News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point went completely past you.

I said no other LAND has a time period attached to it, and you jumped directly to the actual rides themselves.
I think it's time to accept Disney is long done with the lands based on umbrella themes. Besides opening Shanghai with some traditional lands... they haven't added a land like 'adventureland' since 2012/13 when Grizzly + Mystic point were added to HK. The lone except is Tokyo's new Fantasy Springs... which we all know Toyko still marches to their own drum.

Everything done in the last 10+ years is anchored around specific brands, and often a specific place. Instead of large areas with broad strokes tying things together... we get more smaller, focused, IP based 'lands'.

I think it's all still byproduct of WWoHP. That formula changed themed parks and we're still seeing it in how Disney designs expansions now a decade later.

What is different now is Disney is finally to the point of encroaching and replacing the incumbents with the new formula instead of keeping away.

CoasterCowboy67

They are going in that direction at DAK - I wouldn’t say it’s done.
And FWIW, they’re saying Cars will be an expansion of Frontierland, and not its own actual mini-land

Villains is another umbrella land coming, too

I think the original point is valid, but we’re perhaps just now seeing a recalibration to not be all single IP lands

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I went through the art closely again. Take this with a grain of salt as it’s just my read. I also know Disney’s mixed track record of slashing concept art, but I feel there’s reason to believe we’re in for a period of meaningful investment. My reasons: (1) commitments they’ve made on $B to be invested, (2) pressure from Universal / Epic, (3) issues with Tiana — leads me to believe they’re not going to cut egregious corners and end up with a crappy product. I think D23, and what was a pretty remarkable number of announcements, was itself a positive sign. Now they gotta back it up. Timing-wise, I think this is all going to be slow lol

1. On closer look, the overhead and supporting concept art clearly shows start and finish lines with cars lined up side by side. So I do think we’re in for a race with losers / winners like RSR assuming nothing changes

View attachment 812364

2. I see quite a bit of water throughout y’all. One that caught my eye is around Big Thunder where the area doesn’t look colored like a path or foliage. Makes me think they’re keeping the ride’s signature turn over the water line in the form of a small lake / pond. Could make for a great picture, and allow us to see it from closer than we can today

View attachment 812366

3. This really looks like multi-level waterfalls on the left into a stream down below. You can see the small retaining walls on the track above and below the area I think is a stream

View attachment 812367

4. Above the yellow car is a path with the 4 vertical flags. Just above that I see a stream running horizontal with a large pathway bridge on the right and the smaller bridge on the left just by the RSN sign. That would mean they’re bringing water into the center of the area, not just in perimeter stuff. And connected to this potential lake / pond I see near Big Thunder. Again, would be nice

View attachment 812370

5. This pretty clearly looks like a bridge over water with folks walking on it. Actually looks like some of the existing over-water walkway in front of Diamond Horseshoe today which has a similar looking bend over the water
View attachment 812372

6. The cars come out of a cave? I hadn’t noticed that before! Maybe they do a short show scene. And this I can’t get from the art and is total armchair, but if they give the building below an elevated deck / floor to ceiling windows, would make for quite a beautiful table service restaurant with panorama views of the area

View attachment 812368
Honestly the more you zoom in on the art it just looks AI generated to me. Are the cars driving away from the walkway on the bottom left of the second image? Also the fact that the facades of frontier land are actually from Paris.

celluloid

Disney is absolutely, undoubtedly, "other affirmative word" more accommodating to families than Universal is. I have to believe it is a conscious decision by Universal to push their attractions to be for families that are no longer using strollers.

Basic dark rides have height requirements and roller coaster restraints. There is very little for a child under the age of 3 to do in a Universal park.
For sure It is a bit of an issue. And it is something that is slowly bht definitely being worked on as a next phase. That is why recent focus was on kid appeal. DreamWorks and Illumination. Needs more.
Very different from the early days when Universal Sudios was entirely accessible(even when scary)
Disney is fine lately taking that change to more limiting as their recent builds are primarily coasters. Saving grace for them is the design has been 42 inch for Guardians.

celluloid

I haven’t ridden the Universal Mario Kart ride yet, but I hope it’s fun. Although part of me wonders what could’ve been if they used this new trackless system Disney seems to be using for
For me, any track less ride outside of Mystic Manor has been largely a waste of budget. Beauty and The Beast in Tokyo maybe a close second. Most don't utilize it to an advantage of rider impact.

Last edited:

J4546

I haven’t ridden the Universal Mario Kart ride yet, but I hope it’s fun. Although part of me wonders what could’ve been if they used this new trackless system Disney seems to be using for Cars
its ok. Def not as good as a MK ride should have been but also not as bad as FnF Supercharged. I just wish they had really gone a different way with it, it coulda been spectacular imo.

CoasterCowboy67

Honestly the more you zoom in on the art it just looks AI generated to me. Are the cars driving away from the walkway on the bottom left of the second image? Also the fact that the facades of frontier land are actually from Paris.
I think the cars turn just in front of that walkway in that second photo. Because it’s in the back from our vantage point, the space is more compressed

Someone drew this guess at the layout on Reddit, and I think it makes sense to my eye

1725047584408.png

PizzaPlanet

For me, any track less ride outside of Mystic Manor has been largely a waste of budget. Beauty and The Beast in Tonyo maybe a close second. Most don't utilize it to an advantage of rider impact.
Fair point, but this seems to be a different animal due to the possible speed and elevation changes

celluloid

Fair point, but this seems to be a different animal due to the possible speed and elevation changes
Makes me all the more hesitant. What does being trackless ads to guest experience vs a subtle track? Itnid great outside and when the road path is seen it is great, like Kong.
But without multiple paths and never knowing the programming, trackless just seems kind of pointless. Unless we are getting to were it is overdone.

Trackless outside would be more complex as many things can be in the ride path causing issue, and likely not as high speed.

Last edited:

CoasterCowboy67

Makes me all the more hesitant. What does being trackless ads to guest experience vs a subtle track? Itnid great outside and when the road path is seen it is great, like Kong.
But without multiple maiden paths and never knowing the programming, trackless just seems kind of pointless. Unless we are getting to were it is overdone.

Trackless outside would be more complex as many things can be in the ride path causing issue, and likely not as high speed.
Unpredictability

ChrisFL

Premium Member
While AI "art" is problematic in many ways, I don't think we should start labeling concept art like this as AI generated.

It seems more like they took resources from various places and want to make the specifics vague for now until they have more concrete plans.

SpaceMountain77

It doesn't look AI generated, but it looks cobbled together and "shopped."

On TikTok, one user said that the storefronts in Frontierland are those of Disneyland Paris, not Magic Kingdom. He noted where the entrances to Country Bear Musical Jamboree and Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe should be, but are not as they are presently. He thought it appeared to be a poor cut and paste in a design software.

TrainsOfDisney

Unlike the Liberty Belle, the train always appears to have a healthy ridership.
Yes, and hopefully that will be enough but honestly that may be a problem since it requires 2 trains (and they used to rain 3 on busy days).

I’m just looking at the facts…. Steamboat, Red Car Trolley….. what’s next on that list? Yes, the train has attendance so hopefully that saves it but if they want an excuse “Villains land” would be it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom