News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

erasure fan1

It is also fair to say Dumbo lost popularity after it was relocated, and that was a fairly short distance relocation. Part of the appeal it held originally was the view of Fantasyland and the castle while riding.
I don't know if you can call it a popularity drop. It's a lot less crowded because now there's two. So they've doubled capacity and that helped a lot. Last summer it was still a decent wait during prime hours.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Back to the actual RoA situation: how likely is it that my return trip to WDW next summer will be filled with construction walls and no river? I know "permits have been filed" but when are they actually starting this? It will affect the quality of my trip.

TrainsOfDisney

Back to the actual RoA situation: how likely is it that my return trip to WDW next summer will be filled with construction walls and no river? I know "permits have been filed" but when are they actually starting this? It will affect the quality of my trip.
I’ve heard ROA is going to last through summer - but trees will be down with exposed construction by then.

I’m also not claiming what I heard is 100% fact.

Brer Panther

You always say Disney wants less people in your theme parks.
Do they? If they want less people in the parks, wouldn't adding all these IP-based rides, ones that will supposedly draw more people to the parks than non-IP ones, be counterproductive?

I figured the raised prices were just because Disney wants to make more money.

el_super

What do you think is the closest comparison during the Walt era?

Adding the Matterhorn maybe? They didn't even know what land it was in when it first opened. Or maybe Small World being in its own 'land' when it opened? Lincoln on Main Street? Caribbean pirates in New Orleans? Or what about carving New Orleans out of Frontierland to begin with?

There's lots of examples of things being put into Disneyland because they were fun and not because they fit or supported the theme.

TrainsOfDisney

Adding the Matterhorn maybe?
I had thought about that one - the Matterhorn, monorail, subs, autopia, fantasyland / Tomorrowland jumble only works because of Bob Gurr and the overall genius planning of how attractions can interact with each other. But of course Matterhorn replaced nothing.
Or maybe Small World being in its own 'land' when it opened?
That was an expansion…. So good!
Lincoln on Main Street?
Abraham Lincoln shouldn’t be on Main Street USA?
Caribbean pirates in New Orleans?
This is still a very odd transition theme wise - and one of the reasons I think California and Florida are tied - the setup and theming is so much better in Florida. But again… this didn’t take anything away did it? Actually not sure on the history of that section of the park.

CoasterCowboy67

That’s not how themed areas work - if you establish a land as 1840s-1920’s that doesn’t mean you can double the time span.

I would also argue that everything in the current Magic Kingdom is “vintage” - even Tomorrowland is a retro / vintage look.

Outside of Tomorrowland - I don’t think there is anything post 1920’s-1940’s
This is a geographic themed area, and Cars is consistent with that definition. D23 confirmed that is the direction. The time period is irrelevant, as its irrelevant everywhere else in the park with rides spanning centuries

The vintage feel and percieved time bound is not intentional — it’s indicative of little updates done to the park except for Tomorrowland and Fantasyland who by definition are based on old fairytales.

There is nothing inherent about Magic Kingdom that prevents it from keeping up with modern times. When Disneyland opened in 1955, plenty of rides were set 20-30 years prior. Cars, right now, is 20 years old

James Alucobond

This is a geographic themed area, and Cars is consistent with that definition. D23 confirmed that is the direction. The time period is irrelevant, as its irrelevant everywhere else in the park with rides spanning centuries
If it were as wholly irrelevant as you claim, they wouldn't be going to extreme lengths to hide the Cars attractions from the rest of Frontierland. You can certainly make the argument that "frontier" is a much broader term than people are allowing for, and you can even suggest that it's okay to have different isolated subland pockets that explore different kinds of frontiers. However, Cars is not at all interchangeable with the other attractions in Frontierland in the way that you're describing because it's quite simply not visually coherent with the other elements of the area. Everything else is designed to be viewed together, but Cars is not. The Imagineers know this; that's why they're sequestering it away behind trees and walls.

CoasterCowboy67

If it were as wholly irrelevant as you claim, they wouldn't be going to extreme lengths to hide the Cars attractions from the rest of Frontierland. You can certainly make the argument that "frontier" is a much broader term than people are allowing for, and you can even suggest that it's okay to have different isolated subland pockets that explore different kinds of frontiers. However, Cars is not at all interchangeable with the other attractions in Frontierland in the way that you're describing because it's quite simply not visually coherent with the other elements of the area. Everything else is designed to be viewed together, but Cars is not. The Imagineers know this; that's why they're sequestering it away behind trees and walls.
Extreme lengths?? We dont know any of this. We have one overheard piece of artwork. From my read of that artwork, Cars will be very visible if you’re standing in front of Tiana or Big Thunder. Just across a pathway. Doesn’t seem hidden at all, and if they wanted to make it different from Frontierland, they would have made it a standalone mini-land as they’ve been very willing to do recently. The fact they didn’t indicates this is not a standalone or disjoint concept. Quite the opposite — it’s a consistent extension of the geographical references

CoasterCowboy67

D23 confirmed that Frontierland is “being reimagined” - so yes, it’s a change.
You’ve referenced the phrase out of context. He is referring to reimagining ROA / TSI (an existing part of the land) into these Car experiences. Not the entirety of Frontierland being reimagined.

Instead, D23 reminds us the definition of Frontier that the park and land has adhered to — the American west

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom