News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

flynnibus

Premium Member
That’s an over reach.
What? That disney has codified everyone into park commandos vs the strolling type? Or ROA and TSI are nerfed to the point of not attracting much attention anymore?

Because pretty sure when you close everything or remove it... that's not a sign of banger action.

I think any first time visitor is gonna to think the boat and roa are cool and different. Once you do it though there’s no real insensitive to do it again unless your purposefully trying to stall time.
You're making a great case for it's presence... Not

If you get off an attraction once and your thought is 'no need for that anymore...' you've failed. These attractions are built to last a decade plus... 2-3 years of 'new' followed by 7+ of 'been there, done that' is a fail.

James Alucobond

Not when they are adding a ring of trees around the attraction because they don't feel cartoon cars jive with the rest of Frontierland and Liberty Square. That alone should tell them, "you know what? Maybe we should put this Beyond Big Thunder where we originally said."
Water features (streams, waterfalls, geysers) are kinetic elements that will exist outside the tree and rock barrier. I don't think they were talking about the cars.

Also, there would be sightline and thematic issues regardless of where it was situated as long as it was Big Thunder-adjacent.

flynnibus

Premium Member
River boat now suffers from losing the burning settlers cabin and other riverside show scenes...it always needed more....and would have been much more popular with more to see... Much like the train which lacks show settings... Yes, if there is nothing to look at, people will stop going on these attractions. I would rather see them invest a little money to freshen these attractions up and keep them popular rather then completely lose them forever.....Because realistically....after they remove the river and boat, don't think the train won't be on the table....
Agree - and this was what I was referring to as Disney removed more and more scenes from the ROA and activities from TSI. It became less and less interesting to drive people to invest their own time.

Over the last 10+ years Disney has proven it has no good answers to the ROA+TSI 'problem' to fill in replacements. Pirates at DL hasn't been a big winner. Disney hasn't put in a real 'play area' in a lifetime... and putting a few more low motion deer or wildlife figures hasn't been sufficient either.

MK versions of the river and train always suffered vs the DL versions.. and it's just gotten worse with the apathy towards those areas.

Bocabear

Water features (streams, waterfalls, geysers) are kinetic elements that will exist outside the tree and rock barrier. I don't think they were talking about the cars.

Also, there would be sightline and thematic issues regardless of where it was situated as long as it was Big Thunder-adjacent.
Are we confident that these things will be built? There was an awful lot in the EPCOT 2.0 plan that was a Go and was quietly cancelled... I am afraid they will level the land and tear out all of TSI and the river and then realize the demo was more expensive than anticipated and they no longer have the budget to build what they intended.... and all that beautiful set dressing for Frontierland will just become a tree berm in order to keep most of the Cars attraction intact....

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t have numbers, but I have spent lots of time at Disneyland park and anecdotally the riverboat and sailing ship are popular - to the point that I’ve been on the riverboat when it was at “comfortable” capacity - meaning it was difficult to find a good place to stand and enjoy the views.
Note I said "DL has been fighting this 'problem' with TSI for much longer than MK "

TSI - where DL tried the pirates conversion after removing the problematic fort. And it's been what over 15yrs since that change and that's been flat too after the new-ness wore off.

Disneylands ROA has always been better given that there basically is MORE there.. plus you had things like the canoes up until not too long ago. But now that the 'problematic' scenes of the ROA are nerfed... it's so much more hollow then it used to be. But still has more to think about than MK's version.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not when they are adding a ring of trees around the attraction because they don't feel cartoon cars jive with the rest of Frontierland and Liberty Square. That alone should tell them, "you know what? Maybe we should put this Beyond Big Thunder where we originally said."
Well - judging before you even know what it will be... is on brand.

James Alucobond

Are we confident that these things will be built? There was an awful lot in the EPCOT 2.0 plan that was a Go and was quietly cancelled... I am afraid they will level the land and tear out all of TSI and the river and then realize the demo was more expensive than anticipated and they no longer have the budget to build what they intended.... and all that beautiful set dressing for Frontierland will just become a tree berm in order to keep most of the Cars attraction intact....
Of course it's possible that things will change. They usually do in one way or another, though EPCOT is an especially unusual outlier due to numerous extenuating circumstances. We haven't even seen renderings detailed enough to know exactly what they intend to do along the current riverfront from all angles. The point is that there's no reason to believe that they physically can't when it's basically already been done with Grizzly Peak.

mickEblu

I can’t see all that much in the way of significant water features that will be enjoyed by as many people Not around or riding the attraction. Not to the level of the ROA for sure.

No there wouldn’t. If they put it beyond BTMRR the sight line issues would be at a minimum and much more out of the way. The impact between where they decided to put it and BeyonD BTMMR are so vast that I’m not even sure what the point of that comment was.

James Alucobond

No there wouldn’t. If they put it beyond BTMRR the sight line issues would be at a minimum and much more out of the way. The impact between where they decided to put it and BeyonD BTMMR are so vast that I’m not even sure what the point of that comment was.
IMO, potentially seeing Cars from Big Thunder is the major thematic sightline issue in either scenario. With either plan, you won't see them from the main areas of Frontierland or Liberty Square. The change is about whether the backdrop is cascadian wilderness or a Mississippi basin river.

Bocabear

Of course it's possible that things will change. They usually do in one way or another, though EPCOT is an especially unusual outlier due to numerous extenuating circumstances. We haven't even seen renderings detailed enough to know exactly what they intend to do along the current riverfront from all angles. The point is that there's no reason to believe that they physically can't when it's basically already been done with Grizzly Peak.
no one is saying they can't do it... I have seen Grizzly Peak...and the absolutely fantastic Radiator Springs at DCA...they are epic and monumental...They also were not built right next to the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Park...across from Pirates Of The Caribbean.... My concern is from what I have seen them do in the last decade.... Do you risk completely demolishing the heart of this park knowing that it can never be restored, and that for sure "things can change"? I am concerned they will get into it, cost overruns and all...and then it's a railroad tie and dirt berm with visible show buildings on the backside facing Frontierland and the sounds of a cartoon off road rally race echoing through Liberty Square....

Disstevefan1

I mean, even in dire times, they have never done rockwork and horticulture poorly. It doesn't seem like a productive use of one's energies to become immediately anxious about imagined terrible outcomes when there's really no precedent with the type of work proposed here.
The anxiety for me, is about what we will see as the end product after all the cost cutting has occurred.

There is precedent for cost cutting, see Toy Story Land, see the EPCOT renovation, see the starting then closing the Play pavilion, see Communicore and so on.

mickEblu

The anxiety for me, is about what we will see as the end product after all the cost cutting has occurred.

There is precedent for cost cutting, see Toy Story Land, see the EPCOT renovation, see the starting then closing the Play pavilion, see Communicore and so on.

The anxiety for me is seeing a beautiful river/ vista go away for a Cars D ticket.

James Alucobond

As always, 85-90% of the examples people can dredge up lately to justify concerns are related to a historically troubled time for the entire world that happened to overlap with EPCOT's renovation. The remaining 10-15% are related to the few cuts of supporting facilities (shopping, dining), implied entertainment options, or incidental attraction decorations that have accompanied basically every build in the history of the company.

Disstevefan1

As always, 85-90% of the examples people can dredge up lately to justify concerns are related to a historically troubled time for the entire world that happened to overlap with EPCOT's renovation. The remaining 10-15% are related to the few cuts of supporting facilities (shopping, dining), implied entertainment options, or incidental attraction decorations that have accompanied basically every build in the history of the company.
You're right. I am worrying over nothing.
I am sure the cars project will be inline with Disney's new sixth key value ;) -
GoodEnough.jpg

Incomudro

They could.
They certainly would have in the past.
I think about how nice it is in the back of Canada at Epcot with all of the water.
I'm at a point now where I expect that kind of work about much as I expect a good Star Wars series out of Disney.
And that's a shame.
It's a shame that they broke me.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom