News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

CoasterCowboy67

I had thought about that one - the Matterhorn, monorail, subs, autopia, fantasyland / Tomorrowland jumble only works because of Bob Gurr and the overall genius planning of how attractions can interact with each other.
Genius? If you had any part of any park to pick apart for discontinuity of timeline and location, it would be this one. Australian submarines at the foot of a Swiss mountain? Intermixed with a modern monorail and race cars? Yet another reason Disneyland’s ride density has done a huge disservice to its suspension of disbelief / feeling of immersion. I am so glad MK is not following in its path! Phew!

How is adding Cars not 10x more consistent with its surroundings than this mess?

James Alucobond

Yes, but will those trees and walls make it to the final product? I don't think that's a guarantee, given what we've seen in recent years.
... When have trees not made the final product? If there's one thing we can count on, it's more trees.
Extreme lengths?? We dont know any of this. We have one overheard piece of artwork. From my read of that artwork, Cars will be very visible if you’re standing in front of Tiana or Big Thunder. Just across a pathway. Doesn’t seem hidden at all, and if they wanted to make it different from Frontierland, they would have made it a standalone mini-land as they’ve been very willing to do recently. The fact they didn’t indicates this is not a standalone or disjoint concept. Quite the opposite — it’s a consistent extension of the geographical references
They haven't made standalone minilands in Magic Kingdom. They have appended subsections to larger lands, like how Fantasyland is now divided between the original medieval tourney area, New Fantasyland, and Storybook Circus. This is being tacked onto Frontierland because they can somewhat justify it semantically, but they know it's visually inconsistent with the existing area and are therefore cloaking it with flora and other barriers. It's possible these barriers recede slightly toward the end of Thunder Mountain, but I think the geyser section may actually be at a different elevation that's not immediately apparent from the artwork. Any buildings you can see just look like lodges, and a lot of the vehicle track toward the outside actually looks to sit below the elevation of the main Frontierland walkway.

TrainsOfDisney

If they dont stand up to the same bar you expect new additions to adhere to, I will gladly point out the double standard 😁
Just in case it wasn’t clear - I’m not 100% against cars being in or adjacent to Frontierland. I’m 100% against removing the riverboat and all of the island - even if the island could no longer be visited.

Now do I think modern cars belong in the middle of Frontierland, no, but I don’t think Avatar belongs at DAK and I enjoy it for what it is.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Written in.
You know Pirates of the Caribbean was made in the 1960s right? But does not take place in the 1960s.
Grease was also a film made off of the play in the 70s...butnit was about the 1950s.
These were actual songs from the 50's and 60's that were somewhat well-known at the time. Not songs written to pretend they're from the 30's.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Genius? If you had any part of any park to pick apart for discontinuity of timeline and location, it would be this one. Australian submarines at the foot of a Swiss mountain? Intermixed with a modern monorail and race cars? Yet another reason Disneyland’s ride density has done a huge disservice to its suspension of disbelief / feeling of immersion. I am so glad MK is not following in its path! Phew!

How is adding Cars not 10x more consistent with its surroundings than this mess?
Different strokes for different folks. As a west coaster I’m genuinely happy so many WDW fans are happy with this direction and hope the company sees this as a green light to continue their creative experimentations on the east coast.

I agree and think that maybe if TWDC learns anything from this forum it is that the east coast parks should be treated as “laboratories for modern innovation” both in new attractions and cost efficiency/optimizations going forward.

CoasterCowboy67

... When have trees not made the final product? If there's one thing we can count on, it's more trees.

They haven't made standalone minilands in Magic Kingdom. They have appended subsections to larger lands, like how Fantasyland is now divided between the original medieval tourney area, New Fantasyland, and Storybook Circus. This is being tacked onto Frontierland because they can somewhat justify it semantically, but they know it's visually inconsistent with the existing area and are therefore cloaking it with flora and other barriers. It's possible these barriers recede slightly toward the end of Thunder Mountain, but I think the geyser section may actually be at a different elevation that's not immediately apparent from the artwork. Any buildings you can see just look like lodges, and a lot of the vehicle track toward the outside actually looks to sit below the elevation of the main Frontierland walkway.
Susbsections appended to larger lands are at least expansions of existing concepts. They didn’t need to do that — they could just announced a Cars mini land and be done with it. Build a potpourri of disjoint mini lands like Hong Kong DL. They didn’t, and should get credit for that

I don’t see that artwork and think “let’s hide this” — odd thing to want to do with such a massive investment. Is someone forcing them to do Cars? Instead, I see a large building down below that will likely provide panoramic views of the area, I see the geyser area around Big Thunder very much in front of the Cars kiddie area. At best, we don’t know either way

CoasterCowboy67

Different strokes for different folks. As a west coaster I’m genuinely happy so many WDW fans are happy with this direction and hope the company sees this as a green light to continue their creative experimentations on the east coast.

I agree and think that maybe if TWDC learns anything from this forum it is that the east coast parks should be treated as “laboratories for modern innovation” both in new attractions and cost efficiency/optimizations going forward.
The competition is much stiffer in Florida, so innovation and modernity are musts here. The California parks -- Disney and otherwise — aren’t really incented or expected to innovate. They’re not vacation destinations with nearly as much interest or demand. I think they’re fine to remain as time capsules for folks interested in that

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But the songs were and are performed in a vintage style. Ragtime piano player often plays modern Disney songs in a ragtime style for example. Doesn’t automatically place Casey’s / Coke Corner in the modern day.
So if "You Got a Friend in Me" was sung by the CBJ in a "ragtime style" then that would be OK to place set the bears in the 1930s?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The competition is much stiffer in Florida, so innovation and modernity are musts here. The California parks -- Disney and otherwise — aren’t really incented or expected to innovate. They’re not vacation destinations with nearly as much interest or demand. I think they’re fine to remain as time capsules for folks interested in that
While I don’t agree with all of your reasoning I agree with enough of your conclusion that I do think it makes sense for local parks in California to draw on some aspects of nostalgia given the attendance mix of locals-tourists.

For better or worse: The theme park market generally from it (and what people come to expect) is different in California vs Florida.

James Alucobond

I don’t see that artwork and think “let’s hide this” — odd thing to want to do with such a massive investment. Is someone forcing them to do Cars? Instead, I see a large building down below that will likely provide panoramic views of the area, I see the geyser area around Big Thunder very much in front of the Cars kiddie area. At best, we don’t know either way
Literally all of the Cars facilities face inward away from the rest of Liberty Square and Frontierland, and even if you suppose there are some minor sightlines from Thunder Mountain where the artwork becomes geographically unclear, that still leaves 90% of the views obstructed from outside. The only entrance is from the north. No existing pathways connect to it. It is very intentional that it is mostly hidden and disconnected from classic Frontierland. If they thought it would seamlessly integrate with the rest of the land visually, it would face outward without wasting valuable space on a treeline buffer, and the area would have more access points for better crowd flow. No one's forcing them to do Cars, but there is an IP mandate and a dearth of active IP that fits well within the existing Frontierland framework.

Quietmouse

I think if all the rock work, water features, and landscaping make it into the final product, this could actually be visually equal or maybe even an upgrade (to some). Sadly, I don’t think all this scenery will make it through. If it does though, it would actually be a pretty amazing land, in my opinion.

Controversial opinion, but you’re right.

The dark dirty water, the outdated shell of Tom Sawyer island, much of it is outdated and dirty and not well kept.

The boat will be missed.

But from a theming perspective, if done correctly and appropriately, it could very well be a huge boost to the overall theming of frontier land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom