and concerns. I’m actually sympathetic to that in a big picture way and I think they probably have a very heavy weight on their shoulders. Still, that doesn’t mean that guest experience is always going to be their top priority. And even when it is, short term gains may be emphasized so much that negative incentives are built into the system. I’m sure they’d like to see super quality parks, but have to balance that with the threat of being out if profits in their division aren’t up next quarter.

The free market is a great feedback loop, and an amazing driver of implicit learning. But it works best in a “long arc” kinda way. Slapping Cars down over a historical landmark may well be a huge misstep. And if it is, I am confident that Disney will see that in the long run. But it doesn’t help to preserve a beloved landmark and a portion of park ambiance in the short term. Market correction is great, but it’s not a wise parent or guide telling you what you should do. It’s a harsh “F around and find out” mechanism that teaches largely from viewing mistakes in the rear view mirror.

sndral

Can someone show me where all of this water in/around the Cars ATV ride will be? I’ve studied the D23 art - I’ve circled in black the only area that looks like it might be water. I’ve made a red line for all of the track areas - I’m unclear on the white cascade down the mountain - maybe a waterfall or maybe the track for the ATVs to go down? The blue line is where there are little people, thus walkways. There’s not much ‘berm’ between Frontierland & the track & there’s none over by the mine train.
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0129.jpeg

UNCgolf

No.

I never claimed unique visits or unique visitors is what you get from combining multiple parks’ attendances. I don’t know why you keep saying that?

You get total visits to the combined parks, and it’s an absolutely valid metric to look at because it’s measuring total consumption of the product, which yes, includes both unique consumptions and repeat consumptions.

Let’s say $100 is the average cost per day at a US Disney theme park

DLR had a combined 27.25 total visits in 2023. At $100 per day DLR would have made $272.5 million — whether that’s 1 person visiting 27.25 million times or 27.25 different people visiting 1 time it does not matter.

WDW had a combined 48.77 total visits in 2023, which would amount to $487.7 million paid on theme park visits, almost twice.

Add in Sea World, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure to FL and Universal Studios Hollywood to CA and you get an even wider margin. Without question, Orlando is a much larger and more competitive theme park market than Anaheim / LA. Epic Universe will only increase that. That was the original point

The fact one market has 2x the number of parks than the other is part of the actual point that it’s a more competitive market

You'd be better off just admitting you made a mistake instead of digging in, because now it seems like you either don't understand what you're talking about or you completely misunderstood the original point of discussion.

Again, I don't care about Disneyland vs. Disney World at all. But it bothers me when people misuse numbers/statistics, because it's so widespread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom