News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

So yes and no.

When we went out to Disney land, it was because we had a trip to San Diego and decided to make a day trip for Disney land.

Never went to dca.

Likewise, some parents might only visit magic kingdom and Epcot, some might just only visit magic kingdom, some might visit all 4.

It’s really dependent on the age of your kids, how many days your trip is, and what’s your budget.

Of course -- I didn't say 100% of people visit all the parks. But there are very few people that go to Disney World without visiting the MK, and very few people that go to DCA and not Disneyland.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not really. I provided lots of evidence in this thread where theme was basically abandoned for a cool new idea. Something they have been doing rather successfully for some 70 years now.

If you want to believe that there are some "rules" to theme park design as a way of validating a fear of change... go for it. Just don't think everyone, especially Disney, subscribes to that.

If you don't believer there are rules to theme park design then you clearly know nothing about how Imagineering and how Disney parks go to where they are at today.

el_super

If you don't believer there are rules to theme park design then you clearly know nothing about how Imagineering and how Disney parks go to where they are at today.

I don't see a future where Cars taking over Frontierland is going to have a negative impact on attendance or satisfaction. So, given that Cars land will be a success for the park, that either means:

1. It fits within the "rules" for the Frontierland theme.
  2. The "rules" don't really mean much.
And yeah, I'm leaning far more toward #2.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't see a future where Cars taking over Frontierland is going to have a negative impact on attendance or satisfaction. So, given that Cars land will be a success for the park, that either means:

1. It fits within the "rules" for the Frontierland theme.
  2. The "rules" don't really mean much.
And yeah, I'm leaning far more toward #2.

No one thing is going break the parks, but break enough of these rules it will eventually have an impact.

LittleBuford

I don't think one can assign a definite time period to the (previous) Country Bear Jamboree. The Sun Bonnets evoke an early twentieth-century milieu, whereas some of the others bears and acts look like they come from a few decades later.

CoasterCowboy67

That wouldn't make any sense. Most people that visit the other parks also visit the Magic Kingdom (and most people that visit DCA also visit Disneyland), so adding them all up and pointing at that number would be statistical malpractice.

It's not like the MK had 17 million visitors, and then EPCOT had 11 million (hypothetical number) completely separate, unique visitors. Most of those 11 million would already be counted in the MK figure.
Those are park visits per year. I didn’t say they were unique visits, but they are # of days attended by guests in a year

You can’t compare a 2 day trip to Disneyland by one person vs. a week long trip to Disney World (and perhaps Universal / Sea World) for a week by one person. That would be statistical malpractice

Again, the unit here are theme park visits, not # of unique guests. And Orlando pulls in way, way more than SoCal

Ghost93

Piling on - but the beauty of ROA and especially TSA is the differentiated experience it offers. It provides actual exploration, that even surprises adults as they travel over bridges and down into tunnels. From a sensory perspective, it allows for actual touch. An immersion aspect less and less a part of WDW. Many have also pointed out the relaxing balance it provides vs the rest of the park.

I would guess many of the TSA haters have never been over there....and I don't blame them if they are infrequent visitors who need to allocate their time booking their next LL, but it's worth a visit. We can drop in new c and e-ticket attractions forever, that will be similar in form an function to Universal offerings, but these iconic Disney areas will never be re-created.

An overarching point that Disney misses is how well guests mentally separate movie/tv IP consumption from a ride experience. Obviously, it has it's place but guests primarily care about a great attraction (immersion, fun, thrills, feels) not seeing the most recent IP.

I went to the parks in the 80s and early 90s and we all loved great attractions with decades old IP - Snow White, Pan, Splash, Mr Toad, and many more. We didn't go home complaining that there were no Aristocats, or Rescuers attractions.....AND we didn't rush to watch Wind in the Willows or SOTH after their rides. Most people view/evaluate attractiions in a vacuum based on the standalone experience and IPs are not cheat codes to elevate them.
I agree in theory, but the sad reality is almost no one actually goes to Tom Sawyer's island to appreciate the "exploration and surprises". It's hard to justify keeping a land — no matter how well themed — that nobody visits.

MagicEye99

The American frontier has a specific definition. It refers to the previously unsettled land West of the Mississippi. The frontier closed over 130 years ago - it’s not a fluid definition. See this article for details: https://www.bu.edu/articles/2018/the-american-frontier-shapes-us-today-bu-researchers-say/.

By all definitions, “Frontierland” should be locked into the period from about the 1840s through the 1890s. Now, that being said, the notion of the “frontier” and its mythos is not necessarily time-locked. Like others have said, when polled, people in 2024 would probably provide responses like “wilderness” or “rugged mountains”. What they’d really be thinking of is the American West, which obviously still exists, as opposed to the frontier.

If Disney would like to add Cars, and given that they already added TBA and updated CBMJ, and just go for the “rugged wilderness” look, it should just consider changing the name of the land to “Westernland” or something along those lines. Thematic consistency should at least tried to be upheld, and if that means shifting the theme and name of Frontierland, so be it. I'd rather that than a mangled, incosistent husk of old Frontierland.

AidenRodriguez731

The American frontier has a specific definition. It refers to the previously unsettled land West of the Mississippi. The frontier closed over 130 years ago - it’s not a fluid definition. See this article for details: https://www.bu.edu/articles/2018/the-american-frontier-shapes-us-today-bu-researchers-say/.

By all definitions, “Frontierland” should be locked into the period from about the 1840s through the 1890s. Now, that being said, the notion of the “frontier” and its mythos is not necessarily time-locked. Like others have said, when polled, people in 2024 would probably provide responses like “wilderness” or “rugged mountains”. What they’d really be thinking of is the American West, which obviously still exists, as opposed to the frontier.

If Disney would like to add Cars, and given that they already added TBA and updated CBMJ, and just go for the “rugged wilderness” look, it should just consider changing the name of the land to “Westernland” or something along those lines. Thematic consistency should at least tried to be upheld, and if that means shifting the theme and name of Frontierland, so be it. I'd rather that than a mangled, incosistent husk of old Frontierland.
CBMJ and CBJ don't appear to take place in a different time period. Both are definitely post 1890s, even the OG.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A lot of Disney World's audience is once in a lifetime travellers. They do not care about the river

A lot of people also don't have any clue to why things are the way they are, or why they feel a certain way. The general population are not theme park designers, so handing the control stick over to them would be disaster. A likewise, if you simply built what they thought they wanted, you'd have a stinking pile too.

Ask someone "would you want 3 roller coasters or 1?" "THREE OF COURSE!" - Then you hand them Primevial Whirl and they tell you the park sucks. No, YOUR ideas for a park suck :)

erasure fan1

Well... the Tomorrowlands have regularly been breaking these rules and what's left of them still gets high volume of guests.
The only ride that technically fails at Disney world, is one that's just really bad. And that isn't really a guarantee. How long has imagination been a turd? Stitch was open like 14yrs and primeval whirl 18. But the point is, people pay really big bucks to be at Disney. If a ride is good or even just average, and a lot of times when it's bad, people are going to ride it. Because hell or high water, your going to get your moneys worth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom