News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

CoasterCowboy67

The magic kingdom is built on highly realistic sets and images. All of the forms of transportation are realistic - the railroad locomotives even fly green flags and lanterns and have a period appropriate drumhead on the back.
And yet these modes of transport take you to lands where you see critters playing in a New Orleans band, talking toys battling a galactic emperor, and monsters telling jokes

The Cars ride is not a mode of transportation, it’s an attraction with talking cars. Set in the Frontier

Chef idea Mickey`=

I kind of agree but also part of me is happy that this isn’t a clone. Actually it’s a completely different ride system, so more than just a theming change. Not arguing placement of the attraction but this has some potential to be really good or even great. With that said this is a high risk move and could potentially not work out.
I rather a clone land just to see if they can pull off whatever they already have. If you want to add a different ride system since it's Florida then means necessary. At least it would've been an indepth expansion because the whole Radiator Spring's Cars Land would not fit where ROA is. If they decided that on where ROA is I would say it wouldn't work.

If they do not get this right and on the level of a Cars experience same quality as DCA then they are doomed. This is not Hollywood Studios your talking about this is Magic Kingdom and your sacrificing it on a part of an existing land that people used for purposes which they couldn't do in the rest of the park. This is their last chance for the domestic parks. Everyone knows they won't screw Avatar over coast.

CoasterCowboy67

I kind of agree but also part of me is happy that this isn’t a clone. Actually it’s a completely different ride system, so more than just a theming change. Not arguing placement of the attraction but this has some potential to be really good or even great.
Exactly. Very little talk here around getting a brand new ride and ride system (first of its kind at a park anywhere?) which people here are always clamoring for. How we’ll go up rocky slopes and wade through ponds.

So. Much. Pessimism.

Disstevefan1

ItsOKgrandPa.jpg

Incomudro

I rather a clone land just to see if they can pull off whatever they already have. If you want to add a different ride system since it's Florida then means necessary. At least it would've been an indepth expansion because the whole Radiator Spring's Cars Land would not fit where ROA is. If they decided that on where ROA is I would say it wouldn't work.

If they do not get this right and on the level of a Cars experience same quality as DCA then they are doomed. This is not Hollywood Studios your talking about this is Magic Kingdom and your sacrificing it on a part of an existing land that people used for purposes which they couldn't do in the rest of the park. This is their last chance for the domestic parks. Everyone knows they won't screw Avatar over coast.
As of now, I've got very little faith in this ride system.
I'd be far more happy if the ride system was the Test Track ride system that Radiator Springs has.
I like that ride system a lot, as I know it's capable of great speeds, sharp turns, and sudden stops.
It's fun.
I'm going to have to see what the ride system for the Pave the Waterways ride system is.
As of now, I don't believe it's going to be very quick.
The press release says "Thrilling race," but it doesn't say "high speed."

Quietmouse

Exactly. Very little talk here around getting a brand new ride and ride system (first of its kind at a park anywhere?) which people here are always clamoring for. How we’ll go up rocky slopes and wade through ponds.

So. Much. Pessimism.

It’s a super cool concept if it’s indeed trackless.

What would be even be more interesting if this unique ride system was accompanied with guests that actually, “race”, each other.

Obviously the, “cars” will drive/race themselves (to stay true the ip), but I’m curious if they are able to simulate a race environment where algorithms allow for new, “winners” each round while simulating a genuine race environment around the lap.

Would make for a very intriguing attraction concept, and something that the Mario kart attraction in universal should have/could have been.

CoasterCowboy67

What would be even be more interesting if this unique ride system was accompanied with guests that actually, “race”, each other.

Obviously the, “cars” will drive/race themselves (to stay true the ip), but I’m curious if they are able to simulate a race environment where algorithms allow for new, “winners” each round while simulating a genuine race environment around the lap.

Would make for a very intriguing attraction concept, and something that the Mario kart attraction in universal should have/could have been.
Great points for sure. Mario Kart is cool, but never quite reaches the illusion of actual racing

I thought some of the concept art for Cars showed some side by side cars, so maybe it’s like RSR where there’s a section where you compete with others

I’m actually quite fond of RSR, and that competitive component. I think that ride really saves DCA. Was hoping we’d get it in Hollywood Studios but I won’t be disappointed if we get something with that same spirit and detail but with a new ride system

Incomudro

I don't know if Disney is willing to risk a winner.
Because for every winner, there is a family - likely with a little kid - who would have to lose to that other group of people.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't know if Disney is willing to risk a winner.
Because for every winner, there is a family - likely with a little kid - who would have to lose to that other group of people.
They do it at Radiator Springs.

I’m so over the trackless thing… I remember riding the penguin ride at sea world thinking “oh this is unimpressive, I guess only Disney can do it right” - nope. That’s all it is. Haha

Bocabear

So. Much. Pessimism.
you have to admit, fundamentally changing the entire feel of the iconic Magic Kingdom park....and I mean forever changing it...there is no going back... For a Cars Ride, which does not feel like the best franchise for this park at all..is going to illicit some angst handles by the best of companies...and let's face it...they are not in a period of overwhelming success with their projects lately....Hard to be optimistic after the mostly terrible "reimagining of Epcot" we endured years of construction for very little payoff and had any parts of that plan that actually sounded great, cancelled or value engineered out of existence.... So now a new plan... there are other parks that fit this better... there are other parks that need more than MK does...there are other areas of the Magic Kingdom that need to be fixed and reopened... This is an odd plan, and in the end I don't think they will do it right... So I am a bit of a pessimist on this... Even the location is not from the actual Cars Films...an unknown location..kind of like SWGE...

Bocabear

Does RSR do that?
no
And I think the DCA version of Carsland is spectacular... They did an amazing job with it...every little piece of it was beautifully done. The key ride is great, all of the additional things are extremely well done.... But that was the Disney of15 years ago...they were still willing to spend crazy amounts of money to do it right... Today's meaner leaner Disney will not produce the same quality...if they can, they choose not to... Not in Florida anyway.

Last edited:

Incomudro

you have to admit, fundamentally changing the entire feel of the iconic Magic Kingdom park....and I mean forever changing it...there is no going back... For a Cars Ride, which does not feel like the best franchise for this park at all..is going to illicit some angst handles by the best of companies...and let's face it...they are not in a period of overwhelming success with their projects lately....Hard to be optimistic after the mostly terrible "reimagining of Epcot" we endured years of construction for very little payoff and had any parts of that plan that actually sounded great, cancelled or value engineered out of existence.... So now a new plan... there are other parks that fit this better... there are other parks that need more than MK does...there are other areas of the Magic Kingdom that need to be fixed and reopened... This is an odd plan, and in the end I don't think they will do it right... So I am a bit of a pessimist on this... Even the location is not from the actual Cars Films...an unknown location..kind of like SWGE...
You are a pessimist now (as I am) because Disney made you that way.
I would have been branded a Pixie Duster up 'till recently.

Bocabear

And really I have been a Disney cheerleader for most of my life... We have annual passes, bought into DVC, used to take lots of trips there a year...it is just getting crazy in the last 10 years.... Prices are getting more and more ridiculous, the planning has become more and more difficult...and quite frankly aside from Guardians that I really enjoy, the last projects have all been just ok....and some bad....

CoasterCowboy67

Well you did hit my biggest point of frustration with this plan — not the thematic fit or even the elimination of ROA — but the tons of additions going to Magic Kingdom which does not need it, especially after recently getting Tron.

I agree I would have much rather seen Radiator Springs (the whole land cloned, even) in Hollywood Studios. Villains as the big thing for MK was way more than enough if they could figure out traffic flow and paths

CoasterCowboy67

Does RSR do that?
Yeah — so the last segment of the ride, your car and the one immediately behind (or in front of) you line up next to each other and you do a big “race” outside like Test Track’s outdoor portion, but longer and side by side. It’s randomized who of the cars wins but there’s always back and forth of the cars passing each other at different parts. It’s really fun to see who ends up crossing the finish line first, and makes you want to ride again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom